Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 6:24:21 PM EDT
What exactly is the CA definition of which handguns are prohibited or not? Because there are some I see no reason why they are banned while there are others I am surprised are not banned (judging by what is already illegal).
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
i believe this thread answers some of that question

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=186653
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool thanks for the link. CA law still doesn't make logical sense though .....
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there a description of what "tested safe" is? I thought the physical size of the pistol was a consideration.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
There are kinda 2 answers to your question.  

The first is that certain handguns are prohibited because they are classified as assault weapons.   SB23
(No mag fed semiauto pistol can have a threaded barrel, second handgrip, barel shroud, or mag outside of the pistol grip.)

The other thing they did was restrict gun sales to "approved" guns.  The approved gun list is here:  Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale  
If it's not on this list you can only buy it through PPT (both of you have to show up at the FFL).
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks a lot for the links. I had no idea handgun manufacturers had to "renew" their products? Sooo basically all handguns are banned unless the mfg. basically applies for clearance? Huray for CA.....
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]
That is the problem with the "safety list".

The pistol maker must send in one of each of its pistols, and they are NOT returned. Some of the rules to determine a variant are flat out stupid. They are strict to the point where color can actually classify it as a different weapon. So let's say Glock had 10 different models, each model came in 5 different calibers, and each caliber had 3 different colors/finishes. You are looking at 150 pistols that they must give up for free, only so California can say "ok, you can sell here." Now add in if they have single action triggers, double action, left handed safety, etc etc and you can easy look at 1,000 pistols. That's why the list is so short. No company wants to start $250,000 in debt in a market and try to work out of it.

If you ask me that sounds illegal. Like saying if you want to have a donut shop, you have to let cops eat for free. You know they don't destroy those guns, they probably make a receipt up for the gun, give it to a cop, and pocket the tax money they get to pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#8]
from what I've heard they do destroy their guns.  Off to the metal shredder...
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Of course, because the government always does everything it says it does
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top