Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 6:10:00 PM EDT
At first I didn't think much of this, seeming to pertain to machine guns and destructive devices. But then I kept readin through the PDF document. Better go read it. It has new requirements for transporting and storage of, besides MGs and DDs, ASSAULT WEAPONS.

For transportation of an AW this includes a locked case BOLTED TO THE FLOOR OF THE VEHICLE.

For storage, all doors - interior and exterior - must be of SOLID CORE, and any sliding glass door and/or windows must have STEEL BARS.

Better go read the PDF and plan to get yourself to the hearing to be heard.

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/dwindx.htm
DANGEROUS WEAPON PERMITS

September 3, 2004

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Department of Justice (DOJ) has released proposed revisions to existing dangerous weapon permit regulations for a 45 day comment period.  This comment period ends at close of business on October 18, 2004.

The DOJ proposes to amend and/or adopt the proposed regulations described below after considering all comments, objections and recommendations regarding the proposed action. DOJ proposes to amend sections 971, 972, 972.1, 972.2, 972.4, 972.5, 972.6, 972.7, 974, 974.1, 975, 975.1, 975.2, 975.3, and 975.5 in Title 11, Division I, Chapter 12.5 of the California Code of Regulations.

PUBLIC HEARING

DOJ will hold a public hearing starting at 10:00 a.m. on October 18, 2004, at the Sacramento Works Mark Sanders Complex at 2901 50th Street, Sacramento, California, 95817. The hearing room is wheelchair accessible. At the hearing, any person may present statements or arguments orally or in writing relevant to the proposed regulatory action described in the Informative Digest. The Department requests but does not require that persons who make oral comments also submit a written copy of their testimony at the hearing.

Link to PDF: caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/dwpropregs.pdf
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Just another reason for them to find something "easy" to confiscate your weapon!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Starts page 15 .. I'll be busy looking up court cases..
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That is just stupid.  The problem is they can make all the laws they want, but they are only as good as the people who enforce them.  I personally know a bunch of LASD and LAPD officers who could give a crap how I am taking my guns to the range.  Again, this is just shit and proof that governement needs to spend less time thinking of new useless laws and find beter ways to fund our schools and building new freeways here in Cali.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:32:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Since I don't have a Dangerous Weapon Permit why should I care?

This affects gun dealers, and security companies that have permits for their weapons.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope I'm missing something. I'm getting the impression that this will affect anyone who owns a registered assault weapon.

I get the impression it will effect ME.

The title of the regulation is:
REGULATION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE PERTAINING TO DANGEROUS WEAPONS
It states new, stringent regulations for the possession and transportation of dangerous weapons.

Section 971(m) states that an assault weapon is a dangerous weapon, right along side machine guns, short-barreled rifles & short-barreled shotguns, and destructive devices.

What's going on?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#6]
'
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#7]
It has been my contention for years that there should be a 10 year moratorium on all new laws....period.  Send congress and all the state legistlatures home for a decade.  We are literally drowning in laws in this country to the point where computers are necessary just to catalog them.  No one person, lawyer, judge, politician, or genius can keep up with the shit storm of crap coming out of the 50 state houses and washington.  Take a long vacation, I say.  I'll bet the sky doesn't fall after all.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I hope I'm missing something. I'm getting the impression that this will affect anyone who owns a registered assault weapon.

I get the impression it will effect ME...

I don't believe so, DamageInc.  This is about making life more miserable for machinegun dealers.

From Lockey's proposal:

The term, “assault weapon permit” means a permit issued pursuant to Penal Code Section

Here's the full text of PC 12286:

12286.  Any person who lawfully acquired an assault weapon before
June 1, 1989, and wishes to use it in a manner different than
specified in subdivision (c) of Section 12285, any person who
lawfully acquired an assault weapon between June 1, 1989, and January
1, 1990, and wishes to keep it after January 1, 1990, or any person
who wishes to acquire an assault weapon after January 1, 1990, shall
first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same
manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of
Chapter 2.

If you are just Joe Kalifornistani like me with a grandfathered, registered AW or three that you use for personal use, you don't need the permit they're talking about.  The proposed reg SUCKS but as I read it, the new requirements would apply only to MG/AW dealers and people who got DoJ permission to acquire them after the ban went into effect, or have them for business use e.g. security companies.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I think California _Kid is correct.

"wishes to use it in a manner different than specified in subdivision (c) of Section 12285"

This is the section we all fit into when we registered our rifles as assault weapons.
12285(c) A person who has registered an assault weapon under this section may possess it only under any of the following conditions..........

Good catch though Pthfndr.  I totally missed this bill change.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Since I don't have a Dangerous Weapon Permit why should I care?

This affects gun dealers, and security companies that have permits for their weapons.

It also will affect gunsmiths in CA who have a AW permit, collectors who have a AW permit, any FFL who has a AW permit. It's NOT just for those who have a permit for a DD or MG.

Well bolt gun and shot gun owners didn't give a fuck about our ARs either, and everybody bitched about them. So I guess you don't give a fuck unless it's YOUR gun they want. Screw everyone else. Is that what you're saying?

I'll grant that it does not specifically apply to a owner of a registered AW - YET. But guess what happens next when some dip shit liberal gun grabbing politician sees this. They'll say "hey! great idea! Let's make ALL AW owners do this".
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#11]
For the record, I took off work to attend this hearing.   I was the only person there!

The people at the DOJ were quite nice, and helpful. hey were expecting a few more people to show up. We spent a few minutes discussing the new regulations pertaining to this law.  It is a sizable fee increase and a new inspection requirement.  You are welcome to fax them written comments until the end of the day.  They stated that they do read them and consider them important.

I spent another 20 minutes discussing AB50.  They cleared up some questions I had about that law.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#12]
What's the scoop on AB50?

Any indication of a leaning on the 50BMG upper assemblies and if the single shot DOJ approved lowers can be registered, or is that still a loophole without an answer?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]

At first I didn't think much of this, seeming to pertain to machine guns and destructive devices. But then I kept readin through the PDF document. Better go read it. It has new requirements for transporting and storage of, besides MGs and DDs, ASSAULT WEAPONS.

So would this effect you if you have a FAB 10 lower?  Does having a FAB 10 make your AR not an assult weapons?  

Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top