Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 10:02:55 PM EDT
www.tacticalcustoms.com/new%20products.htm

This was posted on Calguns.net. It looks like there's going to be a new CA legal maker for AR receivers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No pictures of the actual design? Or description of how it's been neutered?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
It's likely to be either like the Fab-10 or Vulcan with different caliber Mags fixed in the well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
As I figured, but hoped otherwise.

Why can't someone just design a traditional lower (sans pistol grip) that accepts standard AR-15 uppers?

I'm sure many folks would sell off their FAB-10's and Vulcan's.

At least it would provide us with the choice of using detachable magazines.

A guy can dream.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember seeing them months ago at the Cow Palace show.  They said their version was going to load from the side, so you wont have to break open the AR shotgun style, like the current FAB or Vulcan.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:43:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As I figured, but hoped otherwise.

Why can't someone just design a traditional lower (sans pistol grip) that accepts standard AR-15 uppers?

I'm sure many folks would sell off their FAB-10's and Vulcan's.

A guy can dream.

There was that guy that tried to place a second trigger where the pistol grip was and then put a normal stock on it, but that seems to have been abandoned. What most people fail to realize is that they need not keep the design of the AR and just slightly change it to make it legal. As long as you have the flat plane with the mag well and bolt stop in the same place with a hammer in the same location hitting with equal force, it will work. I have been toying with the idea of getting a pistol buffer tube with the telescoping  plunger and mounting it inside a traditional style stock, positioning a trigger in the normal spot, and then making an extended hammer release and having the front end be close to the same as an AR. Think of a Kel-Tec but with the ability to remove the upper and use standard AR uppers. I was hoping they would have done that, but they didn't.

As you said though, we can dream.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
couldn't the 22 version have a pistol grip?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#7]
It MIGHT also be able to have more than 10 rounds, assuming the mag is permanently attached.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]

It doesn't accept AR uppers, but it does accept AR mags and is a "traditional" lower:

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the extra hole (in front of the front sight post) for?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It doesn't accept AR uppers, but it does accept AR mags and is a "traditional" lower:

How is that a traditional lower? Or do you mean rifle type lower?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What's the extra hole (in front of the front sight post) for?

Probably 2nd screw hole for sight mount.

He means traditional rifle called not martini but m_ _ _ _ that phrase ????
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The KelTec is a plastic piece of crap. Yay it accepts AR magazines, but wow, the amount of flimsy plastic on it makes me wonder why people buy them. Shot a friend's at the range and it was terrible.

Not to say it can't be improved to something nice, but it'll have to come that way stock before I buy one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a suggestion.  Why don't they just make an AR lower which would only accept it's own detactable magazine? I mean .. like make a magazine slot  that is different from all other AR magazine slot out there, so that specifie AR lower will only accept that one kind of Magazine, you know? hope you guys know what i'm talking about.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#15]
With a pistol grip, it can only accept a detachable mag if it's rimfire. Otherwise, it'd be a so called "assault weapon."
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I witnessed a brand new, out of the box SU16 go down in a class, due to a weak firing pin spring.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I witnessed a brand new, out of the box SU16 go down in a class, due to a weak firing pin spring.

I've seen them in person and handled them but never shot one.  Personally,  I think it is a total piece of shit.  The one I saw had plastic sights!

It is not even close to the quality of an AR.

So what about the M96?  I've seen pictures of those without a pistol grip.  Anyone have any info on those?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a SU-16 and am very happy with it.  My son-in-law (7th Special Forces) got it for me and put about 500rds thru it before I got it.  He really liked it and kinda didn't want to pass it along.  I've got about 3-400 rounds thru it now and it has performed flawlessly.  About as accurate as my 14.5in AR.  I like its light waight and lighter recoil. Like it better than my Mini-14.  Only complaint I have is that the mag-well is tight.  Can't drop free my mags.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Like it better than my Mini-14.  

I believe I'd like a broom stick better than a Mini-14
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I was all set and ready to go buy a Kel-Tec SU16CA until I got to the store and held it.  It felt like a toy gun.  I ended up saving up more money and buying an M1A Scout instead.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It felt like a toy gun.

That's what a lot of fuggers say about the AR15!  I've never handled the Kel-Tec, but it sure is fugly... The break down/stowage feature might be handy though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:56:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Bump - anyone have anymore info?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:54:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Bump - anyone have anymore info?

I emailed them twice over the last few weeks, right after the post was made on CalGuns,  no reply to either emails.  I'm not holding my breath with customer service like that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#24]
No response to me either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I emailed them too but no response.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Like it better than my Mini-14.  

I believe I'd like a broom stick better than a Mini-14

That's harsh, but funny.  I once asked a gunsmith about buying a Mini-14 with a folder in the pre-ban days based on the fact that NYPD ESU used AC-556s.  He told me the Mini-14s was a bad redesign of the M-1 Garand and M-14.  He was right.  ESU eventually got rid of their AC-556s and went to M-16s.  Transferrable AC-556s aren't very expensive (in relative terms for a MG), which leads me to believe, rightly or wrongly, that they are in the same league as Reisings.  Finicky.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top