BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 10:20:11 PM EDT
Take a look at the color change down at the south end of the Salton Sea

pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/step/

We've just topped off our supplies.  Think I'll pick up another case of MREs
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a good local place for MRE's? Or is it easier/cheaper to just order them from CTD or something?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#2]
They can't accurately predict earthquakes.

The only reason for the color change down by the Salton Sea is because they had a 5.1 earthquake there on Thursday. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that theres a higher chance of an aftershock after siesmic activity of that level.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the recent activity... www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Maps/116-33.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
anything i need can be obtained...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
anything i need can be obtained...

That's a good way to find a neighbor who's OpSec is better than yours.  (Especially if he is a better shot).

I get my MRE's at the commissary at LA Air Force Station.  Not sure where I'd recommend.  May even get slightly better prices at surplus places for some that have expeired shelf lives but are still good.

All my batteries are charged for my amateur radios.  Extra (extra soft) all-purpose paper,  replenished all camping supplies and materials, ater vacation.

I'ld plan on a weeks worth of water depending on where you are.  If you are on LA DWP or MWD at least a week.  City or other pumped water, still at least 3-4 days.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a place that I found that has all sorts of SHTF supplies: www.geoduck.com/epicenter/order.cgi?page=mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html&cart_id=

One important thing for people to have IMO is water purification capabilities of some sort.  Especaily if you live in the country with any fresh running water near by (ie. a steam, creek, river, etc.), it might come in handy to at least have some iodine tabs.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I get my MRE's at the commissary at LA Air Force Station.

Is that the AF Base in El Segundo? I haven't had a chance to check out the commissaries in CA yet so this may be a good excuse to go...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I get my MRE's at the commissary at LA Air Force Station.

Is that the AF Base in El Segundo? I haven't had a chance to check out the commissaries in CA yet so this may be a good excuse to go...

The commissaries seem to be cut from the usual mold.  The  Exchange is pretty much a standard medium sized Army/AF Exchange.  The customer base is primarily retirees and mid-grade to senior officers and enlisted, and the selection is skewed to that as much as they can skew things.  The base is primarily R&D in high tech systems, strategic systems and the like.  By no means a troop center.

There is an Exchange at Los Alamitos, but I haven't been there in years, think it is almost identical to the LA AFS exchange but the uniform shop has more troop items since the base also has various Army Reserve and National Guard units stationed there.

For some reason I'm thinking the commissary is still open at El Toro, but again although it is closest I  haven't been there in years.  Frankly I never found the LA or OC area commissaries or exchanges worth the trip unless I was in the area anyway.  I'm a grey area Reserve retiree and  and until they expanded the privileges I seldomly went.  Even now not more than once or twice a year.

Now the Navy Exchanges (including Pt. Hueneme and Pt. Mugu) are run by the Navy Exchange and they are better but not worth a special trip.

The Marine Exchanges at Pendleton and Miramar are both real nice.  Pendleton has tactical gear and guns.  Miramar some tactical gear.  Not sure about MCRD, they used to have guns but  they had moved them each of the last few times I went by and as I wasn't in the market I didn't take the time to look for them.

The ladies at Pendleton were really good about things and  although they are not firearms experts (although one was smarter about things than a few of the customers) they were well versed in all the paperwork requirements and  put me in touch with their vendor  reps when I was looking for something special.  Commissaries same cookie cutter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top