Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 9:41:07 AM EDT
I am trying to plan a camping trip in the desert for my family and would like to find a location that allows shooting.  I live in Orange county so the location would have to be in southern California.  This event would be a two day/one night deal.  

Does anyone have  anysuggestions?  Directions/information/ recent personal experiences.

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Use to go here www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=3799 plenty of space around it to shoot. Keep an eye out for four wheelers and dirt bikes, plenty of hills to shoot into.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tip.  Do you have any specific directions or location.  I have the following map and do not know where to begin in choosing a good campsite.  Where do you prefer to go at this site
?
http://members.aol.com/martin123email/private/ord1

members.aol.com/martin123email/private/ord2

thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
looks like my backyard, home away from home.

blm land will do.

meat
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Get off Hwy 40 at the Yermo/Daggett exit, go right and the road dead ends into a "T" in a couple hundred feet. Go left and follow Camp Rock Rd., drive as far back in as you feel like going.

We use to drive in about 12 miles, there's a couple spots that the road gets rough. I wouldn't take a small car there, the underside would probably get chewed up or it would get stuck. If you look at the lower map there's a split in Camp Rock by the Aztec spring, it circles around the front of Ord Mtn. and comes back into Camp Rock over by Willis Well. That road is hard to drive over unless you have a truck, preferrably a 4WD. If you stay on Camp Rock Rd. and come around from the Willis Well side there's a small valley about where the "G" is in Aztec Spring. We estimated a clean shot from where we were sitting off the road to be about 800 yards. This would be looking down from Aztec Spring towards Sweetwater Spring.

This area is very remote, don't go alone, the last thing you'll need to do is walk out. Be sure you and anyone else that goes has recovery gear to get out incase you get stuck or has a problem. In all the times I went out there we only had 1 vehicle that got a flat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to recommend checking the BLM Barstow site for more specifics on the shooting areas out there.  A lot of the area by 247 and south of the 40 is off limits, and has been for many many years.  County Ordinances, and private property.

The BLM site is more or less offline.  Most BLM sites are "temporarily" down.  Some security concerns or something.  Haven't been available for a few years now.  If I recall correctly theoretically almost everything between 247 and the Marine Base is off limits until you get out past Newberry Springs and then anything that isnt private property is OK.  Maybe calling the BLM in Barstow would get you the right info.

I know the SBCSO in Victorville were worthless when we checked with them.  The info they provided was bullshit and I told the Watch Commander that.

Does the BLM patrol and enforce County Ordinancess.  They did fifteen -20 years ago.  Do they now? I don't know.  As long as you are away from private property, other structures and the off0highway vehicle areas you should be fine.

We usually go out past the area marked as Pisgah on the first map.  The area between the Marine Base and 40 is available although some private property, haven't been on the the north side of 40 since we like the area we go to.

In any case I wouldn't go without at least 2 vehicles and lots  of water.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]
We actually talked to a Ranger out there before, "she" said that she didn't care if we were shooting out there. What she didn't want to see was trash left or any bottles being shot as there is cattle out there. Just remember the old saying, "if you pack it in, pack it out".
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#8]
50_Shooter

Thanks for the information.  I plan to rent a SUV for the trip and may have my friends in another car as well.  Is there any part of the road were a regular truck my go with out high risk?  

How far in your 12 mile drive does is get rough, or is it spotty through out the route?  This seems like the best option so far unless anyone else chimes in.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
PaDanby

To keep my options open, could you give me some more details about your camping/shooting location at Pisgah.  I appreciate the information you guys are giving me.

http://members.aol.com/martin123email/private/pisgah
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
It's been a few years since I've been to this spot. For the most part the road in is good, I think Camp Rock Rd. is maintained to some extent. It's the road crossing around the front of Ord Mtn. that can be really rough. I think there was one spot a few miles in on Camp Rock Rd. where it gets kinda twisty, the road was soft with sand and loose rocks. Other then that it had some other spots where you had to slow down and drive over washboard conditions.

Like I said, it's been a few years since I went out there. With all the rain we had earlier this year and the recent thunderstorms, there's no telling how good the road conditions are. Take your time driving in, enjoy the desert sights and do some shooting. If you plan on going anytime soon bring lots of water like PaDanby said, it's hot in the desert right now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Take 40 out to Hector Rd.  Get off onto National Trails (Old 66) and turn east .  At the tracks take the road alongside the tracks on the south side A few miles on you see a road off to the south toward the dry lake. You are now at Lavic on the map.  The RR has removed the old crossing of the tracks and the old siding and the remnants of the loading ramps.  Turn south and about a half to 3/4 mile down is where I usually go.  We usually shoot to the west toward the lava flow.  In the past you could take the paved road to where it turned and crossed 40, you just turned the other way and it was only about 1/4 mile to the crossing since removed.  You can do that and about a half mile east is a large culvert under the tracks you can drive under, but I've found that the sand can be almost dust and easy to dig your wheels into, the gravel isn't much better and if it has filled in from the storms you might not fit through.

In years past I've seen Marines using that as a back route into the base.  Not lately.  The Base border is pretty well marked down by the dry lake.  The lake is an impact area on the south side.  We camped there with the Boy Scouts in 1969 and found a lot of blue 20mm projectiles just over the line.

Another caution, I came too damn close to digging into the pea gravel in the dry creek bed when we tried to drive down to see the earthquake fault line.  As long as you stay on or close to the road the surface is fine, the dry creek beds are treacherous.  Nothing to get traction on.  Evidence of other shooters there, but I've never seen any.  Just rockhounds camping several times.  Interesting watching the trains at night.  They average about 15 minutes apart.

NO WATER near.  The  I-40 Rest Area water is posted as non-potable.  Used to be ok, I think but would not want to bet too much that it is mineral content  from the Newberry Springs.  Beautiful downtown Ludlow is about 6 miles east via the RR, or any of the roads.  Used to be a booming town.  headquarters and shops for Tonapah and Tidewater RR, running north to the goldfields east of Death Valley, and a narrow gauge rr ran south to a few mining centers to the south.  Now it has the last gas stations between there and Needles.  And a few other residents.  Some treasure seekers busted down most of the Hotel ruin and the locals are pretty wary of strangers, so if you go exploring there do it toward the west side and stay away from posted areas.  It's not quite a ghost town but they don't want to lose any more.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Lavic seems to be the best route for moderate road conditions.  How far off the road do you usually drive to pick a campsite location once you are 3/4 miles down of Lavic and the railroad crossing?   Will a minivan be able to make this route, or should I go ahead and rent an SUV?

Sorry for so many questions. I like to be as prepared as possible.  Everyones info has been very helpful.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#15]
FYI:  I will follow up with BLM

Quote:

Dear Martin;
Murl has placed your question in the right Field Office (Barstow). To
answer your question sir, you are able to shoot Anything
(shootgun-rifle-pistol) North of the 40, but you must make sure you are on
BLM land because you need permission to shoot on private property, and from
what I see on our map there is a strip of private property near lavic. If
you would like we have maps available $4.00 per map and the map which would
cover your interested area would be Newberry. If there is anything further
that I may assist you with please feel free to email me or give our office
a call our hours are, Monday - Friday 7:45 am - 4:30 pm.

Sincerely

Lillie Cooper
BLM-Contact Representative
Barstow Field Office
2601 Barstow Road
Barstow, CA
(760) 252-6000
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Passenger car accessible (assuming your tires can take the beating, there are some sharp rocks around).  I just turn off the dirt road.  There is posted private property west of there toward the cinder cone.  No signs anywhere near the area I go to.  There is a strip of BLM land between the Marine Base and Old 66.  

Your highlighted route is almost correct.  As you come east on National Trails (Old 66) and get to the rr crossing, turn off and follow the road alongside the southside of the  rr tracks to Lavic and turn south.  The route you have marked isn't passable for passenger cars.  The crossing at Lavic has been removed , and the culvert to the east is definitely a trap for 2 wheel drive vehicles.  The sand is almost dust and the larger sand and gravel is so loosely packed you will dig in.

If you can find them in the archives Ive posted pix of the area and Ma Danby in the past in this and the General Discussion.  The photos were hosted on Hunt101 and I think they are gone from there now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Take 40 out to Hector Rd.  Get off onto National Trails (Old 66) and turn east .  At the tracks take the road alongside the tracks on the south side A few miles on you see a road off to the south toward the dry lake. You are now at Lavic on the map.  The RR has removed the old crossing of the tracks and the old siding and the remnants of the loading ramps.  Turn south and about a half to 3/4 mile down is where I usually go.  We usually shoot to the west toward the lava flow.  In the past you could take the paved road to where it turned and crossed 40, you just turned the other way and it was only about 1/4 mile to the crossing since removed.  You can do that and about a half mile east is a large culvert under the tracks you can drive under, but I've found that the sand can be almost dust and easy to dig your wheels into, the gravel isn't much better and if it has filled in from the storms you might not fit through.

In years past I've seen Marines using that as a back route into the base.  Not lately.  The Base border is pretty well marked down by the dry lake.  The lake is an impact area on the south side.  We camped there with the Boy Scouts in 1969 and found a lot of blue 20mm projectiles just over the line.

Another caution, I came too damn close to digging into the pea gravel in the dry creek bed when we tried to drive down to see the earthquake fault line.  As long as you stay on or close to the road the surface is fine, the dry creek beds are treacherous.  Nothing to get traction on.  Evidence of other shooters there, but I've never seen any.  Just rockhounds camping several times.  Interesting watching the trains at night.  They average about 15 minutes apart.

NO WATER near.  The  I-40 Rest Area water is posted as non-potable.  Used to be ok, I think but would not want to bet too much that it is mineral content  from the Newberry Springs.  Beautiful downtown Ludlow is about 6 miles east via the RR, or any of the roads.  Used to be a booming town.  headquarters and shops for Tonapah and Tidewater RR, running north to the goldfields east of Death Valley, and a narrow gauge rr ran south to a few mining centers to the south.  Now it has the last gas stations between there and Needles.  And a few other residents.  Some treasure seekers busted down most of the Hotel ruin and the locals are pretty wary of strangers, so if you go exploring there do it toward the west side and stay away from posted areas.  It's not quite a ghost town but they don't want to lose any more.

damin it pa , dont give eevryone directions to my house!! lol

see ya in sept. great camping pics , just beautiful
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks again for the information.  You guys made my planning much easier. If anyone want's to also chime in with info, every bit is helpful.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
15 to Hodge Road, exit, go over freeway, turn left... and stop wherever you'd like to camp. I've been shooting anywhere from 1/2 mile from freeway to 6 miles in.

-d
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#20]
lavic lake is part of the marine base i wouldn't go in thier unless ya want to catch some arty shrapnel we allways shoot out thier when i was statoned thier
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
lavic lake is part of the marine base i wouldn't go in thier unless ya want to catch some arty shrapnel we allways shoot out thier when i was statoned thier

If you follow the directions and stay north of the lake bed as mentioned, north of the boundaries posted, you don't have to worry about shrapnel out "there".  Lavic is the name of the former station on the RR at that point.  "There" is about a mile of BLM land between the RR and the north boundary of the base and the north side of the lake bed.   I've seen Marines use that road as a shortcut in to the base, I guess they went to Vegas but  ??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top