Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 12:41:39 AM EDT
I was going to call Turner's later this week about it, but I found this at their web page:

What documents are necessary to show evidence of residency?

Utility bills from within the last 90 days, property deeds, permanent military station orders, lease or rental agreements or government issued documents are acceptable proofs of residency that meet the CA DOJ requirements.

I live in a house owned by my parents. The deed is not in my name, there is no rental/lease agreement, and the utility bills are not in my name; I am also not part of the military. About the only thing in my name is a Cell phone bill, bank statment, and credit card statement. I don't know if any of those count, though I will ask as they require my SSN and proof of residency to create. If that fails, that leaves Government Issued documents as my only choice. What are my options here? I'd hate to go and pay over $100 to get my Certificate of Eligibility, so are there any other options? I have about 3 weeks, so time is kind of crucial.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't think the certificate of eligibility cost over $100....

Do you have a vehicle registration in your name? Those work.

Live Scan fingerprint records forCA DOJ $32

Live Scan fingerprint records for FBI $24

Processing fee for application $22

Total: $78 plus postage.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Only got my work truck in the ranch's name

And I was looking at the DOJ and it said something like ~$30 fingerprint processing fee for DOJ, ~$25 for FBI fingerprint processing fee, and then the fee of the application. There was also something about $22 for new applicants, but I ignored it at that point as it is too much money to just prove I live here.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:58:06 AM EDT
[#3]
get a letter stating your current address. have the letter signed by your parents and notarized. this shows that youre a current CA resident, 0R try letters from DMV (like license renewal, etc) or perhaps a few bank statements. i have seen all three of these methods work in addition to a drivers license for purchase of a handgun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
What about a tax correction from this year? Think that would work? I got a tax correction check for like $80 from the state, would that still hold valid?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I had the same problem a few years ago. I used my driver's license, and got my father-in-law to sign a note saying I lived there. Fun fact: VOTER REGISTRATION will not be accepted as proof of residency. I tried.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got off the phone with turners about 20 minutes before getting home. Nothing I had asked would work, as I expected. Then he said something that caught my attention. Any tax papers would work, even a W-2.

So a bank account or credit card that requires my SSN, two forms of ID, personal information like birthdays etc are not good enough, but a paper printed by my employer with unchecked information I gave them is ok.

Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Weird,
                Try using your cell phone bills but have them print it for themselves. Im not sure if it will work in all cases, but my coworker bought a handgun when one went on sale and he didnt have any bills in his name so he used his cell phone bill and they looked up the account online and it worked. I would tell them that you dont have a land line and that it is your only bills that come to the house. It might not work, but then again it might.

Try it out

ZC
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
So are you going to buy the SA GI model 1911 like I said?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I would also think that your lease agreement stuff could just be a generic form that you fill out. My girlfriends grandma rents properties out and she has a book of the lease agreements. See if you can find a generic lease agreement form online and fill it out the way you think works best
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I am thinking I am going to get the SA Mil-Spec 1911, the pakerized model with the black grips. Looks like the one I have always wanted

As for the cell phone bill, won't work. There is a side note on teh DOJ's website that said new legislation makes it so cell phone bills don't count anymore.

As for the lease thing, the problem is my family is 100% anti-gun and would never agree to fill it out or sign it if it was for anything gun related, even a gun lock.

I still have my personal W-2 copy from last year's taxes (the ones we needed to fill this April to clear up any confussion) and I will just take that in. I was going to use that Tax Correction that I was talking about, but all personal information was on the check, which was cashed a month or so ago. I wonder if there is something I can get at County Records as a back up...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#11]
hold on a sec and I find the generic lease form that we use

here it is!!!

www.lectlaw.com/forms/f091.htm
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#12]
If you go to a state or community collge you can use a bill or schedule printout from the school.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you go to a state or community collge you can use a bill or schedule printout from the school.

That true?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#14]
All you need for proof of residency is your vehicle registration like LeeLaw say.  It work for me when i buy guns.  I think i'm gonig to get me a HK USP Compact this month.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I've always used my voter registration..
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
All you need for proof of residency is your vehicle registration like LeeLaw say.  It work for me when i buy guns.  I think i'm gonig to get me a HK USP Compact this month.

My truck is a work truck, so it's not in my name.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#17]
You go in with a few bills and bank statements in your name at that address and a few bills in your parents name at that address and that should do it.  Just tell them you live at home with your parents.    At your age that shouldn't be a problem.  Now if you really are 40 living at home, weeellll.

Besides, you can call around and find out if another store will accept.  Just tell the guy at Turners "Never mind, I can get it at xxx for another $5 and avoid all the hassles."  See if that changes their mind.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Besides, you can call around and find out if another store will accept.  Just tell the guy at Turners "Never mind, I can get it at xxx for another $5 and avoid all the hassles."  See if that changes their mind.

I don't many handgun retailers in the area. There is one like 5 minutes from me, but I refuse to give them service after they treated me like dirt. There was another one I went to in San Bernardino, but it was kind of 'meh' and the prices seemed bad, from what I remember. Don't know of any others

Anyone know a good shop in the San Bernardino area?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't many handgun retailers in the area. There is one like 5 minutes from me, but I refuse to give them service after they treated me like dirt. There was another one I went to in San Bernardino, but it was kind of 'meh' and the prices seemed bad, from what I remember. Don't know of any others

Anyone know a good shop in the San Bernardino area?

Only one I know of in San Bernardino is Turners.  BTW It looks like cell phones bills are specifically not allowed to be used.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I just got off the phone with turners about 20 minutes before getting home. Nothing I had asked would work, as I expected. Then he said something that caught my attention. Any tax papers would work, even a W-2.

So a bank account or credit card that requires my SSN, two forms of ID, personal information like birthdays etc are not good enough, but a paper printed by my employer with unchecked information I gave them is ok.

Makes sense to me.

So what you are saying is, it's okay for us to us our W-2 as proof of residency? Have you try that?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#21]
JURY DUTY notice.  thats all u need!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I was cleaning my truck out today and found my tax return in the glove box (threw it in there at the bank when I cashed my return). Official California government paper with my name and address on it, and it was dated something recent like 7/14. This should be PERFECT. I wonder if it is valid all year long, or if there is a cut off date like with utilities.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#23]
This is not advice as Im not sure if you are legally allowed to change your license for this purpose but if it is allowed by the DMV/Ca then this should work for you....

When I purchased my latest pistol I was in the process of moving homes. I did not have any of this documentation that they requested since it had been less than 1 week of being in the home. I did have one option though since I needed to update my Driver License info anyway....

Goto the DMV or or the AutoClub if you are a member, Then request a license update form---the same form used for change of address. (You can change your stats too if you have gained weight, lost weight, etc...) On the form there is an option for expidited delivery which I checked. Your new updated license will come in a few days on DMV letterhead addressed to you at your address. Enjoy.

I had to do this as my license did not match the bills I had so the bills wouldnt work as proof----what a goofy system we have here.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#24]
OK, can you let us know how things worked out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:48:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I should be going in Thursday. I have class right afterwards, but as soon as I get home this is the first place I will go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top