Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2005 8:27:12 AM EDT
Daydreaming at work again...

Glove compartments are not considered a locked container, but brief cases are.  Is one of these legal inside a vehicle compartment(firearm unloaded)?  If a firearm is being legally transported in a locked container, is it then legal to enter a location that prohibits firearms (like a school or national park)?
www.missouricarry.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10&Category_Code=WP
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#1]
just about anything as long as it has a lock of some kind counts as a "locked container" including gun rugs, soft sided containers, etc.

As far as entering a Federal forbidden zone, it doesn't matter whether it is locked up or not (state law). However, realistically if you have it locked iaw the state law and you are incidently in the area of a school, there isn't any reason to worry unless you do something stupid and it gets discovered.  In other words aint nobody going to know it's there unless you get in a fire fight.

As far as National Parks the prohibition I believe is against "loaded" weapons, every time I've been in  Nat'l Park I let the ranger know on entering that I have an unloaded pistol and I'm leaving out the other side and they always say just keep it unloaded.

The only time I actually lock the case down is when I'm going to be away from the vehicle.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got back from Yosemite and asked the park entry ranger.  She said first inform them of the firearm(s), and they must be in a locked container with ammo seperate, and keep it that way.  I always thought it was completely banned for some reason.  Learn something new every day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top