Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 7:59:17 PM EDT
Hi Guys,
The date for the June DBS has been set. Because of the "warm" weather, we are going to try a late afternoon/night shoot. The date will be Saturday the 28th. Set up will be 4ish and go till ??? There is even some talk about maybe some of us camping out there.

All you California types need to get out here.  This is an informal get together of local shooters and all are welcome.  We shoot everything under the sun, lots of Class 3 to muzzle loaders and we all share!  Just bring ammo.
The area where we shoot is right off the 15 about 10 miles BEFORE you get to town.  It is only about 20 mins after you cross the border.  Easy 4 hour drive from L.A.  There are plenty of reasonably priced hotels within 5 min drive so get going!  If anyone wants a map, just ask and I will post one here.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#1]
GREAT GUNS, GREAT PEOPLE, GREAT FOOD!!!

I ONLY DREAMED ABOUT SHOOTS LIKE THIS, WHEN WE LIVED IN KALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!

Heres the pics of the guns i usaly bring.

guns: GLOCK 18C
     V53
     M16A4
     COLT 9MM
     HK G36C
     M249 SAW

G36K
     MP5
     M4A1
     UMP 40

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Heres some VIDEO from the last shoot  

www.area51guns.com/images/dbs/maydbsmed.wmv
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey it's really nice of you guys to throw the invite out there.  Wish I could attend but I will be deploying unfortunately next Monday morning the 16th. Looks like I'll be home by Christmas.

When I get back though, boy would I love take a few toys and cross those state lines and shoot with you fellas. My wife would love to go also.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm interested, please post map.  I'll be in the middle of a 2-week vacation that weekend.  If money permits I should have a 50 BMG rifle put together by then.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, please send me info. or post map. Should be fun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When I get back though, boy would I love take a few toys and cross those state lines and shoot with you fellas. My wife would love to go also.

We are going to hold you to it!!!

I will be posting a map this weekend for those who are interested.  I have gotten a few emails too so this might be interesting.  Hope to see you all there!

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Good.  I'm bringing a long a friend or three with some of our more interesting weapons.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#9]
As promised, here is a map to "the pit" in Sloan.  The road may look a little rough but you can drive anything in.

Again, setup that Saturday will be around 3-4pm and go into the night.  We are trying to avoid the mid-day sun as it is rather warm these days.

As an added note, some of us will be camping out there that night and anyone who would like to join us is welcome.  Also, the DBS shoots are an informal affair.  Everyone is welcome.  Just show up and have fun.  If anyone has any specific questions, just post.  Hope to see all of you there.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Good.  I'm bringing a long a friend or three with some of our more interesting weapons.

Kid, were you one of the guys that emailed me about the ammo buy??  If you were I need to hear from you asap.  If it wasn't you, I need to hear from whoever did.

It's going to be a great meet, hope some of you are making plans to join us!

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#11]
That wasn't me, rickinvegas.

My AR-50 is just about ready.  I have to finish waffling on scope placement.  There are at least two of us confirmed coming up from Diego.

Looks like an ideal spot!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Kid,  Glad to hear you are going to make it.  I just heard from one of our locals today and he will be out there with his .50.  It's going to be way cool to have 2 fifties blasting away in the middle of the line!

I hope some more of you oppressed souls are planning to join us next Saturday.  There will be several first time DBS'ers out that day from the sound of it.  We are looking forward to meeting you.  And remember, its not like we are meeting in Barstow or Ely or some other  jerkwater town (apologies to Barstow and Ely natives ).........this is VEGAS BABY!  When it gets dark, you can turn around on the firing line and see the city lit up behind us.  It's quite a sight.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I am going.
I'm in San Diego and it's only 4 or 5 hours away.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think I am going.
I'm in San Diego and it's only 4 or 5 hours away.

Glad to have you!
Let us know if you need any more detailed directions.  See you Saturday afternoon.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#15]
It's pretty cool shooting at Sloan. Shooting TOWARDS the I-15, with the lights of Vegas behind you is kinda strange though. I've never went all the way in to the pit. I usually stop at the first legal shooting spot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Can I make that road without 4X4? I am in a Sedan with regular clearence.

It's also suppose to be 106 degrees that day!
So I take it that most people won't show up until 4 or 5pm. Will there be night shooting?

PS> Also, where is a good gun store in Las Vegas? I need to buy ammo!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:06:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Access is no problem, guys come in driving Hondas/Toyotas etc all the time.

Yes there will be night shooting and setup is 3-4 in the afternoon.  Sunset is 8:00 and some of us will be camping out there.

As for ammo, what do you need?  There are a few stores in town depending on what you are buying.

Hope to see you there!

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Is it likely someone will bring a 1919?  I have some 308 ball ammo on Israeli links.

The only ammo I'm lacking and can't get is tracers.  Cali has cities and forests that burn, so tracers are illegal even to possess.

If someone could either direct me to a convenient source in NV or bring a few along that I could buy or trade for I would very much appreciate it - .223 and/or 50 BMG.

Or if .308 or .30-'06 tracers are available I'll bring a rifle in either or both of those.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is it likely someone will bring a 1919?  I have some 308 ball ammo on Israeli links.

There was one out last month

The only ammo I'm lacking and can't get is tracers.  Cali has cities and forests that burn, so tracers are illegal even to possess.

Don't know of anyone in town that stocks tracers, sorry.  I have to mailorder or buy at gunshow

If someone could either direct me to a convenient source in NV or bring a few along that I could buy or trade for I would very much appreciate it - .223 and/or 50 BMG.

Anyone?

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've never went all the way in to the pit. I usually stop at the first legal shooting spot.

Just a heads up for those coming out to Sloan for the first time........

Be careful shooting at any of the cutouts you pass leading in to the pit.  Those areas are the ones usually used by the "I gots me a six-pack and a new sks from Big 5, lets take our trash out and shoot at it!" crowd.  BLM LE patrols that area real hard and I have seen some people do some pretty stupid things in those areas.  On the other side of the coin, BLM is very supportive of our "group" shooting at the pit.  They have basically given us pretty free reign and have even let us shoot when the rest of the area is closed to everyone else.  While we don't have to pick up  our brass, we do not leave any trash or crap.  This is a VERY important relationship that we have built up with BLM and no one wants to see it damaged or anyone hurt by the jerks.

Just my thoughts.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#21]
It appears that I have found a source for some "interesting" 50 BMG ammo.  I plan to pick some up on the way to Sloan if all works out as planned.

Thanks to the discreet individual who responded to my cry for help!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top