Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Woohooo! This time I'm going.

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I've set aside the date.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Ms. Paul says that would be fun, especially for two days ... that's a lot of ammo!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I go to enjoy seeing and talking to everyone, the last trip I shot 50 to 60 rounds
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be there!

Last time was the only time I left the dirtbikes home, missed not having them. So, I'll bring a dirtbike or two or three. I guess I'll do more exploring the NE valley a little more.

Need a rapelling refresher from our last time out rapelling, before all the things I learned are gone forever. Not that I plan on rapelling there, but just to refresh making your own Swiss chair & tying all those different knotts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
i will try and make it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:07:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Need to go and try a couple new toys.

Has anyone heard from DesertRider lately???
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#8]
If I have any ammo left by then, I'll try and come out for the day Saturday.  Gonna make it to one of these yet!
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Hm, Desert Rider turned into a cactus at 12am a month ago, and his horses turned into geckos... where is he?
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:11:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Dez Rider popped up not too long ago, I`d imagine he`s doing OK.

Last I heard he had a life............LOL

Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Another no go for me. I've been home for 3 days now and I'll be in Florida from mid Oct to mid Nov.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#12]
This one is a good solid maybe.   Waiting on a background check for a new job.  My son and his buddies listened to the Aunt of one of them who lives in Yucca Valley, that it was "cooler" out there and went out to Joshua Tree for camping this weekend.  I guess 105 is "cooler" than 115.  At least I've got somebody function checking all my camping stuff for hot weather.  How close is the site to the RR tracks?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#13]
RR tracks?
You mean the ones that run thru Barstow and off towards Vegas?

Not very close

email me for details and map if you decide to go.

It`ll be 100%primitive camping.
Meaning there is flat desert and rocky desert and not much else in the way of civilazation.

Dirt road will be passable by 2wd sedan ( not a dropped ride)
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]
PaperTarget your IM is full
my email is
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#15]
SEEEEEEEE ya there! Probably.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I was thinkin more of the BNSF tracks which run from Barstow to Needles.

I usually shoot off of 40 almost to Ludlow.

Can't make it, got the job and am working Wednesdays through Sundays.  Got a 4x4 p/u so I can get just about anywhere and several 5 gal water jugs.  Can't have too much of that out that way.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
PaperTarget your IM is full
my email is
[email protected]

fixed.  Mail sent.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I am going to try for this one my wife has the pick though for a glamis trip either the week before or that same weekend.So hopefully she picks the earlier weekend.I havent shot since the last scary secret.Pretty sad but still busy with the drag boat deal
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Request sent.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am going to try for this one my wife has the pick though for a glamis trip either the week before or that same weekend.So hopefully she picks the earlier weekend.I havent shot since the last scary secret.Pretty sad but still busy with the drag boat deal

One expensive hobby at a time,is what I learned/ing.

When the Rib starts to complain aboot the money firearms cost..............I remind her that I could always go back to racing......
She gets real serious and starts to shake her head and muters....nonononono.
1K for a rifle is better than 2.5K for a new rear end from Currie Bros............and she can at least SEE the rifle.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#21]
haha, it's a good thing she didn't bring up doing neither or picking up a cheaper hobby as a choice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#22]
rick the good thing for me is that this race boat belongs to my boss and he funds the whole thing 100%.I get my thrill driving it and he has been letting me keep the money i win so far 3 races.
If i had to pay for this i wouldnt be doing it this is very expensive and the pay out is sadly low.
The shooting part is cheap compared to most hobbies i have though unless i decide to buy more guns.I pretty much have enough reloading stuff to make ammo for a while at the moment(from lack of shooting)And camping in the desert is free for know.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Buy more weapons
Put optics of high quality on em
Put good ammo in em
Find a place to shoot em
Buy more weaspons...............

you`ll see:)
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Not as expensive as my coke habbit...a six pack of diet coke here, a box of cherry coke there, sooner we'll talking real money
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like my wife opted for the early glamis trip.So it looks highly likely that i will make it out.Since it will be my 6 th weekend away from home on the weekends(4 with the family 2 solo)I might only be limited to a day trip but trying for the overnighter.Headed out sat morning.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:26:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Can't make it out to this one, have to be out of town on bidness. Work has been monopolizing my time for the past eight months and it just so happens that 10/31-11/02 weekend is my last event this season.

I was there last weekend, though. Took the wife and son to Calico days on Sat. then camped in the hills that night. Woke up Sun. morning and sent about 500 rds. downrange before leaving the canyon.

Went to the dry lake that's on the left side of the paved road before you turn to head into the hills and that's when everything went wrong. To make a long story short, that's where Tony and Anita collided while racing. Anita's all banged up and tore all the cartiledge connecting her left ribs to her sternum and Tony broke his femur and had to be transported to Riverside to have surgery and a plate and screws installed to fix his leg. I just brought him home from the hospital yesterday.

Tony and I are both lookin' forward to the next SECRET though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Des,
So sorry to hear about the family, hope they heal quickly. it just doesnt seem right having a S.E.C.R.E.T with out you and Tony but we will try and manage. When you can email me your address so i can send you your handgun cetificate from ITTS.
Paul
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry to hear that des, hope everyone speedily recovers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Man, sorry to hear about that DR; those are some pretty painful injuries. Sounds like one of those "just one more ride" kind of things that seem to bite everyone at least once.

I'll also be out of town so this'll be the first SECRET I've missed in a while. (Shot steel yesterday just to get my fix and had a great time after using the first two stages to shake the cobwebs out.) I'm hoping to see some great scenery since the ISDE (six-day-long dirt bike race) is being held in Brazil for the first time--and the main pit is in a beach city!
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#30]

snip... ISDE (six-day-long dirt bike race) is being held in Brazil for the first time--and the main pit is in a beach city!

you best be getting photos of brazilian beach babes.. them brazilian wimin are friggin HOT.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the concern, it's appreciated. They're both loungin' around the house and recuperating. Fortunately, they're both looking forward to going riding again for New Years.

Paul, thanks for the heads up on the certificate, I'll forward you my addy and set you up with a tall, cold one for the postage next time I see you.

Kato, I actually had second thoughts about letting Tony and Anita ride that afternoon. They were out riding by themselves and I hadn't seen them for about thirty minutes when I decided to go looking for them. We still don't know how long they had been down when I found them about a mile from camp.  Have fun while you're at the ISDE.  I had the opportunity to sit and have lunch with Dick Miller at the Del Mar Mile earlier this month and he told me the story about the time he broke his leg in Baja and had to be airlifted. Definitely a cool guy to bench race with.

I'm gettin' ancy to finish my rifle, but I'm having trouble finding a one piece rail for my scope. Badger makes a nice one, but their website only lists it for the Remy and Win. Keep in mind I've got a 10FP. I've heard that Farrel and Warne both make nice rails for the Savage, but I haven't decided yet. I guess I'm in no hurry, I've had the rifle since April and the scope since August, maybe I'll have the rail, rings, and bipod by '05.

I'm looking forward to the next SECRET to try it out, though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Let's see, what's for din din....MRE takes up a lot of space, I think it'll be couple of cans of Chef Boyardee
Who's all gonna be there on Friday?  I think curious george and I will be there around 2 or 3pm. Last time we got stuck on I-15 for hours, I'm not in a hurry to do that again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#33]
if i have work off that weekend.. i have 2 holloween partys on friday night.. so i might come out friday late late, or saturday early.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Freeride don't come dressed as Sadam, or drive to the camp ground at night with your headlights turned off *cough* *redhorse*
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey, I was just testing your guys security around the AO.

I did wake you guys up, too bad my truck exhaust is too loud and gave me away. Didn't want to hit my brakes (brake lights) on the downhill grade... so I down shifted into low gear and let the engine compression slow me down.

Was funny watching a few of you guys react, but most just sat in the chairs around the campfire.

I hope to be out there Friday mid afternoon. Hopefully it cools down by then. This week of 100 degree + weather is getting old.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#36]
lol redhorse that was funny, I guess you'd be nuts enough to use an NVG to drive around when you didn't have to, what with the limited peripheral vision and no depth perception.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't think I can make it.

Isn't the 15 closed because of the fire?

Is there a "work around" for LA?

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#38]
It ain't this weekend, it's next weekend. Not sure I will show up if nimrods like this will be there!
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It ain't this weekend, it's next weekend. Not sure I will show up if nimrods like this will be there!

reminds of this one guy who was experimenting on bullets buy lighting a fire under them at one of our S.E.C.R.E.T.s

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#40]
haha I forgot about that, the camp fire pit cleared out in a hurry, and it wasn't because of the exploding rocks
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I did wake you guys up, too bad my truck exhaust is too loud and gave me away. Didn't want to hit my brakes (brake lights) on the downhill grade... so I down shifted into low gear and let the engine compression slow me down.

Parking brake doesn`t trigger the brake lights.

DR -Dern dude, I`m too old for........well I can`t afford the down time of breaking the body no mo.
RKM busted his self trying to act like Evil Kinevil
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm at 95% sure I'll be there as long as the 15 is open next week.

Went camping last week near Barstow and it was damn hot - we hid out in the shade of some major rocks though the heat of the day and it wasn't too bad - as long as you didn't do something foolish like move.

Come evening things were much better after it cooled off enough. Might do some twilight and after dark shooting. I'll see if I can find my Night Vision Riflescope for some fun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
DR -Dern dude, I`m too old for........well I can`t afford the down time of breaking the body no mo.

Amen to that! Can barely afford insurance as it is.

RKM busted his self trying to act like Evil Kinevil

RK-Knevel? What, he gets a nice Yamaha and decided he now wants to bust a backflip or a Mulisha Twist or something? Ouch! Well, you also get better soon RKM!
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Hope you can make it Paul.  I leaving my heavy ass AN/PVS4 behind, it was more fun watching and comparing the muzzle flash from different weapons at night
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I know for sure i aint going to make it we passed our glamis trip for this weekend 25-26 didnt feel like being n 100 plus heat so we are going to go next weekend instead which is the same as the secret trip.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Too bad, we haven`t seen you in a while

haven`t seen Sluggo either

Aint the same without SluggoLBC, yoyoyo

Most likely be a bit warm

Fires should be under control
Santa Ana`s are supposed to die Tues.
4 days to get  50% control

Should have the 15 open

I know some truckers that`d be pissed if not.

Good optics, chem lights, tannerite, night time is cooler to shoot.

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Went to the dry lake that's on the left side of the paved road before you turn to head into the hills and that's when everything went wrong. To make a long story short, that's where Tony and Anita collided while racing. Anita's all banged up and tore all the cartiledge connecting her left ribs to her sternum and Tony broke his femur and had to be transported to Riverside to have surgery and a plate and screws installed to fix his leg. I just brought him home from the hospital yesterday.

Tony and I are both lookin' forward to the next SECRET though.

Rib and kids were unhappy to hear of the news.

Even Satchmo looked sad

Dylan was asking if Tony was coming earlier.

Hope they are doing well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Supposed to be 20 degrees cooler this coming weekend.

Wednesday is supposed to be a start of a cool front and the jet stream is changing.

Jet stream will be coming form up north (alaska & Canada) all the way down the California coastline and then head east around the SOCAL area. Should bring some cool air.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I hope the fires are put out soon, this couldn't have happened at at worse time to a broke state.
On another note, all the highways leading to the SECRET site are open right?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like the weather is gonna cooperate with you guys for SECRET. Should be nice and cool and hopefully the pass will be open.

I'll be stuck in beautiful Bakersfield Fri. through Sun. No choice in the matter, my schedule has been set since early summer. Fortunately the weekends will be mine now until March or April.

Thanks Rick, Tony and Anita are both doing great and we're looking forward to a desert riding trip for New Years. Tony was looking forward to this SECRET even more than I was.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top