Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2003 6:27:39 AM EDT
Oh the ideas you get in the middle of the night.......a few years late unfortunately!

One of my shooting buddies in the golden state has a homebuilt AR he made from a 80% lower.  He is a machinist by trade and it is a very nice shooting weapon.  He registered it along with his other AW's of course as did I.  At the time I was not an AR owner and while I thought about picking one up prior to the deadline, I found other things to spend my limited shooting budget on.  If I had thought of it at the time this is what I would have done......

I would have registered "phantom" AR's.  My friend made up a serial number for his homebuilt of course (I think it was his girlfriend's phone number) and stamped it on the receiver.  I would have just "made up" say 10 serial numbers and registered them thus giving me the option of building California Legal AR's on 80% lowers as funds were available by using these serial #'s as I went along.  My only out of pocket expense would have been the $25 (I think that is what it was) registration fee per serial #.

Did anyone do this or know of anyone who did?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Manufacturing an AR in California would be illegal. Even for personal use.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Not if it was done and registered before the ban.  Right?

rickinVegas, I understand what you are saying.  Hindsite is always 20/20!  If I knew about this site back then and knew about 80% lowers and 0% forgings, I would have been all over it.  Oh well.  I'll have to settle for the 2 I do have until I can buy a place out of state.
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Were it in before sb23 i think it would have been legal.  submitting fraudulent info, however, isn't.  Manufacturing after the date doesn't strike me as legal anymore, either.  Can we have a recall on individual laws now?
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if it was done and registered before the ban.  Right?

rickinVegas, I understand what you are saying.  Hindsite is always 20/20!  If I knew about this site back then and knew about 80% lowers and 0% forgings, I would have been all over it.  Oh well.  I'll have to settle for the 2 I do have until I can buy a place out of state.

Nope, not as I figure it as the 80% lower wouldn't be fish or foul. An 80% reciever is just a piece of metal - or else you couldn't buy it through the mail without an FFL. If it were an 80.1% AR it would be a rifle and need to be registered. Taking it from 80.0% to 80.1% after the ban is illegal.

From personal experence the Califoria DOJ doesn't know what a Shade Tree or Tannery lower is. I've built a couple of each in North Carolina and attempted to bring them into the state on my Military Assault Weapon Permit. They needed a manufacture's code for Shade Tree - I explained that they made only a few hundred forgings a year and that they were finished by hand. I explained that they were functionally identical to an Armalite or Bushmaster rifle. She said OK, I make it an Armalite .

So now if I want to bring my currently un-marked lower into the state I have to mark it Armalite and put a serial number on it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
How about "armalight"? Serial # OU812?
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:13:04 AM EDT
[#6]
From the BATFE website:

If a person is in possession of a frame or receiver for a semiautomatic assault weapon on the date of enactment, may the person acquire the rest of the parts and assemble a complete semiautomatic assault weapon?

No. It is unlawful to make such weapon after the law's effective date. [18 U. S. C. 922( v)( 1)]

How 'bout them apples?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
But of course if you had all those parts and receiver before the ban, it would be legal to assemble them now. If the receiver was assembled or was in a complete kit form before the ban it can be reassembled now. What seems to be a gray area, and I've seen some documentation positive AND negative from BATFE, is whether a pre-ban is always a pre-ban I. E. you purchase a stripped pre-ban receiver can you build a pre-ban from it?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Jeez guys, read the thread....My original hypothetical had NOTHING to do with pre/post ban according to the federal law.  I was talking about registering "phantom" serial #'s prior to the California ban for future 80% lower build outs.  It was just a "what if" question.  I KNOW nothing can be done now.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
There are no laws prohibiting the manufacure of an AR receiver, nor are there any laws prohibiting the importation of AR receivers not listed on the Roberti/Roos(?) AR/AK ban.

Proof is the importation of the AK pump rifles and the FAB-10.  You could manufacture an 80% lower and build to a FAB-10 spec.

It would be illegal to build a complete AR (lower not listed on RR ban) under SB-23, but it is legal to build an AR without the pistol grip.

Of course this is only my $0.02, since the Cal DOJ makes up their own rules, preventing the importation of legal AR/AK recievers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Stupid state, every 3 months I pay my state taxes I feel violated, robbed and cheated. As if that weren't bad enough, the city of Los Angeles also wants to hit me on taxes.  I don't live in LA, and it's done nothing for me, why should I pay them?  This is the cith that has more dumbass laws in the making...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Get ready for more taxes.  

Wait till they get a California border patrol.  They only stop you from leaving.  And if you want to move, you have to pay more taxes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top