Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 5:49:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't comment on the legal aspects, but after the ban he won't be able to haul it out to the desert and shoot it there. He would have to go to a gun range or private property, and not all gun ranges support 50 BMG.

You might want to see if he would have anyplace to shoot it . . .
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I can't comment on the legal aspects, but after the ban he won't be able to haul it out to the desert and shoot it there. He would have to go to a gun range or private property, and not all gun ranges support 50 BMG.

You might want to see if he would have anyplace to shoot it . . .

Why not? Assault Weapon related laws regarding firing or something?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
50 bmg is too loud for the 89 year old women at the range.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a good friend I have known for 20 years since high school, he can't afford a .50 right now. There is no long gun registration here in NV, can I have him register the .50 in Cali so he could take it to Cali when he visits Vegas and wants to shoot it near home or am I missing something? I'm figuring in the eyes of the law the gun will be legally his but like I said I don't think he will throw 20 years down the drain trying to screw me out of a $3000 gun.

A long gun purchased in California goes through a "dros" form. Dros is, dealer record of sale. This dros form does not register a specific make or model or serial number to a buyer. It only determines if the buyer can lawfully own one and is not a prohibited individual. Hypothetically, he could have purchased the long gun years/months/weeks ago, but I still think you'll have to clear the hurdle as to how he "purchased" said longgun out of state without going through a dealer.
I *believe* the only way to get it to him and not have any problems is to have a California FFL do the transfer. Basically, you and him determined the price, if any, then ship your rifle to his local FFL dealer for transfer (I would get a "file" copy of the dealers FFL license so you would have a paper trail as to where your rifle went). He would then wait the State mandated 10 days before picking it up and filling out a yellow form.
If he's in or near Southern California Riverside County area, I use a dealer that charges $35 total and that includes the DROS fee. Let me know if you need his info or whatever.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#5]
He is a Caliban resident, which is required for registering the .50, I think?  There are some places selling receivers between $300 and $600, to offset the costs.  Build later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top