Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2004 11:34:51 AM EDT
Hey guys I live in AZ right now and own an HK USP 40 and am about to assemble an AR-15.  I've read a few posts on registering your gun if you live in Cali, but how do you do it? Can I register my AR in cali if I purchased everything here in AZ? Also what about my HK? That is legal to own in Cali right? All these laws almost make me not want to move there.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you drain bamaged?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are you drain bamaged?

well sometimes I think I am for thinking about moving to LA. but the job market is better there than in Tucson.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Kalifornia AR registration expired a long long time ago. Go search their state guidlines and learn about how to donate it to them or leave it behind.

And that my friend is da FACTS. So move some place else. What kind of work are you looking for?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Kalifornia AR registration expired a long long time ago. Go search their state guidlines and learn about how to donate it to them or leave it behind.

And that my friend is da FACTS. So move some place else. What kind of work are you looking for?

thanks. what about my hand gun? still no go on that either?

Consulting - Technology
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Leave your AR in Tucson (I used to live on 1st and Grant.  That was fun, especially at night).  You can make conjugal visits often, since it's only a 7 or 8 hour drive and 1.5 hour flight from LAX.  The USP 40 should be ok, but double check the approved handgun list.  CA restricts many otherwise legal handguns because they require a bunch of bullshit safety "features" that aren't designed into many guns.  Where in LA are you looking to live?  Like every major metropolitan center, there are good areas and really really bad areas.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Before you leave, purchase a few AR receivers, but leave them in AZ.  At least you can have fun when the Caliban grants you visiting rights to the free states.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Leave your AR in Tucson (I used to live on 1st and Grant.  That was fun, especially at night).  You can make conjugal visits often, since it's only a 7 or 8 hour drive and 1.5 hour flight from LAX.  The USP 40 should be ok, but double check the approved handgun list.  CA restricts many otherwise legal handguns because they require a bunch of bullshit safety "features" that aren't designed into many guns.  Where in LA are you looking to live?  Like every major metropolitan center, there are good areas and really really bad areas.  hr

Not sure where to live yet. I guess it depends on what they actual pay is going to be. I would like to be near the beach, maybe Hermosa beach area or Manhattan Beach area. Of course depending on if I can find a decently affordable apartment. Sounds like leaving teh AR behind is the way to go unfortunately
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Where else is a good place to live?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Im from LA suburbs around Pasadena in the San Gabriel Valley. Most of the area is nice and not too far from downtown LA and other metro cities.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Another good place to live:  Wyoming

seriously
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Where else is a good place to live?

If you are filthy rich, anywhere along the beach is pretty nice. But, if you're like a regular peson, you may chose to live a bit inland. Everything in Los Angeles is about "an hour away" so pick a spot. I'd say you'll get better prices in the San Fernando Valley area, but you will pay for a lot of air conditioning during the summer. There are several areas on the west side which are pretty decent and probably reasonable; I'd include Culver City in this area (and Culver City happens to be where the Martin B. Retting gun store is located).
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I work in Culver City.  It's pretty nice...south of Venice Blvd.  I live in Costa Mesa.  It took me 2 hours and 25 minutes to get to work this morning.  But hey, that's better than last week when it rained and it took me 2 hours and 35 minutes...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#13]
You have to register your USP with the DOJ too. There is a time limit after you arrive that has to be done. Also, leave your greater than 10 round magazines in AZ too.

You will want to live close to your job. A long commute can be a killer to finances, your car, spare time and morale.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#14]
When you move you can't bring the AW's but you can bring the pistols.   You already own them, you aren't importing for sale, etc.  You do have to register them.  The magazines you need to check the DoJ web site.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#15]
What?!  If you move to California you have to register PISTOLS???  This is first I've heard of it.

Cheers

ETA: There are loads of other states that are less restrictive on any number of issues and have good job markets.  I would reconsider.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Shit I just got three stinkin hi-cap mags for my HK. Now I have to get rid of those too!! Arrrhh. No AR, not hi-cap mags and I have to register my HK. Hmm... gonna have to really consider this.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Shit I just got three stinkin hi-cap mags for my HK. Now I have to get rid of those too!! Arrrhh. No AR, not hi-cap mags and I have to register my HK. Hmm... gonna have to really consider this.

Or you could have a convenient boating accident like I'm sure so many others in this state have had...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#19]
if you move to LA, and one morning if you wake up to the sound of hi caps scratching at the door like a lost puppy looking for a warm place to stay, i wouldnt hold it against you if you openned the door.

i heard you can get self-registration forms for the pistol at the DMV.

sell the AR and mags then come here and buy a M1a
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
if you move to LA, and one morning if you wake up to the sound of hi caps scratching at the door like a lost puppy looking for a warm place to stay, i wouldnt hold it against you if you openned the door. heard

sell the AR and mags then come here and buy a M1a

sweet

yeah may have to keep the hi cap mags in the safe
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Speaking of Hi Cap mags for handguns here is something that I found in http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

Pistols
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to
fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#22]
The heading to your quote above is:

Generic Characteristics Defining Assault Weapons:
12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following:

So you cannot have a semi-auto pistol with those above characteristics.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I work in Culver City.  It's pretty nice...south of Venice Blvd.  I live in Costa Mesa.  It took me 2 hours and 25 minutes to get to work this morning.  But hey, that's better than last week when it rained and it took me 2 hours and 35 minutes...

LOL
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

Are you laughing AT me, or WITH me?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#25]
You can change your lower on your AR 15 to a California approved lower such as a FAB 10.  Not as fun as a real AR lower but still fun!

http://www.fabten.com

Patty
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#26]
You can bring the Hk.  You cannot bring the AR.  You cannot bring any high cap magazines (>10 rds).

Which city are you thinking of moving to?  The "LA area" is a big place, bigger than some states.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Not sure what area yet. A company is flying me out there tomorrow 10/28 for an interview. Their building is located downtown. So I am thinking Manahattan Beach area. not sure yet though
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Manhattan Beach is a nice area to live if you can afford it.  A 50 year old (post-war) house east of Sepulveda is $600k, minimum.  Houses west of Sepulveda are $1M+ with the sky as the upper price limit.  Remember, though, "there is no life east of Sepulveda".

Good restaurants, safe, lots of night life, good schools, the best beaches in the south bay, can be very snobbish (see above), ...

MB to downtown is a LOOOONG commute each way, not in miles but in time and frustration and wear and tear on your car and psyche.  Lots of people do it but,.....  

Welcome to California.  It's a great state.  Really, it is.  We need more people to come and vote and help return our government to the good people of this great state.

Leave your AR and high cap mags out of state.  It would be illegal to bring them here.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Manhattan Beach is a nice area to live if you can afford it.  A 50 year old (post-war) house east of Sepulveda is $600k, minimum.  Houses west of Sepulveda are $1M+ with the sky as the upper price limit.  Remember, though, "there is no life east of Sepulveda".

Good restaurants, safe, lots of night life, good schools, the best beaches in the south bay, can be very snobbish (see above), ...

MB to downtown is a LOOOONG commute each way, not in miles but in time and frustration and wear and tear on your car and psyche.  Lots of people do it but,.....  

Welcome to California.  It's a great state.  Really, it is.  We need more people to come and vote and help return our government to the good people of this great state.

Leave your AR and high cap mags out of state.  It would be illegal to bring them here.  

How long of a commute? I put it up on Yahoo Maps and it said something like 28 minutes, but of course they never take into consideration traffic conditions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Bingo We haave a Winnah   Traffic conditions.  Yahoo just looks at distance and divides.  You're talking about heading along with all the masses toward the black hole in the morning and away in the afternoon.    The only saving grace would be to be fortunate enough to be able to take the Green Line and Blue Lines.    You might be traveling with the riffest of the riff-raff in certain areas but it would be cheap and quick compared to freeways and paarking.

If the work location is near the Red Line, then you have the additional option of  MetroLink rail service to down town and the Gold  or Red Lines to really expand your home location options.

Anything within reasonable driving time distance of  dowwntown is going to be a disaster or ridiculously expensive.  My family has been in the area since the 1880s.  Unfortunately both sides sold off the property in the downtown area about 1910.  RATS.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#31]
You will not want to drive into downtown LA unless your employer pays for your parking. There are people who pay $400-500 a month in parking fees.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#32]
yeah at least 30 min into downtown LA on a good day, figure up to an hour during rush hour, maybe more if theres a major accident on the freeway or in a rain storm.

one of the things currently going on in downtown LA is called "revitalization", they are trying to get more people to move into the dntn area, by adding nice condos, stores, nightlife etc.

you could also move into a nice area near dntn and maybe not have to use the freeway, or use it veryu little.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

How long of a commute? I put it up on Yahoo Maps and it said something like 28 minutes, but of course they never take into consideration traffic conditions.

I'd say to count on at least an hour each way.  It really depends upon your work hours and where, exactly, you are working.  It could easily be two hours if there's an accident on the freeways.  If it rains, well, ...

Good grief ! , I wouldn't get on those trains and ride through south-central LA for any amount of money.  

Carpools are a better option.  Employers out here are required to provide carpooling options to their employees.  If you do it with a friend, it works out well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#34]
So I just got back and the building is the Mellon Bank right next to teh YMCA, B of A and a few others. Hmm I guess I will have to just go out there for a little longer and check out places. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I just moved to San Bernardino area and had to leave my AR, AK, and my freakin' P22 back in CO!!!! How dumb is that? According to CA DOJ my P22 is an AW!!!!! (Threads on the barrel) I think that sums up what kalifornia is all about.

Another side note is that the DOJ cleared the P22 as a "safe" pistol and then realized they had missed the fact that it had a threaded barrel... how dumb are these people!!!?? As soon as I am done with school I'm moving back to CO!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#36]
grooVe, why don't you stay out here?  Get a good job, find a nice home at the beach and help us fight the fight to take back control of our legislature.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So I just got back and the building is the Mellon Bank right next to teh YMCA, B of A and a few others. Hmm I guess I will have to just go out there for a little longer and check out places. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Hmmmm...That's at 4th street by the high rises where parking is EXPENSIVE and about a 40 minute walk to the train station. I hope the pay is outstanding ($100K+), because the commute and living expenses are going to be huge.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmm...That's at 4th street by the high rises where parking is EXPENSIVE and about a 40 minute walk to the train station. I hope the pay is outstanding ($100K+), because the commute and living expenses are going to be huge.

This will sound crazy to some people who haven't been keeping up too much with downtown development, but you may want to check out downtown apartments or condos.  There has been a shitload of upscale dvelopment and it seems to be just gaining speed.  I think you can check www.downtownnews.com for more info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top