Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 4:39:05 PM EDT
So... AB-50 passed (through illegal ghost and double-voting) and Mr. I'm for Sensible Gun Control signed it into law to take effect on the 1st of the new year..

I've always wanted a .50BMG but this has forced me to speed up the aquisition.

I'm looking for a good bolt-action .50BMG around $2,000.

The Serbu BFG-50 looks about right, and I've heard some good things about it. What other options are there available? (I'm already planning on buying a single-shot AR-15 lower and registering it so I can build up a Ferret50 or similar later on) and what are the prices on your suggestions?

Links/pics are good.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#3]
State Arms Rebel  $2150

Shorty $1800

You have to load the round into the bolt with these tho..
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:47:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have one either yet, but for somewhat cheap (with a magazine)I've been looking into either the UltraMag50 or the Anzio Iron Works for less than 3 grand.  The Ultra fits on a AR reciever.  I'm trying to figure out which I should get.  They both seem to have plusses and minusses, but it really is still up in the air.  I figure if I'm going to get one it better be good and impressive!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
State Arms Rebel  $2150

Shorty $1800

I like this and the Serbu, does anyone know how these compare?  The Serbu shot better than the AR-50, a Barrett and something else.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm going the cheapo route and getting a ferret50 upper..first I'll register a dpms single shot lower...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
State Arms Rebel  $2150

Shorty $1800

I like this and the Serbu, does anyone know how these compare?  The Serbu shot better than the AR-50, a Barrett and something else.

I'm now highly considering a Shorty

I can have Shortys ready to ship on a tactical stock almost instantly. If you want it on a laminate wood stock delivery time is approx. 3 weeks.
I know Mark makes a good rifle it's just a little different. His are pretty light and use a shorter barrel. More for offhand shooting. Mine is heavier and because of that I think the recoil is less. The shorty is alot of gun for the money. It includes a full lifetime warranty and comes with the bipod, scope rail and rings in your choice of 1" or 30mm. It is super accurate out to the 700-800 yard range and beyond. I guarantee it to shoot 1 MOA or less out to 700 yds using good quality hand loaded ammo.  Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss it further.
Best Regards, Larry
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Wasn't it a State Arms that had a malfunction and drove the bolt through the shooters head a while back?

I am not sure about this so please correct me if I am wrong. I know someone was killed by his kersploding .50 a little while back.

Edited to add that I stand corrected and withdraw my statement. Not fatal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#9]

I can have Shortys ready to ship on a tactical stock almost instantly. If you want it on a laminate wood stock delivery time is approx. 3 weeks.
I know Mark makes a good rifle it's just a little different. His are pretty light and use a shorter barrel. More for offhand shooting. Mine is heavier and because of that I think the recoil is less. The shorty is alot of gun for the money. It includes a full lifetime warranty and comes with the bipod, scope rail and rings in your choice of 1" or 30mm. It is super accurate out to the 700-800 yard range and beyond. I guarantee it to shoot 1 MOA or less out to 700 yds using good quality hand loaded ammo. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss it further.

Chaingun,
Are you putting together a kalifornia group buy?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wasn't it a State Arms that had a malfunction and drove the bolt through the shooters head a while back?

I am not sure about this so please correct me if I am wrong. I know someone was killed by his kersploding .50 a little while back.

You thinking about the guy that worked for sarco and interordnance or something?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Disregard all of the following, I was wrong:

No, it was definitely a .50 rifle. Pretty sure it was a State Arms. I remember that Mr. Serbu made a statement after the incident. I will do a search.

Edited to add that I have done a friggen' search and can't find a thing anywhere.

Anyone remember anything about this? It was covered fairly well here, maybe 2 years ago.

Until I find proof, I will retract my statement as to the brand of the rifle. But it did happen.

Edited to add a retraction. Not fatal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I have talked to a lady of CA DOJ this morning. Based on my understanding, I clearified some questions of mine. However, I am not an attorney. Please correct me if I am wrong. Should any further questions happen, please consult with DOJ.

Bad news: She said that you can not register a lower receiver as 50BMG unless it is marked exactly "50BMG". That is, a DPMS single shot lower can not be registered as a 50BMG lower. It is because the mark on DPMS lower is exactly ".223".

Good news: The 50 ban only bans specific "50BMG" rifles. The other 50 calibers are not baned.

Pending issues: AG are having more meetings to discuss the inter-changeable lower receiver issues.

Just my $0.02, it is highly encouraged to contact with DOJ directly to figure out ???s.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I would not recommend the shell holder 50's.

If you want a cheap 50, there is not finer than the Serbu BOLT ACTION.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have talked to a lady of CA DOJ this morning. Based on my understanding, I clearified some questions of mine. However, I am not an attorney. Please correct me if I am wrong. Should any further questions happen, please consult with DOJ.

Bad news: She said that you can not register a lower receiver as 50BMG unless it is marked exactly "50BMG". That is, a DPMS single shot lower can not be registered as a 50BMG lower. It is because the mark on DPMS lower is exactly ".223".

Good news: The 50 ban only bans specific "50BMG" rifles. The other 50 calibers are not baned.

Pending issues: AG are having more meetings to discuss the inter-changeable lower receiver issues.

Just my $0.02, it is highly encouraged to contact with DOJ directly to figure out ???s.

So does this mean that they can not call the .223 ARs with a .50BMG upper as a banned firearm, since it clearly says ".223" on the receiver?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So does this mean that they can not call the .223 ARs with a .50BMG upper as a banned firearm, since it clearly says ".223" on the receiver?

The CA DOJ didn't know what they were getting into, huh?  Bwahahaha!  Nice to see them sweating this one out.  

If a guy currently has a .223 receiver and uses a 50 BMG upper, and the DOJ will not let him register it, but yet still calls his weapon illegal, the state would have to compensate him for it per the US Constitution I believe.  

There is no way around this issue for the CA gov't.  Either allow people to skirt registration by using a non 50 BMG marked receiver, which will essentially make the law useless.  Or allow all receivers to be reg'd which then opens up possibilities to sneak in registration of receivers that can later be converted into "assault weapons."              
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#16]
DPMS marks their single shot lowers CAL: MULTI, I believe...

And you could allways change the caliber marking to 'Cal: 50BMG' with an electric pencil...

It's only illegal to deface the serial number.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Whatever you do, with CA-DOJ, Get it in writing!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#18]
So according to CA a .50 BMG rifle is only a .50 BMG if it says so on the receiver? Hmm. What if I were to engrave "Carrot" on the side? Would they try to eat it?

So if someone were to purchase an 80% AR lower, finish it, and engrave "Did-it-myself .50 BMG" on the side, and registered it as such, it would be alright? (I know this loophole question was beaten to death in another thread and it sounds like it will work, but has anyone heard from the DOJ otherwise?)

Stupid laws.

Rayn
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#19]
To Dave_A:

I just got my DPMS single-shot lower receiver yesterday. It marks:

MODEL VRS
CAL.223

Just FIY
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#20]

So if someone were to purchase an 80% AR lower, finish it, and engrave "Did-it-myself .50 BMG" on the side, and registered it as such, it would be alright? (I know this loophole question was beaten to death in another thread and it sounds like it will work, but has anyone heard from the DOJ otherwise?)

I'm with you, if I have an 80%, and I dont complete the mag well, and I stamp it 50bmg.  Whatare they going to do, tell me its not, or are they going to put restrictions on rifles,k and I stamp every calibre known ot man on 1 lower, so I can shoot any calibre I want out of it.
Sounds to me like this law is really going to open pandoras box.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you suggesting that Kali's gun owners are the horrifying torent of evil stuck within Pandora's box? Hmm, sounds about right. Too bad we don't unleash ourselves on voting day...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Operror,
The guy wasn't killed, the bolt went through the inside edge of his arm. Seems that some dip dunk played with the bolt trying to take down the poundage on the trigger. This is a SERIOUS NO NO on a shellholder type action!!! What ended up happening was that as the bolt was being locked into battery if went off. The rest is history but with a good ending, the guy should be lucky he didn't have the bolt sticking out of his nose!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#23]
If a lower is scribed as "50bmg" than it's a 50bmg.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'm with you, if I have an 80%, and I dont complete the mag well, and I stamp it 50bmg.  Whatare they going to do, tell me its not, or are they going to put restrictions on rifles,k and I stamp every calibre known ot man on 1 lower, so I can shoot any calibre I want out of it.
Sounds to me like this law is really going to open pandoras box.

I'm thinking the same
"50BMG/.223/9mm"

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Operror,
The guy wasn't killed, the bolt went through the inside edge of his arm. Seems that some dip dunk played with the bolt trying to take down the poundage on the trigger. This is a SERIOUS NO NO on a shellholder type action!!! What ended up happening was that as the bolt was being locked into battery if went off. The rest is history but with a good ending, the guy should be lucky he didn't have the bolt sticking out of his nose!

Well, hell. I must be really confused. Sorry if screwed this up. Thanks for setting me straight!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Bluegrass Armory
$300 for the reciever!

$2595 to finish it
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

They sure as shit better let us register the things as 50BMG rifles otherwise it's gonna create big problems.

Last thing I want to have happen is be out shooting the rifle or be driving between point A and point B only to be stopped by a cop and questioned about my giant assed "sniper" rifle.

When he finds out that it's obviously a 50BMG rifle, either by my telling him or him finding ammo for the rifle, it is likely that the officer will want to inquire about the registered status of a firearm he otherwise believes to have been banned.

If I cannot register the damned thing as a 50BMG rifle, or allowed to register the lower receiver as an "assault weapon" defined by the fact that a 50BMG upper has been mated to it, I'm gonna be standing their arguing about this crap with an officer who is likely to arrest me for having what he believes to be an illegal firearm.

Okay DOJ, figure it out.     DPMS single shot lower is marked 223Rem so it can't be registered as a 50BMG rifle, fine then we better be able to register it as an "assault weapon" which the law evidvently considers to be the same class/group of weapon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Does anyone have a Bluegrss Armory 50?
How does it compare to other 50's
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Nope.. but I'll be getting one..
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Whatever you do, with CA-DOJ, Get it in writing!

ABALUTELY, and even then you're playin' with old forked tongue.  JL
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#31]
leelaw,

having any luck locating one?

MT
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
leelaw,

having any luck locating one?

MT

A fellow ARFCOMMER is asking his friend (FFL) about doing a transfer of a Serbu receiver/rifle.. I'm waiting to hear back from him..

Word from Serbu is that they are currently out of stock of everything but are working on receivers furiously and shoudl have a couple batches of receivers only within a month. They're accepting pre-orders right now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Serbu out of Stock! Damn, I ordered my Serbu .50BMG Carbine last week at the Cow Palace show, I was told the wait time was 6-8 weeks, I put a $500 down payment and owe $2088 on it.  Total price was $2588 comes with it's case, bipod, & includes Tax, & DROS fees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top