Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2003 4:52:06 PM EDT
Anyone else watching fires burning outside their back windows? The nearest fire to me is on the otherside of a mountain but the wind is blowing this way - blowing hard.

We're in a subdivision just at the edge of town. There are plenty of homes between us and the fire so if you hear of hundreds of homes going up east of Riverside that's mine. I'm more worried about mandatory evacuations and possible looters running around behind the lines.

The car is topped off but we haven't started to worry yet. There are ashes floating down into my yard - little tiny ones. The winds is just doing 10-15 mph but is expected to rage tonight upto 50 mph. Tomorrow they're calling for 25-35 mph and up to 60 mph come evening.

Santa Anna winds and fire ... just what I need.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck, Paul. No fires in my windows (or anywhere else), fortunately. But I'll tell you something--did a long run this morning down by the beach and kept getting stuff in my eyes. Thought it was just dust and other debris kicked up by traffic when I was next to streets, but after it got light, I saw all the ash floating gently down! Sky's been that weird orange all day.

Edited to correct punctuation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
keep safe you guys. if looting starts, take out as many as you can!
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Stay safe.  Please let us know how you are doing.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I am in Thousand Oaks, and we have been deluged with ash all day from the Val Verde fire.  My sister-in-law in Simi Valley (about seven miles northeast of me) just sent picks of the view of the mountians north of where she lives.  Huge walls of flames on the tops of the ridges.  The news just said the 118 freeway was closed between Simi and Moorpark because of the heavy smoke (which is floating above my house).  I will probably be up late keeping an eye on things.  Has a ways to go, and several large housing areas before it could get to me, but I do live on the edge of canyons and wilderness areas, so I worry about embers.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Heck, I'm still waitin' for the Taliban to march up my street . . .
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Santa Ana winds come in from the northeast. I think you will be ok in Riverside Paul. The fire appears to be coming my way.
I am west of Rancho Cucamonga about a mile from the base of the mountains. To be honest I am not worried yet. Back in I think 1969 there was a huge fire on Mt. Baldy which is right above me. The whole mountain was on fire. The thing that was the worst were the mud slides afterwards.  We had to evacuate Upland and go down into Ontario. We have the 10 freeway which is below ground bewteen the two cities. The 210 freeway is below ground also as it travels past my neighborhood.  At 6 lanes I hope it is wide enough to be an effective breaker.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just come on over here and check the Galleria Starbucks.....there all there and driving expensive cars.  nothing less than BMW.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

just come on over here and check the Galleria Starbucks.....there all there and driving expensive cars.  nothing less than BMW.  

Heh, heh, heh, heh ....

Took the boys out about 8pm to go to my parents house in Simi Valley.  For those familiar with this area, I took Olsen road over, and when I got to the 23 Freeway, I could see 50 foot flames on the hills above Tierra Rejada Road, about 2 to 3 miles north, and lots of stop and go traffic.  I made a quick U-Turn, as I was concerned I would not make it back.  Also heard rumors that WalMart in Simi Valley burned (as I said, rumors), and also that Reagan Library was threatened.  My post earlier thought the fire was 20 miles or so away . . . now it is about 5 to 7, and I live next to canyons and wilderness areas.  It will be an interesting night . . .
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#10]
And meanwhile my unit the 146th AW sits on the ground watching all the fires. We have two C-130's that can dump retardant and within 24hours can have 6 more. our aircraft can fly where others cannot but we have not been used because of an old law from 1932 that says we can not be used untill all other resourses have been used up.  Even though we are already here and ready to go. I ask all of you ESPECIALLY all those who can see the fires to contact Sen Elton Gallegy at http://www.house.gov/gallegly/welcome.htm
and urge him to deploy us. WE CAN SAVE HOMES!!!
e-mail or call all the news channels and ask them why we are not deployed!!
check these sites for more info (sorry i do not know how to make links hot)
http://airtanker.com/maffs.htm
http://www.146aw.ca.ang.af.mil/maffs/maffs.htm
and if and when we do deploy just look for the herc with the number 4 on it, that will be me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Sure sounds like a stupid law. Grand Prix Fire has moved west fast tonight because of heavy winds. I can see it no problem from my house now. You can see the wind gusts whip the flames up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm nervously watching this suspicious looking patch of something, hopefully it's fog but it can't be, the temp is getting higher here (went up 4 degrees in 30 min.) 2 miles south of me
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Hope the fire doesn't get you Paul, it breaks my heart to see all the folks lose everything they own.
I have a sudden urge to check on my property insurance policy..the place in Malibu ain't gonna burn, but the one in Palisades is in the mountain..sigh.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Very stupid law. (Wouldn't doubt it was sponsored by some California Senator at the time...)

Hope all your houses stay safe though. Fires suck in a big way. I have had ash all over my car for the past three days thankfully that is the least of my worries. I heard they just started evacuating Lake Arrowhead homes
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I can sure relate.  I lived through the 1970 Laguna fire here in San Diego.  We sat in El Cajon and watched it jumping from ridge to ridge taking house after house just a couple of miles east of us.  The sky looked like Mars at sunset and breathing was very difficult at times.

Scary, scary stuff especially to a 13 year old kid (me).  They didn't know if they could keep it from encroaching on the city.  We were ready to flee at a moments notice.

I just looked up the stats for it.  175,425 acres/382 structures and 5 deaths.

I shudder to think what a similar fire would cost now.  At LEAST 10 to 20 times more structures as at that time east of El Cajon was practically deserted.  Hell, it would probably look like the Oakland Hills fire if it happened now.

We’ll keep you in our thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:45:52 AM EDT
[#16]
From what I saw you should be getting ready to put yourflight suits on.  Take a quick glance at Incident Control.

www.incidentcontrol.com/

Both the Grand Prix and the "Old/Old Waterman" Fires.
(The site apparently concentrates on SBDO events.)  According to the CHP transcript some looney was setting this.  Like to ventilate his butt.  As long as it was the right guy, I doubt you could find a Grand Jury to indict.

Heard there was another fire in the Crestline area which was really forcing the evacs off the mountain, looks like they are going down 173 from the north side of Lake Arrowhead.  I dunno but it may be on of the few dirt state highways left.  Not for the faint of heart on a good day.  At night in traffic?  whooa Nelly

Was down in Buena Park at the end of Halloween Haunt and it got real warm, and coming home it was like raining ashes a few times.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#17]
the fires are getting bad in the san diego area..
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I am in the Mira Mesa neighborhood of San Diego.  I have been watching the fire on TV all morning.  It looks like the fire started late last night near Ramona, went toward Barona, jumped the 67, into Sycamore Canyon, and right toward Scripps Ranch.  

They have closed the 15 near MCAS Miramar, which is next in the path of the fire.

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm in El Cajon and getting pretty damned nervous right now.

Just heard a report on the 2 meter that there's report/rumor that one of the fires was started by hunter who got lost and used a flare.

It getting close to Montgomery Field.  That's going to be a fucking disaster if it reaches 100's of fueled aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Over here the 118 freeway is being used as a fire line.  If it jumps the 118, it enters Chatsworth and Porter Ranch.

I'm almost surrounded by fires, Simi to the North/West and Old/Waterman fire down south.  If you don't hear from me, I've been pushed into the ocean.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, guys its kind of a crazy coincidence that these fires are happening in SoCal all at the same time..  I dont know about you, but here in SD its freaky.  Especially because every police officer and fireman are out fighting this. Hope its just my paranoia.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#22]
All of us are within about an hour's drive from each other, why don't we plan a BBQ or campout after the smoke clears?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#23]
It looks a lot better in my neighborhood.  Good luck to you guys down in San Diego, around San Bernardino mountains, and elsewhere.  

A pot luck sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#24]
The west end of Simi Valley, towards Moorpark looks much better this morning.  On Saturday, the fire was raging towards Tierra Rejada Valley and Moorpark.  I was deeply concerned about it blowing into the canyons of Wildwood Park (in Thousand Oaks), and from there right into my area in the Lynn Ranch area of T.O.  I have canyons on one side and hillsides on the other, but it is looking much better today.

However, the east end of Simi Valley is getting hammered as I write this.  My best friend lives in that area, but he said he should be okay.  The fire is appears to be moving into the Santa Susana Pass, which will put it on track for Bell Canyon, the "infamous" Ahmanson Ranch area, Calabasas and then the ocean.  We'll have to see what the winds do today . . .

Best of luck everyone.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I am south-west of the Arrow Head fire and there's now a new one near Hemet.

It's 90 degrees outside now snowing outside ... the ashes are falling again. The sunlight is a yellow cast as it shines though the smoke.

We've canceled all outside physical training because the air is so dirty. My house smells like a grass fire.

By Thursday and Friday things should be better for the firefighters.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#27]
[ex-Gov. Davis]Dammit! If I can't have it, no one can!!! BURN IT ALL TO THE GROUND!!![/ex-Gov. Davis]

Good luck Paul! Prayers sent!

--LS
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]
A friend of a friend lost his house at Scripps Ranch last night. One of 150 or so lost. That sucks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#29]
About 1200 homes and over 100,000 acres burned so far. Looks like things are quieting down now that the weather is changing for the better.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
About 1200 homes and over 100,000 acres burned so far. Looks like things are quieting down now that the weather is changing for the better.

For some fires, but the fire jumped the 18 highway and has entered Crestline and may continue to Arrowhead.  Lots of dead trees from the bark beatle.  The change in winds will push the fire into Arrowhead.  Wait and see.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Are the fires anywehere near the San Diego stadium?  I have a friend who's going to law school and lives about 10 minutes away from the stadium, and I haven't been able to contact her...just worried a bit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Just looked at the simi fire that jumped the 118 at Topanga Cyn. at Rocky Peak.  It's rolling down the hills, out of control.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Bummer, my friends house got toasted to the ground on Saturday.  Didnt even know till I saw her on TV. Another bummer. A guy used to have a 3 story tall star that he would light up on Mt. Baldy every X-mas since 1958 plus after 9-11 he put red white, and blues lights on it. Star and his house got burned down.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I hope the insurance companies will take care of them, but they'll probably do a few then go bankdrupt, leaving the unfortunate policy holders holding the bag.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Kaos no the fire is not near the stadium it went from elcajon now towards julian and lake cuyamacha.

been flying air attack for ten years these are the BIGGEST fires I've seen in california.
go up again tomarrow and try to do our best if they would have only let us fly earlier...
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#36]
thanks for your hard work!  Be safe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I concur. Thank You and fly safely.

I have always been in awe of the way the firefighters work in/around fires. I know it's their job but I can't even stand still outside because the smoke that's lingering in the air makes me cough and my eyes burn. [>(]

Anyway, Cuyamaca is gone. I hope Julian doesn't get hit as hard tonight.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Anybody heard from Big_Bear ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Kaos no the fire is not near the stadium it went from elcajon now towards julian and lake cuyamacha.

been flying air attack for ten years these are the BIGGEST fires I've seen in california.
go up again tomarrow and try to do our best if they would have only let us fly earlier...

THANK YOU for the info; I APPRECIATE IT!
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I just heard that a former co-worker may have lost his home in Scripps Ranch.  He had a big house, wife, three kids and maybe one or two others living in a big house there.

I've been in bad air for three days but safe.  At home right now I have a sea breeze and some dew.  My stuff is all covered with super-fine dust that passes right through an ordinary vacuum cleaner filter.  Running the vacuum just fills the room with smoke.

I've only seen the western fringe of the burn, in MCAS Miramar.  For a few miles on I-15 most everything is burned as far as you can see both ways.  That's a tiny piece of what's burned.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#41]
The insurance coverage you have might not be worth what you're paying for it. There's a clause which allows them to not pay for 100% replacement damage though you're paying for it - they can drop as low as 25% per Bill Handel (KFI AM640) but typically they don't want to drop below 75-90%.

We really need the weather to change so that the firefighters can catch some rest for the next round that's coming.

Until we allow controlled burns and thinning of the forest there's going to be dues to bay. The bark beatle and the drout have just made things that much worse. It's going to be a long fall until the rains come.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top