Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 2:40:59 PM EDT
Ok so today I went window shopping hoping to find a .308 semi auto or bolt action. Apart that the prices were ridiculous, some explanations were "shady".
In Turner's they had the AR30 for sale and they wanted 1900. for it. I went to another shop looking for a different price. Ended up in Discount gun mart and asked for the AR30 again. They tell me that this model is not legal in CA... you know all that AW bull shitt.
So my question is who's right and who's wrong? Also, is the M1 my only option for a semi-auto in .308? That's why I am trying to get rid of my ACOG so I can get a 6.5 G upper. That way I can save a bit and be very close to .308 ballistics.

This state is terrible. I don't know why the Navy picked CA as the main port. It should have been OR, lol. I can't wait to get out. Ok time to get a drink.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
nosmik,
Your best choices for the .308 in Kali is defenitly th M1A series of rifle.
The standard, scout, or socom.
I prefer the scout.
Even though you can have the FAL with fixed mag, the M1A beats it out because of the evil detachable mag charactaristic.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I started laughing when I saw the FAL. I can't believe how messed up it is. I'll just keep waiting on the 6.5G. Even a bolt action would end up being more expensive.

Time to drink again, drink to forget, lol!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

In Turner's they had the AR30 for sale and they wanted 1900. for it. I went to another shop looking for a different price. Ended up in Discount gun mart and asked for the AR30 again. They tell me that this model is not legal in CA... you know all that AW bull shitt.

The AR30 is a bolt action rifle in either 300WinMag or 338Lapua, Armalite makes them and generally they are pretty accurate.

1900 dollars is way over priced, typically they are down around 1200-1400 depending on the chambering.

2nd shop didn't have a f'ing clue of what they were talking about, they heard the leters "A R" and they thought assault weapon.    Idiots need to buy a clue.

Best 30 cal semiautos you will find legal in Ca. will be a Garand or a Ca. legal configuration M1A.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Nosmik- I think I've seen a couple at Gun World in Burbank (on Magnolia).  Been a while since I've been there, forgotten the price.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
That's ok. I have decided to go with the 6.5G route. But I still get pissed off when I see all those jacked-up prices and ignorance from some gunshops.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Nosmik: Get a DCM/CMP M1 Garand. It's the best deal out there. But you have to qualify under the CMP rules, which is hard, but is well worth it. The 30-06 is a classic hard-hitting round.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:04:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The requirements aren't that bad at all.

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm

You have to be in a qualifying club or group (California Rifle and Pistol Assoc. is good to go) and meet one of these:

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

* Current or past military service.
   * Current or past law enforcement service
   * Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
   * Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
   * Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
   * Concealed Carry License.
   * Firearms Owner Identification Card.
   * FFL or C&R license.
   * Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
   * Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
   * No proof required if over age 60.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:14:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn, the guys at Discount Gun Mart always seemed pretty knowlegeable to me.  I dont really ask many questions though.

Have you tried American Shooting Center or Southern California Gun?  I remember seeing an AR-30 in American Shooting Center just last sunday, cant remember the price though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top