Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 1:18:31 AM EDT
Hey guys.  I'm going to be moving down to SD in the next few weeks, and was wondering if anyone here is there as well.  Do any of you know about the range in El Cajon?  Any good?  I don't know any gun people down there, would be interested in finding some shooting partmers.  I'm a trap shooter who just had some back surgery, so I can't do that for a while.  Right now..rifles are the only thing that I can handle...so I'm a brand newbie at it!  Anyway, thanks in advance!

Tiff
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#1]
there is a range in dulzura called south bay rod and gun club, out to 300yards.

It is 18 miles south of el cajon on the 94.

also check here click me

Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Not the 94 OOOHHH NNOOOOO.  Do they still sell the "Pray for me I drive the 94" t-shirts?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
your thinking of the 74.. ortega highway.

i still see "I survived ortega highway" bumper stickers every now and then.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh No the 94 is what I am talking about.  Its one of the primary roads east from San Diego that got replaced by I-8.  Is pretty treacherous in areas.

That's not to say that the Ortega Highway isn't pretty nasty, because it is.  there's a reason Car&Driver used to use it on their test runs, they might still use it if they don't mind scraping idiot bikers off the windshield.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#5]
oh, didnt know that.. the 94 from the 8 to dulzura was pretty nice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey tjmz, I live in San Diego and would be happy to meet you and show you what I know.  My last few local outings have been east of Jacumba.  Right now my budget prohibits much in the way of ammo consumption but I can introduce you to a few people, gun stores, etc.

94 past Spring Valley is a mountain highway.  It's curvy but very scenic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Project 2000=Indoor 100, 50, 25 yard range. Membership is like $50 bucks and 7 dollars an hour afterwards.  also has a skeet range.  Location 2082 willow glen Drive in EL Cajon, its at the same location as the rock quarry. about 25 minutes outside downtown SD.  619-442-9971 Sells ammo/ no gun rentals.

Southbay Rod and Gun.  Out door range I think they have ranges out to 300 yards, pistola and shotguns.  $50 bucks, no fee after wards. Go on Rural 94 east until you get to Delzura Cafe and make a Right.  Awsome ride if you are a motorcycle guy. 619-468-3070. Bring all your own ammo, they dont have a shop out there.

American Shooting Center in Clairmont Mesa Indoor range 25 yards.  ALL Calibers up to .308.
$12 as long as you want. 5590 Ruffin RD. 858-279-7233. Sells ammo/Rents rifles/pistolas

Discount GunMart close to old town on Morena. Indoor range Pistol ammo only 15yds.  $7 Bucks an hour. very close to downtown  near 5 and 8 freeways. Sells Ammo/Rents pistols.1510 Morena Blvd San Diego, CA 92110-3732 Phone:  (619) 276-8730

Iron Sights Shooting Range. Indoor Range 25 yards.  I think that they allow rifles also, not too sure.  They have one of the most extentsive collection of pistols for rent. SO if you are in the market for a pistol and want to test it out, this is the place. 618 Airport Rd Oceanside, CA 92054-1243 Phone:  (760) 721-4388 $7 bucks.  

Or you can go to the desert and have fun.

I heard of guys going to Ramona on BLM land and shooting but dont know the exact location.

Did I miss any?
  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Iron Sights Shooting Range. Indoor Range 25 yards.  I think that they allow rifles also, not too sure.  They have one of the most extentsive collection of pistols for rent. SO if you are in the market for a pistol and want to test it out, this is the place. 618 Airport Rd Oceanside, CA 92054-1243 Phone:  (760) 721-4388 $7 bucks.  

Ironsights (Formerly OSA) does allow rifles. I go there about once a week. nice place. Just test fired a new upper, and zeroed a Bushnell Holosight there this afternoon.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The place near Ramona is called Orosco Ridge.  It is basically a rough dirt road with several shooting sites.  I go out there once or twice a month.  A pickup truck is recommended, but I have seen minivans and small cars out there.

Near Miramar MCAS is a place to shoot trap and Skeet.  I forget the name of it.  Something like 'Miramar skeet and trap club' or something like that.

I also go to the American Shooting Center on Ruffin Rd in Kearny Mesa. www.gotammo.com

Turners on clairmont Mesa is a good place to buy guns and ammo.

I go to the Del Mar gun shows and buy ammo by the case.  Much cheaper that way.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Near Miramar MCAS is a place to shoot trap and Skeet.  I forget the name of it.  Something like 'Miramar skeet and trap club' or something like that.

I think the Miramar trap and skeet range may be defunct.  It's no longer listed in the business section of the white pages.  Does anyone else know?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow guys.  Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Miramar Trap and Skeet is up and running.

I drove by it yesterday.

It is near the 163 and Kearny Villa Rd, on Harris Plant Rd, south of the east gate to MCAS Miramar.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top