Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2003 1:58:07 PM EDT
This is the night carbine class I have attended for the past two years.  it is a little above basic carbine class with half of the one day class time taught at night. I will be attending to get more low light shooting time so if any of you SoCal brothers are free on August 24th I would love to meet some of you guys.

The class is taught by Bill Murphy, he is the owner of the Firear trainning associates, and he is also a adjunct instructor for Gunsite, and a low light certified Surefire institute instructor list on the surefire web page.  He is active Huntington Beach PD SWAT member and have been in LE field for over twenty five years.  

The class fee is $125.00 for the day and if you pay in full ten days prior to the class, there will be a 10% discount. I believe the class start around 4PM and will last until 12 mid night or sometimes into one in the morning, so if you are interested, call FTA at 714 777 9316 or go to their web page at www.ftatv.com

First year i attend he brought out an M16 and he let each student ran a magazine through it, and last year, he took out his MP5SD and let the student that can come up with some 9mm shoot it, I am not saying he will do the same this year, but it is just a extra bonus if he does bring a toy or two.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, I remember reading about this last year and lamenting I couldn't go for some reason. Isn't there a prerequisite for the course, like Carbine 101 or something?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]
no pre requisite at all, just bring yourself, a carbine, pistol, holster, belt, magazine carrier and safety gear. 400 rounds of carbine ammo and about a hundred round of pistol ammo.

Kato, are you planning to come to the class?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#3]
SMGLee,

I took the class with you last year, one of the 3 webshooters.  Why's the class on a sunday night?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I wanna go but the only carbine type guns I have are .22
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#5]
lol you're kidding right? If I go you can borrow one of mine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm only 15, but I would want to go. Am I too young? If I can go, I don't have any carbines. Am I screwed?
Edited to say: and I wouldn't have the money for the ammo, i'm screwed, huh? Ah well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
What range is hosting the class? What day of the week is the 24th.

Bill Murphy was an assistant instructor for my Gunsight EW1 class. he's a good guy, he "modeled" for a recent Surefire catalog too, so there may be some bias in his tac-light recommendations <G>
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
lol you're kidding right? If I go you can borrow one of mine.

Nah really , Thanks Alot for offering to let me borrow one! I'll sure go if you head out
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I just notice the day, it is on a freaking Sunday.  I will have to find out and get back to you guys.

The class is held at Mike Rohagee range.  the link below is the direction.

I will have a spare carbine there in case anyone might need it.  

www.ftatv.com/facility.php
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi Chen,

I got your IM about FTA and checked out their website a few days ago.   They are also having the regular carbine (day) class this weekend I think.  Unfortunately my hectic work schedule prohibits this, and I have no idea what my monthly schedule is until about 4 days before a new month starts.  

I did notice, that they offer off-scheduling classes of your choice for groups of 7 or more.  Don't know how much more this would cost, but perhaps some of use SoCalians might want to arrange a special day?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd swing it if it was on a Friday or Saturday night, but not on a Sunday night...we have to work for pete's sake.  Let's see, finish at 1am, drive home and get home at 3:30, sleep for 3 hours in preparation for the worst day of the week?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm off Sun and Mon so this might work out for me. Does this class usually fill up? According to their website, it looks like you could pay a $50 deposit to reserve a spot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Big Bear,

The sad thing in California is the carbine class usually don't have a good turn out, so if you decided last minute to attend the class, they can always squeeze you in.  but registering earlier will save you some money.

Kisara,

Bill will do private classes, matter of fact, i have done several classes with him along with one friend.  you might want to find out more info with him.

Sunday is a knockle dragger, I will do the class but most likely will have a low turn out since Sunday is just a crapy day to do a late night class.  hope to see some of you guys there.  if not, i will catch up with you on line.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Roll call who all is going? im leaning towards going. i had a great time last year at this class especially with Bills suppressed MP5!just remember to bring the bug juice i remember the skeeters were out in force last time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I will attend along with Kato4moto.  it mnight be a small class so the round count will be high.  and who knows, it might be a AR15.com class.  that would be really fun.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#16]
What carbines will you folks be using?

I'm moving to CA next summer or fall, so just curious.  I know my Bushmaster can't enter the state...
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What carbines will you folks be using?

I'm moving to CA next summer or fall, so just curious.  I know my Bushmaster can't enter the state...

last year there were mostly AR's a few mini's and a ruger PC9. Ill be using my M4gery.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Lead,

I haven't done any research yet...

I know the law says I can't bring one (AR type rifle) into the state.

But could I purchase one that is already in the state for personal use??

Edit:  This appears to be a semi hijack.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Backstop you can't buy ARs here unless you're buying it through your LE agency for LE work. The stupid law says assault weapons can't even be passed down or willed in inheritence. If you're active military, you should ask Paul how to get papers so you can bring your toys in, he's done it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Now my neighbor is making noises about going as well. FWIW, when I called FTA with some questions, I was informed that I needed to take a two-hour class with Bill beforehand since I've never taken a class previously. They just need to get me up to speed and ascertain that I'm at the minimum skill level, which I can perfectly understand.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Now my neighbor is making noises about going as well. FWIW, when I called FTA with some questions, I was informed that I needed to take a two-hour class with Bill beforehand since I've never taken a class previously. They just need to get me up to speed and ascertain that I'm at the minimum skill level, which I can perfectly understand.

Kato didnt you take a couple of classes from ITTS with us? if so that should be enough to get you in. if not does this mean you wont be taking the class or will you be able to take the 2hr class prior to this class?
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Well he didn't think that my having watched Saving Private Ryan a few times qualifies
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks Duffy,

I'm retired military- maybe that'll help.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Backstop, these laws piss me off.  Folks like you served our country, you were entrusted to carry and use all the of modern weapons the military possessed but the moment you are discharged, you instantly become untrustworthy, apparently you were good enough to die for us, but not good enough to have certain kinds of weapons when you re-enter the socity and serve the society instead of country in uniform.
But no, I don't believe veterans get to bring them in
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks, Duffy.  I appreciate that.

My girlfriend (who lives in CA) gave me a number to a friend of hers who owns a gunshop.  I gotta contact him for some more details.
GF is also involved with the Liberty Belles, and I think another pro 2nd Amm group.  At least you folks are trying to change things.

[sarcasm mode]Guess my Texas CHL isn't any good there, eh?[/sarcasm mode]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Kato didnt you take a couple of classes from ITTS with us? if so that should be enough to get you in. if not does this mean you wont be taking the class or will you be able to take the 2hr class prior to this class?

Haven't taken the opportunity to get in an ITTS class of any kind yet, though I'm sure I will at some point in the future. I am on the class list for the weekend; Bill simply wanted me (and the neighbor) to show up two hours ahead of time for skill confirmation. Looking forward to the class; should be a lot of fun as well as helpful. See you there!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Skill confirmation=you buy lunch?
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Skill confirmation=you buy lunch?

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that possibility. After spending the money on the class, a light set-up, ammo and the skill confirmation, about all I'll have left is enough for a run to the border. "Quieres Taco Bell, amigo?"
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Kato-You just need the safety and operating mechanics to get you up to speed.
Couple hourse should be more than enough time to get you and rick up to speed.
For you, it`s just honing what you already know and putting mechanic mindset to the weapon.
For rick it`ll be unlearning to relearn a different way to arrive at the same place.
But the safety mechanics always needs reinforced.

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#30]
After-action report:

Left the range at 1 this morning so I'm kind of dragging now, but it was worth it! I liked how they stressed safety. Small class--only six--but we burned a lot of ammo. I've never shot so much in one day (probably close to 400 rounds)!

Found the instruction and instructors to be very good. No attitudes. They're just there to present as clearly as possible ways to help us use our weapons safely and more effectively. The shoot house was definitely an eye-opener! Lots of stuff you need to think about. (Of course, as a private citizen, I'm not going to go chasing bad guys in my or any other house; I'm going to call for help then stay put and let the bad guys come to me.)

Thinking about it now, there's a lot of stuff to practice in the future to sharpen skills. Would've liked to have done more transition drills, but maybe due to it being a night course they de-emphasized that aspect?

Was fun to meet a few new people, shoot with Leadpoisoner again and to shoot with Chen Lee for the first time. (If he ever asks you to get something out of his trunk, tell him to take a hike--his trunk opens only on HIS command.)

Edited to add: Hey, they supplied the Taco Bell for everyone! And at the end of the class, anyone who wanted--all six, in other words--got to run a magazine through a shorty M16. Fun!
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Any photos?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Any photos?

I don't think anyone had a camera. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Kato,

I am glad you enjoyed the class.  My trunk opens just fine, maybe you just need to learn how to use the trunk release.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top