Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2003 5:54:33 PM EDT
Good news and bad news:

My lovely girlfriend of 9 years is shaping up to be a great actress.  After a 2 day trip to LA, she landed a legit agent (Girsh Agency - sp?), a commercial agent and a movie role in an upcoming Keanu Reaves/Martin Short film.

Bad news is that she's going to be in CA for the next 6 months for sure and who knows how long after that!  There's a good chance that I'm moving out there if her career keeps progressing at this rate. (I'll be the at home dad!)

Anyway, my question is, what guns are legal in CA?  Obviously, my AR15's aren't coming, but how about my M1a?  What other fun guns are allowed?  What about pistol permits and purchasing firearms?  What is necessary?

Last thing...if anyone knows a friend/relative in a lawfirm that would be interested in helping a Fordham Law 2003 grad, please im or email me their info so I can maybe email them about the CA legal community and how job prospects are looking.

Thanks!
Greg
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Life sucks - leave your guns with me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Well sorry to hear that you might be moving to the kommie state, "HOME OF CAR CHASES".You can still get M1a's,a Robison M96 Recon, like an AR,Mini-14's,a fixed 10rnd FAL,Pump action AK's and M1 carbines.Wow what a list huh?Well good luck to the both of you and well see ya out here!
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Or if your don't like Racers' idea, you could stay home with your AR's and leave your girlfriend with me!
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]
You can store them and shoot them in Arizona

Otherwise, you're screwed.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or if your don't like Racers' idea, you could stay home with your AR's and leave your girlfriend with me!

I wouldn't do that to anyone, even if you are from Kaliban!  Maybe I should just let her loose on CA like the plague she is!  She might counteract the effects of your political system.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Move to Vegas and let her drive a few hours to work. If she makes the big time and a ton of dough get her a pilots license and her own small plane
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you are married I wouldn't follow......

For the sheer politics of the state is the primary, but switching coasts, etc etc etc........

Ugh....would not want to be you.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#9]
... Whatever you decide to do, I would not sell your weapons. What if her career as an actress doesn't come to fruition? What if she gets homesick for New York? My point is that you two may find your way back "home" after a few months and things would be back to normal.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Are Garands legal in CA?

Heck, they aren't my favorite, but I think I could still put up a pretty good fight with an M1A.

Lucky I just got an M1a from Wave!  This is all yet to be seen and we're actively trying to negotiate a bicoastal contract for her.  Its proving difficult, since they want her at their disposal at a moment's notice, but she's highly recommended with power players behind her. (Baldwin and Dreyfuss)  

Anyway, 9 years together makes it a difficult situation, so its near impossible to just walk away.  This situation is all of about 4 days old, so there's a lot to be resolved and discussed before I start packin my car!

Thanks for the comments so far, it looks like I'll be getting back into bolt actions!
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]
When in doubt research the statutes (or don't you have a clerk to do that menial work yet? or ask the guys here to do it)

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
... Whatever you decide to do, I would not sell your weapons. What if her career as an actress doesn't come to fruition? What if she gets homesick for New York? My point is that you two may find your way back "home" after a few months and things would be back to normal.

I can say with most certainty that no guns of mine get sold unless I don't like them.  (Or to pay for bigger and better!)  My guns would stay at my parent's house until I reentered a free zone.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw your GF on the Letterman Show.  Glad things are working out for her (and you?).

Yep, you sadly can't take the AR's into the state.  

However, IIRC you can still buy Mini's, Cal legal M1A's, Garand's, 10-22's but you may want to quickly pre-empt the move, establish a legal residence in CA (heck just rent a room!), and buy that .50!

Looking for sport utility hardware, there are lots of places.  Here is one:

http://www.goldcoastguns.com/

See you at the Ivy.  I'll be at my regular table
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm betting they are a POS gun, but the KEL-TEC SU-16 is legal and accepts m-16 mags.  I expect jamming and the sights following off, and no accuracy.  Potential for someone to sell improvement items, heavy barrel, better sights.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#16]
ive heard that kel tec doesnt want to sell there gun to kali, but its a POS anyway.

bring your garand, m1a with muzzle brake, m1 carbine, mini14/30, AR Uppers Only, and get a fab10 lower.
you could even bring your "10rnd mags that hold an extra few" if you dont tell anyone, its not like people dont cross the border to LV n AZ shows for that reason.

most of your shotguns n pistols should be ok, but you would have to register the pistols.
if you want to buy a pistol here you would have to get a "HSC or handgun safety card", 25bux for 5 years, and jump through some other stupid hoops.

i dont know if Front Sight still does this, but they will store kali guns for a fee im sure. like someone said before try living in vegas or AZ and she can take an hour flight to LA for acting jobs.

be sure to leave your winter clothes behind with the guns you cant bring here
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Constantine?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:05:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I think the only differences in the M1A is it must have a CA legal Muzzle Break, and 10 rd. mags max.

I've also heard of some places in Las Vegas who will store your AR, but I don't know how much they charge.

If you do make it out, you can hook up with some of us locals for some range time.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Elarski's right., you only need to change the flash supressor to a muzzle break. It should be available through Springfield. Hes also brought up a technicle point, you cant have full capacity mags here. For you to bring them with you is illegal importation.

You wont need a permit for the guns you already have, but your supposed to file the voluntary registration for with the CA DOJ for your handguns within 60 days of becomming a resident (or is it 30). You can bring with you your non sb15 comlient handguns, and I know your aware of what rifles are legal.

Now the good news is... there are other gun nuts in the state! There are lots of us and were not too hard to find. Also, I've never been asked for "papers" on any rifles.

Now you know why everyone needs to be involved fighting the insane laws in CA. This very thing can happen to nearly any guy on the board.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#20]
You can import for your own personal use any long gun that is not a Caliban "assault weapon".  There's no paperwork or registration.

Bolt-action 50 BMG rifles are still legal here.

The Barrett M82 is considered an "assault weapon" here.

M1As are selling very well at the moment.

You get some slack on handguns.  You can import for your own personal use any handgun that is not an "AW" under Caliban law, but you have to register it within 60 days:

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/ab991.htm

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info guys, it will come in handy!  I'm definately going to be in NY until she has established her own career to the point where I'm sure beyond a reasonable doubt that she'll be able to support me while I take the bar there and search for a job.  God I don't want to move.  Looks like you guys get 2 more Republican votes next election!  They'll probably do the same amount of good that they did here with Hitlery and Schumer.  Damn demonrats.

I was looking at the Robison M96 and I was kinda curious why we can't create a stock that emulates the M96 setup for the AR15?  Is the AR15 action banned specifically or does it fall within a constructive Assault Weapon category by its features?  

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Named by type, maker, series and constructively.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I almost forgot...

You'll love it in CA, the most "Sue Happy" place on Earth. It never ceases to amaze me just how stupid some of things people sue for, but hey, good for you.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Leave all your magazine fed semi autos, and your handguns behind. then buy new stuff when you get here. M1A, Mini 14, M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, SKS, Benelli, ect. That way all your eggs wont be in one basket.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I almost forgot...

You'll love it in CA, the most "Sue Happy" place on Earth. It never ceases to amaze me just how stupid some of things people sue for, but hey, good for you.

I'm coming from NY, we beat CA on the suing stats!

How about the H&K SL8?
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Loose lips sink ships

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top