Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 1:26:10 PM EDT
Trying to get another SECRET in before the heat builds.

June 21st and 22nd officially kick off summer

Why not do it with a bang?
Juno?

Who`s coming?
Who`s goin`?

There`s going to be folks with firearms
Got to be safe
email me for the skinny

[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
wouldnt miss it !!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
no more June 6,7?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The 7th and 8th couldn`t work for me and a few others
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#5]
woops didnt notice the dates have been changed! maybe will miss it! thats 2 weeks before my wedding will have to see. hopefully i can get every thing done before that weekend!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
well I'll be on deployment so i guess that counts me out
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Now those have got to be the most interesting barricades I've ever seen!  

SHIVER ME TIMBERS!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Whew, 21-22 is still open so count me in!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Wedding on sunday the 22nd, but lz is at halfway point to the wedding.  just gotta make sure fri/sat are clear with family since pops is gonna be out of town.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh shoot...

That Saturday I'm hosting a SOCAL RS Warrior bike ride through the San Berdo mountains.

I can probably make camp Saturday evening. I'll travel light and leave the dirt bikes home. So I'll just miss out Friday and most of Saturday's activities.

There is still a chance my SOCAL ride may be rescheduled. June as you know has a lot of Graduations peps have to attend. Trying to find a Saturday that most have free to do the ride. 1st & 2nd week are no go for most. 3rd Sat looked best with the 4th Sat = a maybe.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm planning on going.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
BEFORE the heat builds??  Where you been the last few days?  Pray for some June gloom, it broke 90+ in Brea today.

My son gets home on leave during the week after that and I have a Grad party that weekend.  Darn.

My boy(s) and I are planning to go out while he's here in July.  I'm thinking we must be a little looney already to even consider it.  Got a good deal on xm193 at Turners last week.

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Due to lack of folks wanting to go

I think the location will be on the Kern River.

It`ll be a fishing for a SECRET kinda weekend.
Limited shooting area but close.
Fishing
Camping (small fee)

feedback?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Due to the heat I'd prefer the river, but I'll go to either or both
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I've heard of shooting fish in a barrel but not in a river. Sounds like fun, hope I can make it.

Either is fine with me but leaning towards the Kern River.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah I bought a tent back in December 2001 in preparation for the river trip, it's still in wrap
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#17]
have fun!  Kern is nice area.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think the location will be on the Kern River.
feedback?

I've heard the water is really cold. Brrr. I've spent a few days in the low desert the past two weeks, and it's been 110 so I'm acclimated to the heat now. Was kind of looking forward to a SECRET in the Heat, 2003.

Where on the Kern? How about riding dirt bikes and ATVs there (or should we leave those home)? Is it close to the motocross track outside of town?

Edited to add: Lack of riding opportunities won't keep me from going. Heck, I didn't ride at all at the last SECRET.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Water in the river is pretty damned cold this time of year. Not as cold as Yosemite in August but it`ll REFRESH ya real dern quick if you so decide.
My kids go in and stay in.
I will go in to cool down but mainly fish.
There are some trails nearby for bikes but I am not sure where.

I`m looking for a good map to post here.
Here are some directions from LA

From Los Angeles (2 hours 30 minutes for the 1-5 route; 2 hours 45 minutes for the Highway 14 route): From the west side of L.A. - You can take 1-5 north over the Grapevine, then take either route 99 north into Bakersfield to meet Highway 178 east, or take Highway 184 north through Lamont to meet Highway 178 east. Or you can take Highway 14 through Mojave to Highway 178 west over Walker Pass. From the eastside ofL.A. Take Highway 395 north to Highway 178 (at Inyokern). Take 178 west to Highway 14 south for three miles, then turn right on Highway 178 west again over Walker Pass. Total miles: 150 following the I-5 route; 160 along Highway 14.

I believe it`s a 3 hour trip and milage wise the it`s less coming from the west into Lake Isabella..
Once at Lake Isabella look for signs that take you to the north end of the lake to Kernville.
Head north from Kernville along the river approx 15-20 miles to a campground marked Limestone.
There is a motel nearby at McNally`s which also has the best steak you`ll ever come across.
I`ll post more soon
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Paid camp site...means no crapping in the bushes, right?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#21]
There is forest run campsites at Limestone, and offers outhouse type of bladder relief.

You have the option of camping anywhere also if you`ve grown accustomed to the bush.

No hook ups for trailers but enough room for them to park on semi level ground.

Sandy beach on the river

River is stocked with rainbow trout a good hike will get you to an area that has Golden Trout.

There is excellent rafting tours available and I`ll prolly do that at least once.

Shooting area is sceneic enough to stay awhile
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Cool. Do we still need trucks to get there?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Man i wish i could make it that is one of my favorite areas.That weeknd i am already busy but hopefully another secret in the kern i can go as long as it aint the first weekend in aug or a race dateI havent shot my guns sice the oct secret been really busy with boats.Heres some pics from phoenix 9.52@108 in the liquid 1/4 so far but more is capable

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#24]
So who's all going to the river?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Me! And my neighbor and one of his buddies. Also invited a female newbie who's either going to ride her CBR600F3 up there or maybe take her truck. So that's four in my crew. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Me!

Hopefully I'll arrive Thursday evening.

Looks like the weather is going to be great, highs in the mid 80s.

Borrowed a fishin' pole, still gotta score a license.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#27]
what kind of fish can you catch there?  you gonna gut it and eat it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
what kind of fish can you catch there?  you gonna gut it and eat it?

If it's trout, those are pretty easy to clean. Then just throw them in a pan with some flour and butter, and voila! Dinner is served. Oh, somebody better make rice to go with that.

Of course, as Rich314 noted, there's an excellent place for steaks not too far from the campsite. For those of us without licenses or poles, that could be an option.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Let'see...cleaning and gutting fish, cooking fish, hands smelling like fish for a day.....steak dinner served on a dining table....
I think the steak gets my vote
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Let'see...cleaning and gutting fish, cooking fish, hands smelling like fish for a day.....steak dinner served on a dining table....
I think the steak gets my vote

C'mon Duffy, where's your sense of adventure? After all, it's camping. Like, back to nature.

Secret for getting rid of fish smell: wash your hands with toothpaste (after first washing them off with soap). At least that's what we used to do when I was a little fisherman.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#31]
what if i wash the fish with tooth paste first?
Fishing was my first hobby, too messy for me now.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#32]
camping and survival skills test.
Dinner should be determined by your fishing skills.Catch a fish you get dinner no fish well maybe that steak.For the fish smell a lemon works good too.
Have fun this weekend out there at kern i'll be at the other river(colorado)
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll pit my wits against a can of Chef Boryardee, don't have to gut those right?
Ok I still have no clue how to find you guys once I'm in the area, somebody help me! lol.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Look at the directions again Duffy. Name of the Campground is Limestone. Just cruise the campground. If you still don't find us just stand on your vehicle and scream WebShooooters! I'm sure we will get to you in time to wave bye - bye as the Park Rangers haul you off.  

From Los Angeles (2 hours 30 minutes for the 1-5 route; 2 hours 45 minutes for the Highway 14 route): From the west side of L.A. - You can take 1-5 north over the Grapevine, then take either route 99 north into Bakersfield to meet Highway 178 east, or take Highway 184 north through Lamont to meet Highway 178 east. Or you can take Highway 14 through Mojave to Highway 178 west over Walker Pass. From the eastside ofL.A. Take Highway 395 north to Highway 178 (at Inyokern). Take 178 west to Highway 14 south for three miles, then turn right on Highway 178 west again over Walker Pass. Total miles: 150 following the I-5 route; 160 along Highway 14.
I believe it`s a 3 hour trip and milage wise the it`s less coming from the west into Lake Isabella..
Once at Lake Isabella look for signs that take you to the north end of the lake to Kernville.
Head north from Kernville along the river approx 15-20 miles to a campground marked Limestone.
There is a motel nearby at McNally`s which also has the best steak you`ll ever come across.
I`ll post more soon
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow, that was a great SECRET. Definitely different than the desert ones, what with the trees and river. Nice location, especially being right next door to McNally's! (Wow, those were great steaks.) Very nice to see so many wives and kids for this one too. Looking forward to the next one, whether at the river or the dez.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#36]
It was great to see everyone again, it's a perfect location for doing nothing, which was what I did for the most part.  The desert is better for shooting, but we got running water and toilets.  It was about 200 plus miles for me but it was worth it.  Let's make reservations next time so at least our camps will be centralized.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Hey, that was fun
I just got back last night
Joe`s crew and BKinzey stayed an extra day also

BK caught some fish and taught me how to teach my kids how to fish without losing my mind.

The Rib broke my pole (fishing) so I did the nothing thing like Duffy and was happy doing it.

I can`t recall if ever the Kern had a belt fed weapon cooking along side it`s banks but I know it has heard the thunder now. LOL

I got some phone numbers and names for next time. Primo site numbers will be reserved for the next Fishy SECRET to be held Either late July or Early August.
Limestone is a State run campground and as such takes no reservations, but Fairview does.

It was great to spend time with quality type folks again.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got off the phone with McNalley's. I left my Camera bag there Sunday night. They will send it to me so I'll have a few pics to post when I get it.

I knew It was a bad Idea when I hung it on the back of my chair.

Still had a great time and plan to go back with or without you guys.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll be sure to get a fishing pole and license
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Just got off the phone with McNalley's. I left my Camera bag there Sunday night. They will send it to me so I'll have a few pics to post when I get it.

Hope you got a shot of that 40-ounce steak that guy polished off!

I knew It was a bad Idea when I hung it on the back of my chair.

At least you're getting it back. It'd be a real shame to lose that nice new camera.

Still had a great time and plan to go back with or without you guys.

What, are we not going to get invited? JK.
I think I may have my girlfriend talked into trying semi-primitive camping. Getting her to try shooting is the next step. Either way, I'm totally ready to go back. Late July/early August sounds good to me, judging by a quick check of the Kato Kalendar!

Edited to add: Hey Duffy, hope you got your tooth fixed!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#41]
sounds like fun time!  I hope I can go next time!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks Kato, got it fixed on Tuesday.  I think I'll fish and not shoot next time, seems like the thing to do there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top