Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2003 9:59:42 AM EDT

Not by choice of course! I'm being stationed at North Island. I'm looking for places to stay. I get $1,100 a month in BAH. What are some good areas? (half hour commute or less, low crime neighborhood)Is there a way to get to North Island without paying for the toll bridge?  Chula Vista seems to have some affordable places but a friend told me that is not a good place to go. What areas should I avoid? I don't care so much about living in a nice appartment, I just don't want my stuff jacked in the middle of the night, or while I'm at work. Also if someone has info on local indoor and outdoor ranges, that would be great too. I'll have my G26 with me. Is that cool with california gun laws? Are there any insane permits that are required like NY or NJ?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
There are plenty of cheaper apartments available but very very few if any on North Island. Chula Juana (Vista), "Nasty" National City and others just across the bay. You can drive the Silver Strand if you're coming from the far south (like TJ!) rather than coming across the bridge.

All pistols brought into the state have to be registered within 60 days. If you're active duty you can bring all the assault weapons with you that you want after you get the permit. Your high cap (more than 10 round) magazines aren't wanted here but there are no border check points and no way to prove that the magazines were on the inside or outside of California prior to 1 Jan 2000 - as long as the pistol model is that old .

The San Diego police range in the south east corner of San Diego is open to the pubic. It's always nice to out shoot the cops on either side of you . The only indoor range I knew of burned down but I get Dunns Discount guns on the north side has a small indoor range in what use to be part of their showroom.

Check out the USMC gun store at the MCRD there. There was good pricing on duty sized pistols and bolt action rifles before. Camp Pendelton has a small gun store too. (no taxes!)

CCW is permitted but hard to get. You get one arrest for "free" - ok it is $200 as long as you're not a gang member or have a knife. It's free enough that I wouldn't worry about it if I were to carry illegal and get caught.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Paul. Elaborate on that a little more. I understand it's a misdemeanor, so there is a fine but NO possibility of jail time?

Also Paul, are you the FFL at March ARB?

I'm writing a book..more questions...

Rescueram - Ship or shore?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, I forgot the Coronado bridge isn't a toll bridge anymore.

If you ever want to get together and head out to the desert I'm in the Los Angeles area. I did the LA to San Diego drive everyday while I was stationed aboard ship. It's not that far.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Thanks for some of the info. I'll look for places a little farther North. It just seemed to me that the apartments seemed cheaper on the south side of town. I guess there's a reason for that. If my gun wasn't registered and I used it in self defense what kind of trouble would I be looking at? The story of the guy arrested after caping an intruder in his 2 yo son's bedroom comes to mind.

Firecontrolman: I'll be on shore HS-10, oh thanks for the info about the bridge.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't say that I ever heard of someone getting prosecuted for having an unregistered gun, unless it was one of several counts.

That said registering them is not that expensive and if they ever get stolen or you want to sell one or more you don't suddenly have a problem on your hands.

I don't think I'd want to commute any further than from Escondido down the 15.

I knew Pendleton had guns the last time I was there but I haven't seen the gun store at MCRD for a few years.  Where is it?  They used to have some decent buys on pistols.

as far as defending yourself in your home

From the Penal Code:

197.  Homicide is also justifiable when committed by any person in
any of the following cases:

2. When committed in defense of habitation, property, or person,
against one who manifestly intends or endeavors, by violence or
surprise, to commit a felony, or against one who manifestly intends
and endeavors, in a violent, riotous or tumultuous manner, to enter
the habitation of another for the purpose of offering violence to any
person therein; or,

198.5.  Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or
great bodily injury within his or her residence shall be presumed to
have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great
bodily injury to self, family, or a member of the household when that
force is used against another person, not a member of the family or
household, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and
forcibly entered the residence and the person using the force knew or
had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred.

As used in this section, great bodily injury means a significant
or substantial physical injury.

199.  The homicide appearing to be justifiable or excusable, the
person indicted must, upon his trial, be fully acquitted and
discharged.

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep in mind the traffic patterns while you scout for a place to live. San Diego has become grossly overburdened with Riverside county commuters that work here. This means stay out of the north county areas (particularly the I-15 corridor) if you want a light commute. Most places north of the base off the I-5 will probably be a bit too pricey. In spite of what others may have told you, Chula Vista and National City have plenty of decent places to live.

Now the important stuff:

Indoor ranges -
Discount Gun Mart on Morena Blvd would be closest to the base.
American Shooting Center isn't much further.
Iron Sights is way up north.

Oh! and once you get used to the ash blowing around, you'll love it here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Rescueram,

Prosecution for carrying concealed without a permit varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but it can carry up to a year in  jail and $1000 fine. 12031 PC & 12025 PC

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/dwc.htm
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#8]
The Navy runs a ferry service from the Coast Guard station on Harbor Blvd near the public airport. I have been on it since the 70's so check to see if it is still operational.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:18:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Gonna do the Nasty Island commute.

I suggest that you live in the greater Miramar area.
You could get a couple of room mates and get a decent house with that BAH.

When I was looking for a place out there my rule of thumb was nothing south of I-8, nothing west of I-5 and nothing north of Hwy-78.

You would probably be happy in Poway, and you can find a good apartment for between $700-$1100 easy.

Poway would put you within 45 minutes of Ramona and Orosco Ridge, and an hour from Aguanga Ridge on Hwy-79, plus the Miramar Exchange and Commissary are right around the corner.

For shooting I suggest:
South Bay Rod & Gun Club
members.cox.net/southbayrodandgunclub/
American Shooting Center
www.gotammo.com/
Magnolia Indoor Range
www.magrange.com/
Magnolia has a cool indoor interactive shooting range.

With a name like rescue are you going to be on the SAR team at NAS Nasty Island or are you going to the SAR school?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top