Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 12:36:54 AM EDT
What if some company came up with a reliable rifle, sorta like a MINI-14, that had a 5.56 spec chamber (chrome lined, of course), chrome lined barrel AND took AR15 mags???

I KNOW that there has to be a freaking market for a solid design such as this, so why won't someone step up and make one?  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The Kel-tec SU-16 takes AR15 mags.... I don't know how reliable it is.... I've heard it feels kinda cheapy and that the sights are made out of plastic, and therefore, are prone to breaking off. Supposedly Kel-Tec plans on coming out with another model of this rifle that is more solid with metal sights.

It won't really matter anyway man.... regardless if this rifle, or and other rifle in CA,  takes hi-cap AR15 mags, according to CA law, you cannot import such mags into CA anyways... you would have to use AR15 10 rounders, unless you already had hi-caps in the state which you could use. That's if you plan on following the law.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, well I hope they make the needed improvements to make this a better design; however, I'm still partial the to Mini-14's look...too bad it's such a piece of shit!

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
You could always get a CA legal M1A... fires 308, and takes hi-caps.... but again... you get screwed on the mag limit law in CA. They could take 20 rounds of 308, instead you're stuck with 10.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Those damn magazine check points between here and the three hour ride to 'Vegas are a killer.

I really want the Kel-Tec to work as I'd rather have a nice light .223 to one of the heavy .308 weapons.

+1

BTW, I am considering purchasing an M1A Scout, but .308 simply penetrates too much in a home defense situation.  This is where, I believe, the 5.56mm shines; limited penetration but great terminal ballistics on the bad guy!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Those damn magazine check points between here and the three hour ride to 'Vegas are a killer.

I really want the Kel-Tec to work as I'd rather have a nice light .223 to one of the heavy .308 weapons.

Yeah those drives are killer

I just wasn't going to state the obvious on a public forums board... but hey... since you already broke down the door... I might as well walk through  it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I even went so far as to email Bushmaster with a suggestion several months ago but never got a response. I told them that if they made a rifle based on the following, that many people would buy it, especially those of us in California. I know that there are many out there that are not as fortunate as myself to own several registered rifles that could use a quality made, non-"assault weapon".  The rifle I suggested would be base on a Mini-14 or M1 carbine format chambered for 5.56mm. Chrome-lined mil-spec chamber and barrel, accept readily available USGI AR15/M16 mags. Built in 1913 rail on top for optics, mil-spec finish for corrosion resistance, choice of synthetic or wood stocks and very important to me, a good set of iron sights more on the lines of the M1A or M1 carbine vs the Mini-14. I hate the sights on my Mini as it has no provisions for BDC or windage that dials back to zero. The sights on my M1A are awesome and very easy to use once sighted in. The M1A is however fairly expensive and I know that it could made cheaper. If Bushmaster could build this rifle, maybe even with some additional features that I didn't think of, I know that quite a few people would buy it, given a choice between this rifle, a Mini-14, M1 carbine, or the Kel-tec.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I even went so far as to email Bushmaster with a suggestion several months ago but never got a response. I told them that if they made a rifle based on the following, that many people would buy it, especially those of us in California. I know that there are many out there that are not as fortunate as myself to own several registered rifles that could use a quality made, non-"assault weapon".  The rifle I suggested would be base on a Mini-14 or M1 carbine format chambered for 5.56mm. Chrome-lined mil-spec chamber and barrel, accept readily available USGI AR15/M16 mags. Built in 1913 rail on top for optics, mil-spec finish for corrosion resistance, choice of synthetic or wood stocks and very important to me, a good set of iron sights more on the lines of the M1A or M1 carbine vs the Mini-14. I hate the sights on my Mini as it has no provisions for BDC or windage that dials back to zero. The sights on my M1A are awesome and very easy to use once sighted in. The M1A is however fairly expensive and I know that it could made cheaper. If Bushmaster could build this rifle, maybe even with some additional features that I didn't think of, I know that quite a few people would buy it, given a choice between this rifle, a Mini-14, M1 carbine, or the Kel-tec.

What he said.

And make it MOA accurate out of the box.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yep, you and and I are on the same page.  I wonder how long till some manufacturer sees the LIGHT?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top