Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 7:59:42 AM EDT
Did anyone watch KTLA's 10:00pm news thing yesterday?  Hal Fishman almost made me cry I was so happy...

here's what he had to say: http://ktla.trb.com/news/local/eveningnews/ktla-091304fishman-commentary,0,6580462.story?coll=ktla-evening-news-2

The yearlong ban on what were called assault weapons has ended.

What is an assault weapon? Senator Kerry, who favors the ban, said police might now find themselves staring down the barrel of a machine gun.

Not quite. Machine guns have been outlawed since 1934 and have no bearing on the issue. We are talking about certain kinds of semi-automatic rifles, which means you pull the trigger once - one shot is fired.

A machine gun can fire 10 or more rounds per second with one pull of the trigger. The problem with the ban that expired today is its effectiveness. There are a quarter of a billion guns in America, and most violent crime is committed with handguns.

Regardless of which side of the gun control debate you are on the reality is you will never dispense with guns in America.

From that point, the problem becomes who possesses guns, little handguns or assault weapons. I don't worry if a law-abiding citizen has an AK-47. I do worry if a criminal is at large with a handgun.

And considering the war on terrorism, there should be rigorous screening of all who buy and sell guns because if someone is shooting at you with a 22 caliber handgun or a 30 caliber rifle, it's an assault weapon.

I'm not sure which side of the line KTLA stands on, but what was said here was great. Kudos to Hal Fishman and whoever decided that this should be on the nightly news.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I've always agreed with what Hal has to say on his commentary bits. He uses a lot of something which is almost completely absent today in America ..........................

Common sense.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw that also. I've always watched because that news broadcast did a story about the FN P90 that was introduced by FN a few years back. I never did see that on any other station. KTLA was the only one who showed it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I grew up watching Hal.  I'm glad he spoke up for what he believes.  I hope he hangs around for many more years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top