Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 7:10:49 AM EDT
As of a week and a half ago, it is the official policy of the CA BLM to ALLOW the possession and use of ‘assault weapons’ on BLM lands in the state, as long as the weapons are registered. There has been alot of confusion and disagreement about this issue over the last few years, but now it's official. The new policy isn’t on any of the websites yet, but rest assured it is fact.

The State Director, Mike Pool, had a large part in getting the old policy reversed, so don’t hesitate to thank him if you shoot on BLM land. Apparently this was a big move for him, and rumor has it that he made the decision despite opposition from turds like Bill Lockyer et al. The address to the State office is:

Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W-1834
Sacramento, CA 95825-1886

Phone number is: (916) 978-4600

So anyway, it’s official ... AR’s on public lands finally!!! All of the Rangers in the state should be aware of the new policy. You’ll be fine as long as your weapon is REGISTERED!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You heard this where?  I'm going to write a letter to confirm.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Per the BLM Law Enforcement branch IM CA.2003-049 dated July 15th "assault weapons" are now permitted. Local restrictions can modify this permission.

The southern California district (Desert) BLM office is on my way home. I'm going to stop by and find out what the local policy is. There number is (909) 697-5200 if anyone can get ahold of them for comment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Talked with State Staff Ranger R. Smith (out of Sacramento) yesterday. He made no mention of local restrictions though. Where did you find that info, Paul?

Edited: Didn't they move the Desert District office to MoVal? If so it's my home town ... will pay them a visit myself.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know if BLM LE have access to the Cal data base for checking AW registration like all other California LE?

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Talked with State Staff Ranger R. Smith (out of Sacramento) yesterday. He made no mention of local restrictions though. Where did you find that info, Paul?

Edited: Didn't they move the Desert District office to MoVal? If so it's my home town ... will pay them a visit myself.

I called Sacramento and got forwarded to the BLM Law Enforcement office. The nice lady there gave me the number of the Information Memorandum and the number to my local office which controls San Berdoo, Orange, Riverside, and San Diego Counties if my memory serves me.

I'm at March ARB so I'll swing by the office which I think is near the city hall on Caya San Juan Delosgoes street.

SWEET MOTHER OF ASSAULT RIFLES I'M SHOOTING THIS WEEKEND!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Good God I wet my pants when I got the call yesterday. I have been writing letters and making phone calls for 3 1/2 years. Someone in Sacramento told me about 4 months ago that it would never happen because there was more important things going across the State Director's desk. I had given up.

Hopefully Riverside County desert is good to go...
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Update - I just came from the Moreno Valley District office where Bobbi got me in touch with Ranger Brian. No local restrictions around the Victorville area - only the country no rifle restriction but the BLM rangers overlook that regulation if everything else is nice and legal.

I have to get a hold of Palm Springs District still.

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got off the phone with John Blachley, chief LE Ranger for the Palm Springs/South Coast field office. THUMBS UP FOR RIVERSIDE COUNTY!!!!!! He reiterated that Mike Pool was the driving force behind the policy change. Call him and thank him.

He did comment about a couple of sites in Riverside County which target shooters are trashing. You know to do the right thing and clean all your crap up when done. Let's not lose this privilege!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Dittos on the info I've received. Here are the current state and local country ordinances.

State:

Firearms must not be discharged within 150 yards of residences, buildigns, campsites, occupied areas, recreational areas or domestic livestock.

No shooting from a vechicle.

It is unlawful to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

Riverside
No shooting within 300 yards of roads, campgrounds or occupied dwellings.

No shooting 1/2 hour after sunset or before sunrise.

San Bernardio
County has designated some areas for shotgun use only; other areas are closed to shooting except for legal hunting.

Kern and Inyo
Same as Riverside

San Diego
Open to shooting on BLM managed lands.

Possession or dischard of steel core armor piercing ammo is illegal.

No shooting in unincorprorated areas.

Orange and LA
Closed to all shooting on public BLM lands.

Looks like I'm off to San Deigo!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just got off the phone with John Blachley, chief LE Ranger for the Palm Springs/South Coast field office. THUMBS UP FOR RIVERSIDE COUNTY!!!!!! He reiterated that Mike Pool was the driving force behind the policy change. Call him and thank him.

He did comment about a couple of sites in Riverside County which target shooters are trashing. You know to do the right thing and clean all your crap up when done. Let's not lose this privilege!!!

Do you have a number for Mr. Pool?

I'm going to call and find out which areas of Riverside are getting trashed. Any interest in an AR15.com "firemission" to clean up some area come fall when the temps are down?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Tom Pool's number is (916) 978-4600. He's the guy who got the policy changed in our favor.

John Blachley is the chief ranger for the Palm Springs district. He can tell you the areas that are getting trashed in Riverside County. His number is (760) 251-4861. He mentioned them to me but I'm not familiar with them. Something like Auguana Canyon and Berdo Reservation...
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Great - The Barstow BLM Rec Shooting site used to defintiely say OK, then the last time I checked it was a little ambiguous bu didn't say NO.  Said to check with Sheriff.

SBDO Sheriffs don't know squat about the rules said BLM didn't allow any shooting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Hadnt expected this to happen! Great news!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
From Palm Springs

I have been requested to respond to your question regarding use of firearms on the public lands.  You are correct in your statement that the Bureau of Land management now allows those assault weapons that are registered with the California Department of Justice as assault weapons, may not be possessed on the public lands.

The only local restrictions are in reference to the use of steel core ammunition.  That is not allowed due to fire hazzards.  Also please note if there are any structures or cattle in the patch of where you are shooting.

Please call me at 760-251-4861 if you have any further questions.

John Blachley

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you maybe get an extra "not" in the above?  Shouldn't it read "may be possessed on public lands."
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I cut and pasted the e-mail but because the guy states that I am correct - that legally owned assault weapons may now be used on public BLM land.

My phone calls to Sacrament and Palm Springs and my visit to Moreno Valley Desert HQ have all come back positive that legally registered weapons are now permitted.

I plan on always bringing my Assault Weapons Permit with me. I have a copy in the glove box of my truck. I've run across BLM rangers on four or five occassions while shooting on BLM lands and have never had issue one with the way they treated me or acted.

The ranger in San Berdoo county said that although the country had a prohibition against shooting rifles as long as I was doing it safely - with a good backstop - and wasn't shooting glass or other mess that he wouldn't have a problem. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool!! I live in san dimas so the nearest BLM land That i can shoot my Fab-10 Ar and M1A's is San bernardino?Correct?

Anyone know a good place to shoot?Never been in the desert to shoot ? Is it safe by my self?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#20]
210/30 to 15 north past Victorville.  Northwest of  15  and pretty much anywhere not posted north of 40 once you get past Barstow.  Check the Barstow BLM office site for Shotgun only area around Barstow.  More or less anything south/east of 14 south of Barstow.  SBDO County used to have a map but nobody seems to have it anymore.  BLM used to have one to.

that said, make sure you are off private or military land which should be but may not be posted, I don't know about Ft. Irwin but 29 Palms is not well posted in some areas.

I usually go out towards Pisgah Crater and Lavic Dry Lake between the 29 Palms base and the BNSF RR.  There are some areas south of 40 that are north of the base and east of the shotgun area that also have some neat rock collecting if you take somebody that isn't a shooter.

the major challenge is staying out of OHV areas and shooting where you can see OHVs coming into your hot area.

I personally wouldn't go out to the desert alone.  Not so much from a 2 legged critter danger in the outlands, but it's a pretty unforgiving environment if something goes wrong with your vehicle, you get hurt, or ???.  generally if your far enough off one of the paved or dirt roads to shoot you won't see anybody else.  However I have seen folks walking along the RR that I would bet would steal anything they could get their hands on.  

Now you get on the edge of the "residential" areas, you have a real high probability of running into unsociable folks.  They moved out there to be away from people and shooting on or near their land may get an unfavorable reaction.  And those aren't the druggies, over toward Newberry Springs there are a fair number of biker meth labs.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#21]
PaDanby gives good council. I've been way out from paved roads and homes - eight miles or so - and have some homeless looking desert rat come up on me. I had an AR in hand and he asked if it was an M-16. He sort of hung around for awhile - I was afraid to feed him or give him water for fear of having him follow me home.

Down at the Kitchen Creek area 60 miles east of San Diego two guys got shot and killed by a van full of gang bangers. The two guys were the last ones at Kitchen Creek shooting past sunset. The gang bangers came up, robbed them of their weapons and then shot both of them dead. This would have been about 12-15 years ago when I was still stationed in San Diego.

My shooting partner and I made a pack that we would go down in a blaze of glory if set upon.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#22]
The Eastern Riverside County desert is not always a safe place. It gives new definition to the term 'middle of nowhere'. You're very, very far away from homes, dwellings, and towns, but because it's so remote men of low character like to use it for unlawful purposes. Drug smugglers, illegal alien smugglers, and meth cookers are some of the more dangerous people. I'm serious; it's a problem out there.

If you go there, wear a pistol at all times and be alert (especially at night!). Don't let a stranger get too close to you. For some reason, desert weirdos don't know the meaning of 'personal space'. I've had too many weird encounters out there. And Paul's right ... if anybody decides to prey on me or my pals while we're out there, they'll make a movie about the outcome!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you guys for the heads up.Ill make sure to bring my father along with his firearms to be extra safe.Now i gotta convinve my friends to buy rifles so they can go with me Ill most likely go early in the morning dont wanna stay there during sunset.

with all that talk about what i may encounter in the desert makes me wanna get a 50 cal Mg mounted on top of my truck or something that can takem em out quick heh

Has anyone have any experiences with weirdos in the desert that made u think "hey this might get Ugly"?So if anything does happen to me like that out there i would know on how to react.

Thnx
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I had one experience that was teetering on the brink of being ugly, but I was about 400 yards away from my truck (someone was interested in stealing it). Two shots into the air from the AR solved that problem.

Another time a situation involving 3 weirdos in a small remote canyon looked like it might get ugly. It looked like something you'd see on America's Most Wanted. I was in my truck with a friend and they were all on foot. To be brutally honest I had a handgun pointed at Subject A's stomach as he talked to me at the driver's side window. He never knew it so he didn't get his feelings hurt.  

Yet a third time involved two strangers who dismounted their sandrail and just got tooooo darn close to me while trying to make small talk. I kept backing up but finally decided it would be best to just leave for another area. I was wearing a pistol but Subject A didn't seem to care. He had a really strange look in his eye.

If your gut instinct tells you something is not right about a situation, something's probably not right. It's not worth taking a chance when you're 30 miles from civilization, especially if you're with a loved one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I plan on always bringing my Assault Weapons Permit with me.

Sorry - don't mean to hijack the thread & this might sound rediculous, but I don't have an actual permit for my AR. I registered with the DOJ before the ban and have confirmed this a couple of times, but I never received an actual "permit" per-se. Is this something I can call the DOJ and get or should I start worrying now...

thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Well fresh back from exercising my Second Amendment rights in San Diego County BLM lands - YIPPIE!

Brought out the Oly/Bushmaster M-4 clone, the Armalite/Bushmaster Designated riflemen's ultralight, and the DSA FAL for a shake down.

Damn feels good to shoot the FAL with the 20 round magazines and pistol grip. The AMT "Professional" scope dialed in pretty fast. I wanted to feel a 4x scope on the FAL prior to buying the IOR M2. Checks in the mail

Real fun with the AR's hitting what you're pointing at. The new 20" ultra-light Bushmaster barrel upper worked well fresh out of the box. The Jewell trigger works out really well - a bit too light at times.

About seven of us were out there braving the 100 degree weather and light breezes. Hot lead on hot steel plates. A good time was had by all!
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Well Heywood, it's not so much a permit as a copy of the registration letter from the AG.

If you have one of those you needn't worry when you take a nasty AR out to shoot.  The tinfoil boys will tell you, you need to worry because Davis and Lockyer know you have it and who knows what they might to.

If you have unregistered Assault Weapons (see http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regagunfaqs.htm#5 for the bad news)  Yeah it's a little late to worry.  Now if you keep it where the Law doesn't ever run across it for any reason than you may be safe.  If it's at your house and for any reason your house gets searched, it's just another felony or two between friends.

That said, it's estimated that 70-80% of the AWs didn't get registered.  You pays yer money and takes yer chances.  I haven't heard of anybody that was targeted strictly because of alledgedly having AWs.  You got an Ex-business partner, ex-friend or acquaintance, ex-wife or ex-girlfriend or soon to become any of the above that might rat you out?  You ever shot your mouth off at work or a bar and threatened anybody?    With the exception of genuine criminals arrested for real crimes and being found with a few more guns, the guy getting caught is the guy that pisses somebody off and gets a dime dropped.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#28]
PaDanby -

Thanks for the info.  I'm 99.9% sure that the weapon is registered per California DOJ regulations, but at the time there had been some asininie problem with my check and that held up the waterworks.  If things don't go through without a hitch the first time - you're in for a lot of beurocratic nonsense and red tape.  I knew I should've greased that check.

That having been said - I spoke a number of times to the DOJ which assured me that the weapon was registered in a timely fashion and that I had nothing to worry about.  I think just because of the fact that there was some kind of initial hold-up, that the paperwork never got sent out...

Thanks for help - I'm calling them today to see if I can set things straight...

WML
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#29]
ooh ouch the horns of a dilemna

You should have received a letter acknowledging the receipt of the paperwork and a letter documenting the registration.  If you didn't I guess you could contact them about another copy.  I would hate however to get a letter back to the effect that no records are held, please proceed to the slammer.

IIRC at the final deadline the system got horrificly jammed up so a receipt acknowledgement came out and then when the registration was finished another letter came out.  A copy or either should suffice.

I submitted in Mid-December and I didn't get the registration notice until April although it was dated in late March.  If anybody cares the registration number is in the high 120Ks.  The original is in the safe deposit box.  copies are in the safe, the rifle case and on file in the house files and a copy on the computer.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#30]
-Spoke to DOJ today:

The AW is registered correctly, but for some reason a letter never got sent.  Now I have to send a notarized request for a copy along with all pertinent info, a copy of Drivers License, blood sample and first born child - as well as an arm and a leg...

But at least I'll have that hard copy

Thanks again for your help

now I can say it:

~~~~~~WHEW~~~~~~~~

/wiping sweat off brow
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#32]
This is going to get expensive! plinking with AR's for some reason cost alot more than plining with M1A's. I guess it cause I'm always trying a new optic, mount, Brl, upper, flashlight, sights, ect.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#33]
GODAMN AWSOME!

I cannot wait to take out the AR10 and get to hunt yotes with my AR15.

Jack rabbit stew!

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#34]
After reading the post on this thread.

I would like to extend a hardy welcome to ALL whom posted here to move to Arizona and feel REAL FREEDOM.

For those that stay in CA, I am glad you get to shoot your "Registered" ARs.

After living in Arizona even my Texas feels too restrictive when I visit.

Hell,open carry/no permits, CCWs, and no AW restrictions.

Come on over to Arizona.

Courtesy of the Arizona tourism authority.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Or you can stay here and fight the good fight as long as possible.  Don't need to lose voters.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Or you can stay here and fight the good fight as long as possible.  Don't need to lose voters.

I write this as I sit in my condo in LA so I guess for tonight I am a Californian.........

I have been watching this thread for the last week and it has bothered me to see good law abiding guys like yourselves express such glee at "gaining" a right that should never have been taken away in the first place.  Who the HELL decided that FEDERAL land was "off limits" to AW's?  What California democrat hack put pressure on the BLM to do this in the first place?  It's all such bullshit I can't even grasp it anymore.
PaDanby, The good fight???  If this were the case, I would not have spent (and continue to spend) the money to maintain 2 residences.  I don't mean to flame anyone but you guys sound like those Jap soldiers living in the hills of Guam in 1975.  The war in California is OVER............ they won!  Come down out of your caves.  A warm meal awaits you. (in AZ or NV or UT or, or, or.....)

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#37]
When the ‘assault weapon’ ban was written, the obvious goal of the Dems was to get rid of our favorite weapons altogether. Thankfully,  however, a provision was written into the law that gave shooters the ability to use their weapons as long as they had permission from the individual/agency that owns/administers the land on which the shooter wanted to utilize. The reason why the CA BLM had for years refused to give permission was indeed a very political thing. It was most likely do to pressure by the jerks who wrote the law and the fact that the former State Director of the BLM was a liberal.

It’s interesting to note that National Forest lands in CA have always been open to the use of ‘assault weapons’.

Long story short ... the current State Director of the CA BLM is a gun owner.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Good Deal! Great news!

Sitting in an internet cafe in Panama City, Panama killing time and lo and behold some good news.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#39]
BLM maps are available on there website for the area you are interested in shooting at.

i suggest that EVERYONE get this authorization DIRECT FROM THE BLM IN WRITING, then make copies and keep it with you while on that land.
even though all agents, allegedly, were informed abou this it doesnt mean much, and each agent can interpet it there own way.
a copy could save some headaches.

i wouldnt call this a victory or anything, its more of a CLARIFICATION, the BLM has gone back and forth for a few years now on how to interpret the law. some offices have said OK and some said NO to AWs.

the difference between japenese soliders and kali gun owners is that for the japenese the war ended and no one told them, here in kali the WAR RAGES ON.
when every gun owner stops fighting and moves to across statelines ...THEN THE WAR WILL BE OVER.
and God help the rest of the country when that happens.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
the difference between japenese soliders and kali gun owners is that for the japenese the war ended and no one told them.

Consider yourself notified................

THE WAR IS OVER!  LAY DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP!!

Hey! Steve wouldn't lie!

Quoted:
here in kali the WAR RAGES ON.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top