Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 1:47:30 AM EDT
When obtaining a CCW license, do you need to quilify with the weapon you intend to carry?

What if you have more than one handgun that you intend to carry?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll be required to take a class with a certain number of hours of instruction from a certified instructor. This class will include live fire. If you can't keep 'em on target, the instructor won't sign off on you.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to qualify with all of the weapons you listed on the application.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When obtaining a CCW license, do you need to quilify with the weapon you intend to carry?

Yes.

What if you have more than one handgun that you intend to carry?

You can qualify up to three.  Also, depending on the agency, you may have to bring the weapons to the armorer to have them certify the trigger pull.  SBDO has no certification.  OCSD does.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The qualification is not only firearm model specific, it’s s/n specific.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
In OC, you will need to take 16hr class include live fire qualification(72rd for each weapon) for the first time applicant. When renewal, 4 hr class include live fire qualification (72rd for each weapon). OCSD range master will inspect your weapon before you put it on your CCW (to make sure no one carrys a hair trigger IPSC race gun for CCW), then you take the approve paperwork to Santa Ana Professional Standard Division to have your CCW type up. Madmax is right, only the serial number specific gun that's on your CCW can be carried. You can add/remove gun from your CCW if desired, and fee right now is $10. You still have to qualify and have OCSD range master inspect the weapon you plan to replace/add to your existing CCW. The $10 does not include any qualification fee.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In OC, you will need to take 16hr class include live fire qualification(72rd for each weapon) for the first time applicant. When renewal, 4 hr class include live fire qualification (72rd for each weapon). OCSD range master will inspect your weapon before you put it on your CCW (to make sure no one carrys a hair trigger IPSC race gun for CCW), then you take the approve paperwork to Santa Ana Professional Standard Division to have your CCW type up. Madmax is right, only the serial number specific gun that's on your CCW can be carried. You can add/remove gun from your CCW if desired, and fee right now is $10. You still have to qualify and have OCSD range master inspect the weapon you plan to replace/add to your existing CCW. The $10 does not include any qualification fee.

Does it get added to a data base type of thing, where if you get 4 approved you can have 3 on your CCW and then change it back to having the 4th gun minusan other later on? (confussing as hell, I know)

For example, can you have 2 all the time guns and 1 for winter and 1 for summer and just pay the fee(s) to switch them at the right time, or does it require re-inspection of the handgun irregardless of how many times it has been inspected?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The county I live in (Placer) charges a change fee to remove or add firearms (3 max at any one time). For example if I sold a “permitted” carry firearm and wanted to update/add a new ccw firearm, I would be charged once to remove the sold firearm and charged again to add the new firearm.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Does it get added to a data base type of thing, where if you get 4 approved you can have 3 on your CCW and then change it back to having the 4th gun minusan other later on? (confussing as hell, I know)

For example, can you have 2 all the time guns and 1 for winter and 1 for summer and just pay the fee(s) to switch them at the right time, or does it require re-inspection of the handgun irregardless of how many times it has been inspected?

Haha, I really wish that's the case, but unfortunately no. There are no database, so if you have a summer gun and winter gun that you would like to add seasonally, you will have to pay a instructor to certify the gun, have OCSD range master inspect and pay $10 at OCSD PSD to update your CCW every time you wish to change. A lot of hassle if you ask me (schedule time with your instructor, bring your gun to OCSD range, then go to Santa Ana to update your CCW. At this point. financial issue is not that much of a big deal, time is). I'd say you put your summer gun, winter gun and another all time gun and forget about the idea of updating it seasonally. Not much point switching between seasons, especially around SoCal anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top