Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2004 12:05:03 PM EDT
just finished an 8hr hunting course for california.  i was shocked...  ANY semi auto rifle, u can use ANY capacity mag for hunting!!!!!!!!   FAL 20rd/308!  AR15/223/30rd, etc.  i was shocked.  i kid you not. contact fish and game.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Ya,
I went pig hunting a while back and we all took our ar15's and we where all camo 'd out . We did run accross some wildlife ranger who tripped out on us. Heres 6 guys with painted faces and cammies with ar's. The guy didnt know what to think. When he saw us he actually back up about 100 feet in his truck. Then over his intercom he asked what in the hell we were doing and we told him. He actually called it in and confirmed that we could hunt with these rifles with 30 rounders in them. You would think we would have known that. Are you located in near the san fran bay area??
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I had the same type of experience while hunting bambi last year.  The local ranger stopped us on opening day to make sure our firearms were unloaded.  It was great trying to watch him figure out how to open the action on a HK91......I finally had to show him.  He though it was overkill, until I informed him that it only fired one .308 at a time.  You would think Ranger Rick would know a little something about firearms.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
You would think that the Rangers would be the first to get training on any new changes to laws so that they don't look like fools like in the above mentioned instances.  It's amazing how clueless the people can be who are supposed to be the all-knowing authorities!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#4]
i am located in  southern calif... near LA.  well now i can use my M14 or Fn-Fal to go hunt boar:-)  and also use a 20rd mag for my bushmaster 24inch varmint rifle:-)
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#5]
cool hunting law i guess, in MI we are limited in mag capacity for hunting
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i am located in  southern calif... near LA.  well now i can use my M14 or Fn-Fal to go hunt boar:-)  and also use a 20rd mag for my bushmaster 24inch varmint rifle:-)

Try the M1A on some jackrabbits.

Let me if you're ever up in the high desert area.

Jackrabbit license is 28.00, no bag limit and you can hunt them all year 'round.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I might be wrong but I thought you could not have a reg. aw on public land . They are only legal to hunt with on private property.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]
only 8 hours? my hunter safety instructor made us do the full 10 hours. then i found a guy who would give the test only and not the class time, as a personal favor.

i believe the only mag capacity restriction in kali is for bird hunting.

forest rangers VS fish and game wardens, big difference. a warden would know the mag capacity laws or at least he should because its his job, where a forest ranger isnt going to be up on the fish n game laws, and is more like a security guard for the trees and bears.

i thought yearly hunting fee was like $29-31

anyone know a good spot for jacks and ground squirrels? i aint seen too many jacks around in years
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:52:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
only 8 hours? my hunter safety instructor made us do the full 10 hours. then i found a guy who would give the test only and not the class time, as a personal favor.

forest rangers VS fish and game wardens, big difference. a warden would know the mag capacity laws or at least he should because its his job, where a forest ranger isnt going to be up on the fish n game laws, and is more like a security guard for the trees and bears.

anyone know a good spot for jacks and ground squirrels? i aint seen too many jacks around in years

I know a few nice spots by Barstow.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Federal Government requires the instruction to be AT LEAST 10 HOURS in the Hunter Education Program.  Anyone who gives you an 8 hour course or just lets you take the test is breaking the law and should not be a Hunter Education Instructor.  Many classes are more like 12-14 hours as 10 hours is the minimum.

Sum-Rifle Ca H.E.I. #1807      
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Its 10 hours total. But they can issue a 2 hour "homework" assignment along with 8 hours or classroom time
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#12]
my friend lives down in the SD/riverside area and invited me hunting and i was wondering if a ranger would really care if he stumbled across me with my A.R. in other words would he call local police or anything i used to live in cali but the only huntin i did then was waterfowl so thats my question
thank you
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:30:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
just finished an 8hr hunting course for california.  i was shocked...  ANY semi auto rifle, u can use ANY capacity mag for hunting!!!!!!!!   FAL 20rd/308!  AR15/223/30rd, etc.  i was shocked.  i kid you not. contact fish and game.

Why should this be shocking?  CA is not as bad as many would have you believe.

Legal AWs are ok on BLM land in most areas.

One can however question the ethics and sportsmanship of using FMJ and spray and pray for hunting, but it ain't illegal.  One bullet at a time, as noted, and if it's a proper cartridge for the game hunted and properly aimed.  What's the dif?  But poorly aimed or inadequately performing bullets that cause needless  pain and suffering at any time, and the "hunter" that  does it should be treated accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey unixcock... im at Travis, and my friend and i want to go hunt boar... where do you go and how often do you find em? ive never gone for boar, and plan to take my M1 Garand and K98. i want to see their effectiveness.

i had a TERRIBLE duck and goose season last year... you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top