Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 5:55:02 PM EDT
Drove up today to see how far the snow was on the road to the quarry. Still quite a bit right now. Should be clear by May no problem.

But if you want to drive into the hills to go plinking there's a couple spots only about 45 minutes from Sac that are clear. Both are on Bonetti road. I stopped at one to try out some low recoil shotgun loads.

Going east on Hwy 50 take the Sly Park exit.
Go 4 miles and turn left just past Jenkinson/Sly Park lake onto Morman Immigrant Road.
Go about 3 miles and turn right onto Bonetti Road. (It's just past the NFS info bill board on the right and there is a sign for it)

The first spot is about 1/2 mile down the road on the left. It's a just a small clearing with a dirt drive UP to it.

The second spot is about another 1/2 - 3/4 mile further. Again on the left. It's a bit bigger.

Niether clearing is real big. Good for handguns, shotguns, or short distance rifle plinking/blasting. Generally you'll see a few targets left from previous shooters. At the second clearing you'll see a couple really BIG trees that fell over from people shooting them. Word I got was one of the trees fell on the guy shooting it! DON'T SHOOT THE TREES!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for the information.  What distances are available at this location?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
wow, thanks, this is exactly the kind of info I need!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know how far these spots are but I know of a few good clear cut areas just outside Camino. It is nice to get out in the forest and use your guns as they were intended to be used. Not like out a lot of ranges they yell at you for firing more than one round every two secounds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thank you for the information.  What distances are available at this location?

Like I said, short range. Maybe 25-50 yards at the second place.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't know how far these spots are but I know of a few good clear cut areas just outside Camino. It is nice to get out in the forest and use your guns as they were intended to be used. Not like out a lot of ranges they yell at you for firing more than one round every two secounds.

Are you in the Camino area? I live just up the road a few miles from there. I know there are some places near Camino, but a lot of the local high school kids go there to plink. Makes me a bit nervous at times. M-I road is far enough up they normally don't take the time to go up there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you guys think Willows on I-5 is to far of a drive to shoot?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The highscool kids don't venture out too far in Camino.I head out to the end of the logging roads. Listen for the dirt bikes though! It could be me!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you guys think Willows on I-5 is to far of a drive to shoot?

from sac....yes it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top