Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 8:14:27 PM EDT
The openhouse was cancelled last year because of the War in Iraq, but this year its on.
Want to see a F22 Raptor up close? A F117 Stealth fighter? This is the place.

Please check the website for specific info, there is some pretty interesting pics there:
www.edwards.af.mil/openhouse/index.html

2005 Open House and Air Show
Where: Edwards Air Force Base Flight Line
When: Saturday and Sunday, October 22 & 23
Gates open at 7 a.m., flying starts at 10 a.m., closes at 4:30 p.m.
Admission: Free
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
cool , thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
kelly johnson's "skunk works"  what a place of history.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Reminder for any folks thinking about going, make sure your gas tank is on the full side because the last time I went, it took us 2 hours just to get to the base parking lot. And also some water & eats. And also it was very hot, so dress accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
cool , thanks

No hot, very very hot.

I went to one back when I was in high school,  X-15, B-52, SR-71 and B-58 Hustlers were the stars.  (Yeah I'm kinda that old.)  Remember you're in a very hot sunny day on concrete with minimum shade.  Take lots and lots of water and keep yourself hydrated.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
kelly johnson's "skunk works"  what a place of history.

The Skunk Works was moved from Burbank to Palmdale at USAF Plant 42, although the things LM Aero (as it is known now) produces usually get flight tested there at EAFB.

For those going, if you must be there for the opener, then do plan to arrive early, especially if you come in through the west gate (Rosamond Blvd exit off the 14). South gate is usually less traveled however. If you can get there an hour or two after opener, you usually breeze right through. I was working there during an open house a couple years back, had to get there early, and I could not believe how many @ssholes were honking horns and were pissed off that I bypassed the long lines and drove right up to the gate (a couple of other drivers got behind me and Security Forces turned them back around and had to get in the back of the line again . Bring lots of water, and don't pack anything in your vehicle that you don't mind being found--you consent to total vehicle and personal search upon entering base.

I'm leaving here next week, permanently, but for those who are into acft, especially the F/A-22, this is the place to see some up close.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Fastest entry is through the north gate from CA58.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Fastest entry is through the north gate from CA58.

Who comes in from the north gate, people that live in North Edwards or CC?

just kidding!!

If you are coming from south of the base, I can't justify sending someone all the way around and out to north gate off the 58. Arrive at the west or south gate, say at 0900-0930, and there should be few cars in front of you. As far as parking, I can't say, I always had VIP parking passes--the parking may be a killer though.

And they mean it by wanting peple out of there on time--first responders cannot leave until all visitors have left the base, so give them a break and let them go home at a decent time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]
mike_556: I was there 2 years ago, they have Air Force personel start "herding" the public toward the exit at about 1630 or thereabouts, by around ~5pm the place is place is thinned out pretty good, but any ways a lot of people probably left before than because they are pretty worn out by that time because of the heat and the tremendous amount of walking.

When I was there 2 years ago, they had a Blackhawk helicopter circling the circumference of the public viewing area.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
warlord, USMC MAG 46, Det B, should be providing aerial security as well. Those pilots and crew are very friendly at their displays, and if you have kids, take them on over to the Marine displays and they'll be impressed. I never stayed anywhere near closing (since I could get away with it ), usually I go over to R&G to do some trap shooting on the way out....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
warlord, USMC MAG 46, Det B, should be providing aerial security as well. Those pilots and crew are very friendly at their displays, and if you have kids, take them on over to the Marine displays and they'll be impressed. I never stayed anywhere near closing (since I could get away with it ), usually I go over to R&G to do some trap shooting on the way out....

Thanks for the suggestion, will do. I stayed that long because I got there way too late to see everything. There much to see and do. Actually there were quite a few non-military type booths and exhibits to see. I remember seeing Boeing there, they were passing out posters, and the manufacture of the Predator drones was also there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
and the manufacturer of the Predator drones was also there.

That'd be General Atomics Aeronautical Systems. There should be some neat AF displays this year, but 2 years ago was my last EAFB show that I think I'll ever see. Last week was my last at work (whoo-hoo, semi-retirement!), and I move back east beginning of next week.

Some of the SF guys are kinda cool about letting you check out their M4's and M16/203 combos, but I am not sure how they are on sat/sun's. On Friday, especially if the Thunderbirds are going to be there (which they won't be this time) , they let us out in the afternoon and see things before the show happens the following day. You can get real up close and personal then.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and the manufacturer of the Predator drones was also there.

That'd be General Atomics Aeronautical Systems. There should be some neat AF displays this year, but 2 years ago was my last EAFB show that I think I'll ever see. Last week was my last at work (whoo-hoo, semi-retirement!), and I move back east beginning of next week.

Some of the SF guys are kinda cool about letting you check out their M4's and M16/203 combos, but I am not sure how they are on sat/sun's. On Friday, especially if the Thunderbirds are going to be there (which they won't be this time) , they let us out in the afternoon and see things before the show happens the following day. You can get real up close and personal then.

Well congrads on your semi-retirement. I bet you really earned it.
You're going to miss the Mojave Desert. I grew up in the little desert town of Barstow, just outside of the Fort Irwin NTC and the USMC Supply Depot. When I was at the EAFB openhouse 2 years ago, I felt right at home with the weather. I've got to talk to the other half about this show, I will try to make it if all possible.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone wanna car pool down there from the Sacramento area?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Ride a motorcycle, they'll let you split lanes right to the front gate.
(It helps to have a military ID and your motorcycle registered with the DOD.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top