Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2005 6:43:33 AM EDT
Anyone know what the big firms like Orkin & Terminex charge in so Cal to tent a house & fumigate for dry wood termites?
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Remus charged me $2,500. 3000 sq ft house. they did some minor damage to my house, inside and out, and fought me over the cost to make repairs. would not recommend. apparently most pest controle companies sub-contract out the work to companies that only tent and fumigate. might be able to save a buck by cuttiny out the middleman.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Remus charged me $2,500. 3000 sq ft house. they did some minor damage to my house, inside and out, and fought me over the cost to make repairs.  

Damn!

A buddy of mine got his done for $800.00

Sounds like prices vary quite a bit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you have section one item the buyer insist on fixing, try biological warfare :

kbn.ifas.ufl.edu/termite_nem.htm

I used to live in a town house with an old bitch next door refused to fumigate because she thinks the residue gas will kill her. Nothing works until I tried nematode. The HOA order a box and ferment it and spray on and inject into any place with drywood termite droppings. It never have a problem anymore. Cost less than $100. It is really effective because all you need is one of the termite get infected and bring it back to the colony. Sorta like black plague for termite.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Several tented houses where I work end up burglarized.   Sometimes, even before the work is done (i.e. owner forgot something, and returned to the job site early).   Lots of spanish speaking parolee types doing the fumigation.    Stick around during the work until they leave.   Make up a story that you will be camping out there overnight.  

Good luck, I know you know what to look for.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
you have to pack up all your food in special bags, then they want to walk through the house and check out EVERYTHING AND EVERY ROOM, even drawers.
if you have a big safe they might even want to look inside (dead body check), or they will refuse to do the job, and prolly still charge you.

so good idea would be to take guns/valuables to a friends house.

+1 with staying with them every second they are in or around your house, make sure they place chains and locks on the doors, dont leave the premises until they do. there should only 1 guy in the house, the guy that does the gassing and house check, no other worker needs to come inside.

also turn off your gas lines, there was a house a couple years ago that had a gas leak on the outside of the house, unknown to owners, the tent trapped the gas until the place BLEW UP!!! the house was matchsticks and it blew a couple other houses off their foundations, not to mention all the other damage in the area for a couple hunderd yards.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The reason why it cost so much to tent a house is because there was an explosion at one of them. The fumigation company had a mix up and the natural gas didn't get turned off, and the pilot light at the hot water heater, and BOOM! Now the gas company must come out and turn-off /on the natural gas, and the fumigation company's liability insurance has gone up 3X since.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi guys
Just thought I'd share a story about termite companies.
They do sub out there work .
About 20 years back when i was still living at home my parents had there house termited.
The crew that put the tent on it stole my gun collection and started a fire on my bed to cover up the theft.
Lost a butt load of guns.
All my recipts burnt up that had the serial #'s on them I got a call from the cops about a week later.The only one I got back was my Colt SP1. Lost about 10 others including a nice open bolt M10 9mm.
It seems a couple of guys were shooting it out across the street from each other.
When the cops showed up they recovered my AR.
I'm sure the cops ended up with the rest but because I couldn't prove they were mine I didn't get any of  them back.
So what ever else you do take anything you don't want to loose out of the house
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I just had a termite treatment done on one of my rentals.   It was the biological warfare, inject an infective substance in the ground around the foundation and kill em slow at the nest thing...  think its called "termador"

seemed to make more sense as it was cheaper (about $1000), the tenant didn't have to vacate, one termite carries the infection all the way back to the colony, infects all his friends, and the queen and they all die... and after those bastards were dead the poison would still be there if some others decided to move into the neighborhood...

Doesn't seem like fumagating will do that sort of work...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top