Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 6:47:23 PM EDT
what is the shortest length legal in california for shotgun? how about a rifle? i know min. legal barrel lengths are 18,16 inches. i think fed law is atleast 27 inches overal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, here's a link you should check out...

California Penal Code

California Penal Code - 12276.1
    (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

There doesn't seem to be a "minimum" length for shotguns (pump or semi) so you'll have to go by the federal law. There's only a ban on semi-auto shotguns that have both a pistol grip and a folding/telescoping stock, any shotgun with a revolving cylinder and finally, a semi-auto shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
so a pre ban folding stock chinese ak47 clone purchased before the kaliban and registered is ilegal in california?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup...anything that was registered before the 2000 ban is legal (and legal to modify to pre-FEDERAL-ban configuration when the AWB sunsets) so long as it didn't violate the Roberti-Roos ban (which named specific brand/models)....

Now if you have a gun that was on the Roberti-Roos list, it would be legal if you owned it BEFORE the ban (in 1989) and you registered it (I don't know what the cutoff date was for the '89 ban registeration)....

Also, the gun has to have been a "complete" gun (sold from the factory as a "complete" gun) or, just like the Federal laws, you'd have to have solid proof that the receiver was made into a complete gun before whichever ban applies....

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]
after long hours searching the cali doj site i found the answer.  legal minimum overal length for a rifle or a shotgun is 26 inches. any semi auto rifle under 30 inches long is considered an assualt weapon and had to be registered in 2000
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top