Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2005 3:11:51 PM EDT
anybody know good spots reasonably close to san bernardino? i used to shoot 1no9 (manzanita flats) pretty regularly but its all closed up now due to road conditions. im looking for a place i can set up and shoot rifles, pistols, and shotguns without have to move to different ranges. any info is very much appreciated. if you know a good spot, directions would be awesome too hanks!-scott
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
blm land.. im in north OC and it is about 1.5 hrs to get out there..  I shoot along the 15 about 15 miles before barstow(it is a rifle/shotgun area).

get off at hodge rd and make a left.. have fun.

barstow BLM shooting info page

pic of the area from yesterday :-D
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks alot guys, appreciate the info
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I go shooting at the Hodge Road location a bunch of times... be careful though, I have been questioned by CHP while shooting. The issue at hand was if I was shooting within a mile of the freeway. Other than that, its a decent place to shoot. If there are a few other shooters out there, keep driving back into the hills far away from them. Once there was a guy with a full auto machine gun sitting in the back of his truck. I'd rather just not be around when someone comes to check him out.

-d
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm  not aware of any law prohibiting shooting within a mile of a freeway.  Can you or anyone else elaborate on this?

Quoted:
I go shooting at the Hodge Road location a bunch of times... be careful though, I have been questioned by CHP while shooting. The issue at hand was if I was shooting within a mile of the freeway.
-d

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah it is 150 or 200yds from roads iirc.  i go way past that first right birm  there is a better place down further I think off to the left.  if you found a jeep body/frame your there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I think all you have to be is 500 ft off any road and in a spot where it's open for shooting.

You could always go to Lytle Creek, it's alot closer then going to Hodge Rd.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think all you have to be is 500 ft off any road and in a spot where it's open for shooting.

according to the blm page its 150yds from ANY made made object
www.ca.blm.gov/barstow/recshoot.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

according to the blm page its 150yds from ANY made made object
www.ca.blm.gov/barstow/recshoot.html

A Jeep frame/body is a man made object. No?

Just pulling your chain.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I added 50 ft to be safe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
i believe Federa Law states you gotta be over 1 mile from a highway/fwy to do any shooting. there are couple signs off hodge rd.. on the other side of the 15fwy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i believe Federa Law states you gotta be over 1 mile from a highway/fwy to do any shooting. there are couple signs off hodge rd.. on the other side of the 15fwy.

That is what I thought too. I know that some of the signs state that need to be a certain distance away from the road, and there are some that say you can't shoot near that cell phone tower. Technically we are trespassing if we shoot near that cell tower. Some company bought the land from the BLM and put that tower up.

-d
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top