Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 6:11:02 PM EDT
I saw the following ad on gunsamerica:

"limited availabilty, colt lower receiver as pictured. include california dept of justice letter approving and granting legal status to this colt lower. lower is complete no butt stock add. your own collapsable or fixed stock and top end. this is a genuine colt marked lower receiver. we rarely sell just the lower these are display samples that are in new unfired condition. ask us about building a complete rifle in what ever legal configuration you want.  "

What's the story with these?  Can these lowers be built into a grandfathered AR15?

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976634810.htm
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
They can NOT be grandfathered in. They seem to be overpriced receivers with the bottom ot eh magazine well welded closed... Otherwise I have no idea how they're legal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Even if they do have welded up magazine wells, they are true "Colt AR-15 Series" rifles in every interpretation of the law.

They may not be illegal according to 12276.1 (the characteristic ban) but they sure as hell are illegal under 12276 (the named weapons).

12276. As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:

(5) Colt AR-15 series.

It's not like they are a welded up Bushmaster XM15E2S.

The DOJ's interpretation of what is legal and what isn't, is completely F@CKED UP!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't care less if its legal or not, have a look at that price
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#4]
It's the same thing as the California Bushmaster.  These guys are the ones that do the work on them for CABushmaster, and since they are a Ca AW FFL holder, they decided to start selling the "Colt Version" and bad mouth the Cabushmaster (not that I like them, I'll take $250 Vulcans all day over those $$$ Hacks) and claim they have better quality since it's a "Colt".

The emails I got back from them were quite funny to read.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So in this case it is cheaper to build a lower

I think if the mag well is closed, it makes the receiver legal, similar to the Bushmaster "series" now being legal.

One thing missing is the fixed 10rd mag which should be visible?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think if the mag well is closed, it makes the receiver legal, similar to the Bushmaster "series" now being legal.

Not necasarily, the FAB10 doesn't have a visible magazine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not necasarily, the FAB10 doesn't have a visible magazine.

The top of the mag should be visible, you should be able to see the feed lips.  Those pics appear to be Colt lowers that were not yet modified.  The owner claimed in his emails to me that "we have have converted many hunders of these" and "have sold about a dozen sofar this weekend online".  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#8]
These are the same people that refused to sell stripped bushmaster lowers because they said it was agiast the law becuase you would avoid some b.s. tax. I say they can take there over price lower and shove them up you know where because that is the only place they are wanted.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Since they are not marked AR15, and the series ban was struck down by the state supreme court.....

The main problem, is that NO FFL DEALER has balls to challenge, and sell lowers, despite the fact they can.

I would say, if he's willing to DROS (?) the thing for you guys, $1k is nothing.  A CAR parts kit runs about $4-500, and at $1500, that's still cheaper than those FAB-10's, or Welded up Vulcans they're pushing on you guys.

I'd jump on it, if he's willing to sell to you guys......of course, I wouldn't need to, I still can buy $85 lowers all day long.

IMHO
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt is named on the DOJ list as an assault weapon in PRK; not that it matters in this case because these are neutered just like FAB-10s.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Colt is named on the DOJ list as an assault weapon in PRK; not that it matters in this case because these are neutered just like FAB-10s.

Bummer....I just told a few friends, thought maybe they'd get lucky.

Oh well.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top