Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2005 5:12:26 AM EDT
Just received a letter and box from the DOJ asking that my P-22 AW (barrel tip groved for attachments) be returned to SW for a barrel retrofit.  The barrel does not extend past the slide,  there isn't sufficient clearance between the barrel and slide for attachments, and with an attachment the slide would not close.

There was some discussion over how someone can ship an AW except through an AW-FFL.  This letter  seems to indicate the DOJ allows commoners to ship at least out bounds.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just received a letter and box from the DOJ asking that my P-22 AW (barrel tip groved for attachments) be returned to SW for a barrel retrofit.  The barrel does not extend past the slide,  there isn't sufficient clearance between the barrel and slide for attachments, and with an attachment the slide would not close.

There was some discussion over how someone can ship an AW except through an AW-FFL.  This letter  seems to indicate the DOJ allows commoners to ship at least out bounds.  

A couple of friends received their return packets yesterday. I'm waiting for mine.

Thing is, both guys had contact with the factory regarding FTF issues. One sent his into S&W before the P22 was declared an AW and removed from the approved handgun list. The other contacted them to exchange his original "faulty" mags for the improved design.

I ordered my set of improved mags from Kiesler's. We'll see if S&W is going through their customer service data base or the the CA DOJ's list of registered P22 owners.

As far as sending it out, I'd guess since the deadly AW is going out of state for neutering, the CA DOJ has made an exception in this case.

BTW Last year at the annual Reed's sale, I spoke to a factory sales rep about the technique they're going to use to convert the P22 to a non-Assault Weapon. His reply was an inelegant:"They're going to use what amounts to an industrial super glue". Yup, they're going to use an adhesive (I suspect JB Weld) to hold the barrel nut on the barrel. Than means no more changing out 4" and 5"m barrel.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just received a letter and box from the DOJ asking that my P-22 AW (barrel tip groved for attachments)

Actually the barrel is threaded:
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn. I just found a big envelope containing my recall package on the doorstep.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Hypothetically of course, but I don't think the glue they put on could possibly withstand some vice grips, blowtorch, and paint thinner.  Also, the new barrel nut you get, doesn't have grooves on them for the wrench that comes with the gun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The barrel does not extend past the slide,  there isn't sufficient clearance between the barrel and slide for attachments, and with an attachment the slide would not close.

They sell an attachment that takes the place of the barrel nut, and extends past the slide with exposed threads
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Also, the new barrel nut you get, doesn't have grooves on them for the wrench that comes with the gun.

The letter tells you to include the wrench in the package

Link Posted: 4/16/2005 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A couple of friends received their return packets yesterday. I'm waiting for mine.

Thing is, both guys had contact with the factory regarding FTF issues. One sent his into S&W before the P22 was declared an AW and removed from the approved handgun list. The other contacted them to exchange his original "faulty" mags for the improved design.

I ordered my set of improved mags from Kiesler's. We'll see if S&W is going through their customer service data base or the the CA DOJ's list of registered P22 owners.

As far as sending it out, I'd guess since the deadly AW is going out of state for neutering, the CA DOJ has made an exception in this case.

BTW Last year at the annual Reed's sale, I spoke to a factory sales rep about the technique they're going to use to convert the P22 to a non-Assault Weapon. His reply was an inelegant:"They're going to use what amounts to an industrial super glue". Yup, they're going to use an adhesive (I suspect JB Weld) to hold the barrel nut on the barrel. Than means no more changing out 4" and 5"m barrel.

I've yet to have a problem with the mags, and didn't realize there were some bad mags out there.

Although it wasn't purchased yet, the 5" barrel swap was a consideration down the road.  Does the 5" barrel have a similar threaded configuration and is also being recalled?
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Just got the FedEx box today.  Never had a bad magazine, so they ARE going through the list (who said registration doesn't work?)

One thing I did found out, though, is that even with magazine removed, the hammer will still go down after 3 trigger pulls.  Maybe we should call this the Mustafa Feature (think Austin Power)
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm curious, why ship the gun at all ?   Why can't you have Walther a.k.a. S&W ship you a replacement  barrel with no threads ?  Simple possession of a barrel with threads (NOT INSTALLED ON YOUR HANDGUN), is not a crime in California.  This way you are compliant, but still retain the original barrel if you want to later take it out of state or sell it out of state.  

Comments ?

Link Posted: 4/20/2005 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm curious, why ship the gun at all ?   Why can't you have Walther a.k.a. S&W ship you a replacement  barrel with no threads ?  Simple possession of a barrel with threads (NOT INSTALLED ON YOUR HANDGUN), is not a crime in California.  This way you are compliant, but still retain the original barrel if you want to later take it out of state or sell it out of state.  

Comments ?

Because they want to make sure the barrel is actually replaced, so they are doing it for you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my fucking letter today.... god this is bullshit. this is one step closer to coming and actually taking our guns. This pisses me off. Anyway, has anyone actually sent their gun and received it back yet?
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Crap!

I got my letter/package a couple of days ago. I was hoping to get under the radar. This really pisses me off!

Anyone sent theirs in yet?

Anyone get theirs back?

What's the turnaround time?

Still function properly?

I guess I'd better send the danged thing in, like a good little subject.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I went home one day and saw this giant envelop and thought "gee, my assault weapons of the world poster must have arrived."
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn this blows.. I was thinking of getting one but they pulled it from the list a week before I was going to buy it.

Oh a slight tangent, is the Walther G22 available in CA?
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#15]
G22 the rifle?  It is.  I just hope it jam less and safety works better than the pistol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
G22 the rifle?  It is.  I just hope it jam less and safety works better than the pistol.

I think it looks like an interesting platform for a .22 rifle, plus a pistol grip anything in CA is nice.

Link Posted: 5/4/2005 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've seen them in San Jose no-fun show and Sportman's.
It would have been a much more interesting rifle if it is in .17 HMR or .22 Magnum. Hack, I'll take that over the P90 with SS196.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone send theirs back yet?

I'm not sending the wrench as requested, they should have plenty at the factory and I want mine.

Any aftermarket replacement barrels?
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I sent mine yesterday. I didnt send the wrench either, so hopefully they will hanlde this without it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure I saw one at Turners. Bullpup design, right?
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seen a couple at some of my local shops recently.  Haven't heard many good reviews on them though, fun as they do look.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry for lurking and posting in your forums.

You can take any 10mm open end wrench.  Grind it down and it will fit on the barrel nut.  

So are your "Walther Wrenches", and Barrel nuts now banned?

Also what if you were to send the pistol back with out the barrel?

I sure in hell hope we don't get as bad as you guys.  Good hell.

Then again at least you all can have fireworks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Not too bad, sent it out April 29, got it back last friday. With a letter.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I never got a letter and have owned the gun since last year. Am I supposed to just wait or do I need to contact S&W or the CA DOJ about this?

This really sucks!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Not too bad, sent it out April 29, got it back last friday. With a letter.

Well, what did they do to it?  Did you get the wrench back?  
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Speaking of the devil, it's now on sale at Turners
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Well, what did they do to it?  Did you get the wrench back?  

They replaced the barrel cap and glue it on. No wrench.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Sent mine in last Thursday, May 6. It just got delivered by FedEx (The following Wednesday, May 11).

Last year I was told by a S&W sales rep that  they would essentially use "an industrial super glue" to permanently affix a new barrel nut. My first thought was that it was probably more like an epoxy like JB Weld. Couldn't see a cyanoacrylic adhesive being adequate.

Instead of sending it in right after receiving my letter, I opted to wait a bit so that whoever does the actual work had some time to ramp up on the learning curve: using enough adhesive to do the deed, but not so much that it gets squeezed out of the seams.

Close inspection shows no evidence of glue being use. Can't tell what's on the threads under the barrel nut. No evidence of glue on the exterior.

I feel so much safer knowing that the diabolic barrel nut and wrench are no longer conspiring to assault the people and children of California.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Sent mine in today.

pathetic........
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:30:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I shipped mine off to S&W in MA, I got it back in 6 days. Not bad considering how far it had to go. Here is what I know.

Just received a letter and box from the DOJ asking that my P-22 AW (barrel tip groved for attachments) be returned to SW for a barrel retrofit. The barrel does not extend past the slide, there isn't sufficient clearance between the barrel and slide for attachments, and with an attachment the slide would not close.
Man I'm not gonna let you live that one down. Those grooves are not where you would install an "attachment." The "barrel tip" is actually a nut, you use the stamped-sheet-metal wrench they (normally) provide in the case on those grooves to unscrew this nut, then you can either remove the barrel sleeve and barrel, or you can install a thread adapter to accommodate a silencer. Except not in CA cause in this state you just can't get a silencer. At all. Period. So it's just for removing the barrel. If you thought you needed to, which would be unusual.

The CA DOJ is just going down the list of their handgun registry and mailing off boxes & letters to everybody. On the outside of the big envelope that the box is in is a "delivery confirmation" barcode that the mailmale scans when he delivers it. So you can't pretend you never got it, unless you really didn't. Some of the people on that registry list will have moved out of state since they bought their P22, and the CA DOJ would have no knowledge of this. They'll try to send a box to those guys too, but either a) it won't get delivered (and barcode not scanned) or b) it'll get delivered (and barcode scanned) to the new guy who lives there. DOJ has made noises about how if you don't send your gun in, they're going to issue a warrant for your arrest. THING IS that's at least partially BS because what if some guy moves to Nevada, what are they gonna do, issue a warrant for him cause he didn't send it in cause he didn't get the box & letter? He doesn't need to send it in, after all he lives in Nevada. Then next time that guy gets pulled over for a taillight out, he's gonna spend an evening in the county jail while the department gets it sorted out. And then in that case the CA DOJ is gonna get a LOT of flak. So really they're not going to be issuing a bunch of warrants. IF you don't get your barrel nut changed like how they want, you could end up later on in a sticky situation cause you've got an unregistered assault weapon. Although most cops aren't going to recognise it as such, and most aren't going to know about the recall, and most aren't going to care if the manufacturer made it with a nut on the end.

they're going to use an adhesive (I suspect JB Weld) to hold the barrel nut on the barrel
They take the old (grooved) nut off, grab a new non-grooved nut, smear some goop on the threads, and run it in with some interesting-looking wrench with no flats. I highly doubt JB Weld, that'd be like stamping the mags out of soup cans. I called S&W, the tech I talked to specifically said they were using "Loc-tite." I assume the red stuff, it's stronger than the blue and you have to apply some heat to it to loosen it.

Hypothetically of course, but I don't think the glue they put on could possibly withstand some vice grips, blowtorch, and paint thinner. Also, the new barrel nut you get, doesn't have grooves on them for the wrench that comes with the gun.
Hearsay: Some guy in Texas actually bought a CA-version P22. CA's law does not apply to him, and he wanted it off, so he heated up the end of the barrel with a torch, and once it was toasty he used a strap-wrench and loosened and removed the barrel nut. Note: Don't get too much heat near the plastic frame.

The letter tells you to include the wrench in the package
Yep. I kept mine "on accident." I don't think sending somebody to knock on my door when I may or may not be home to collect a stamped piece of sheetmetal that now doesn't have a function is going to happen. Also, when I bought mine brand new it didn't have a barrel plug with it for some reason, as the letter says I'm to include. O well. It came back with a new orange barrel plug.

I opted to wait a bit so that whoever does the actual work had some time to ramp up on the learning curve: using enough adhesive to do the deed, but not so much that it gets squeezed out of the seams.
How many weeks did you figure it'd take for em to get the kinks worked out on working that tube of goop? Actually, they had all the dealers send theirs back for nut replacement and glueing a few months ago. I'm sure it's fine. I actually waited a couple weeks too, but that was to take it to the range one last time.

I'm not terribly concerned about this whole thing. After all, CA will never EVER let me have a silencer anyway. And I bet if I put my mind to it, I could get it off if I decided I needed to. It's not welded on there after all. And I knew going in that all handguns in this state these days are registered. Hey, on the bright side, now I don't have to worry about my nut loosening halfway through shooting.

In my opinion, this recall is unconstitutional (US Constitution Article 1 Section 10 see "ex-post-facto"), but we know that never stopped any politician in this state.

For those of you who have 2 or more barrels, I don't think it's going to be a problem. They didn't outlaw multiple barrels. DOJ just says you have to send it in for the no-flats-nut. Ok fine. If you want to swap barrels, get that nut off and do it. It'd probably be a good idea, though, when you put the nut back on to use some blue loctite, you don't want it coming loose during shooting (feeding problems), but you don't want it impossible to remove again later.

I'm curious, why ship the gun at all ? Why can't you have Walther a.k.a. S&W ship you a replacement barrel with no threads ? Simple possession of a barrel with threads (NOT INSTALLED ON YOUR HANDGUN), is not a crime in California. This way you are compliant, but still retain the original barrel if you want to later take it out of state or sell it out of state.
Because your government doesn't trust you. And now we come to the crux of the issue.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#32]
What configuration are the pistols being sold today in?   How do they know, or what would they do if you sent back a letter or photo that it was bought in the permanent configuration already?

And about the new G22 rifles- In other states do they come with threaded barrels?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
What configuration are the pistols being sold today in?   How do they know, or what would they do if you sent back a letter or photo that it was bought in the permanent configuration already?

The way they know is when the recall & retrofit has been performed, S&W stamps "CA" on the side so that it says the model is "P 22 CA." And S&W is letting S&W know which sernos have been done. All the new ones in CA being sold also say "P 22 CA." If yours already had the glued round nut from when you bought it, they know and aren't sending you a box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top