Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 8:42:55 AM EDT
Ok now , I've got my fab-10 (and yes before the 1st 50 here I come) and i was wondering how everyone loads the mag. Now I've seen the device that shoeless sells, who uses that. I was also looking at a regular stripper clip guide, possibly to modify for the task.   Whats your experience???
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#1]
im gonna modify a gi loader but the one that SV gave me is ok. i can load 8 fast but the last two are a b*ch so i press them in one at a time. its not so bad. i had to shave of the inside edges (where the case is pressed between and funneled) b/c it was too tight and pressing in the carts was a PITA.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked my receiver up today .I think I have to take the mag out to make the 50 cal upper work .
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to load mine one at a time. I have one of the new lowers that has the bolt catch on it so the stripper clip will not work. I am thinking if I can try and create one that will work so I don't have to load one at a time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#5]
patty, do you know if michael can do the bolt catch mods to pre fab10's if it was sent to sLv
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
What's the point of a bolt catch on the FAB-10?

It would just seem like an extra step in the reloading process to me (unless you are reloading a single shot, firing, repeating) because the bolt must be in battery before you can break open the action to reload the magazine.

I'd rather have the hole for the stripper clip guide than a bolt catch on a removeable-magazine-less rifle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:19:21 AM EDT
[#9]
The bolt catch feature was added at the request of range masters. What is nice about the bolt catch is when you have a jam you can open the bolt and lock it open while you work on the jam without trying to hold the bolt open.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine is bolt catchless. has the lil hole to use the SV stripper loader, I was just curious how everyone out there loaded up. Thoughts of loading one at a time all day just are not very pleasant, hinking.gif I have a GI stripper guide I think I'm going to try and modifly for the job, we will see what happens....
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the point of a bolt catch on the FAB-10?

It would just seem like an extra step in the reloading process to me (unless you are reloading a single shot, firing, repeating) because the bolt must be in battery before you can break open the action to reload the magazine.

I'd rather have the hole for the stripper clip guide than a bolt catch on a removeable-magazine-less rifle.

LeeLaw - I haven't worked with the bolt catch feature at all yet but from all accounts it's easier and quicker to load.

Patty

think about it logically - if you are using the gun as a single-shot, shoot one round, load one in, release the bolt, fire then it's great.

If you want to load the entire magazine it makes no sense whatsoever, as the ejection port is a pain in the butt to load the magazine with (not to mention a lot slower than with a stripper clip and guide) and it makes an extra step in loading the magazine by breaking apart the gun. Grab one of your ARs and insert an empty magazine and try to load it through the ejection port, or lock the bolt back and try to pivot the upper.

In a normal AR it makes perfect sense. Im the FAB-10.. not so much.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The bolt catch feature was added at the request of range masters. What is nice about the bolt catch is when you have a jam you can open the bolt and lock it open while you work on the jam without trying to hold the bolt open.

It serves a good function tere, but that's about all I can see. I personally don't think giving up the stripper clip guide for a bolt catch makes much sense, unless your rifle happens to jam every other round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top