Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2003 12:16:18 PM EDT
I'm in Huntington Beach and want to know if anyone has any recommendations on a safe mover.  I bought it from Turner's and the charge to move it initially was $50 thru them.  That, I realize is very cheap but the quotes so far are $310 from a local outfit and $232 from a mover that was referred by another safe retailer.  Any help?

It's a 675# AMSEC.  Only a threshhold to go over at the pickup house and a 4 in rise into the destination.  Flat otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I moved my Sun Welding safe with an appliance hand truck (the kind used to move a refridgerator, with the strap that goes around the appliance and then cranks down on the handtruck).  My 60x24x30 safe weighs 500lbs plus.  If you can get it up on the handtruck, you and some friends should be able to leverage around or over the obstacles you describe.

If you need to load it into a pick-up or SUV, you can tip it on its back, on to a tailgate.  Then you and said friends can pick up the other end and manuever it into the truck.  Put some cardboard down for it to slide on, and protect finishes of safe and vehicle.  Unloading is even easier, as you have gravity to help you.  Just let the safe gently slide down the tailgate.

I brought mine home from the factory in a 1991 Suburban 4x4 that is slightly lifted and semi-big tires.  My father and I easily unloaded that thing, just the two of us.  I had to move the safe when we bought a different house last June.

Just be careful when lifting to keep your back straight, and use your legs to lift wherever possible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure the handtruck you use is rated for the weight and rent a truck with a lift gate. Should run ya about $100 - $150.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The handtruck is great up until you have to make a tight corner inside your house.
Cut five or six pieces of 3/4 steel pipe just a few inches shorter than the width of your safe. Get these underneath it and you can roll it around with ease. As the safe rolls over the last pipe, swap it up front to continue.
Even a girly-man can easily manage to move six or seven hundred pounds around this way.
It'll really impress the chicks too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
all good ideas.

if you can take the door off, this takes off a lot of weight and gives hand holds.

get a couple friends over, lay some plywood planks on the ground/carpet and use Basuras idea of pipes or some type of dowels to roll the safe out the house. then use the industrial hand truck to move it around outside.

this is what the moving company is going to do, nothing that you, some friends and some beer cant accomplish in a couple hours work, and for cheaper. besides its not good letting strangers into the house and letting them know about your guns.

oh yeah, be sure to take the guns out of the safe first before moving it
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:13:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought an appliance hand-truck when I bought my vault, which was right after a "friend" that I used to work with burglarized my rented house.

I have moved 3 times since then, the hand-truck has long since paid for itself ($110.00).

It also makes me very popular when a friend has to move.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The hand-truck idea is a great way to get a safe sized hole bashed in your wall.  Or worse yet a safe sized imprint on you.  

I HIGHLY recommend Dean Security Safe in North Hollywood.  Charged me $150.00, super professional, courteous and they have the correct equipment and experience to do the job safely (nevermind the pun).  I don't know how much it would be to go to HB, but these guys are awesome!
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Using the pipes should get it over the threshold.  The handtruck just to help it over the 4" rise, and then just the pipes to move it around, once it is on the handtruck and tipped it is very awkward.    You can also build up cribbing with 2x4s to raise it by walking it up.  Push it over stick a 2x4 under push it the other way and stick one or two under.  Take it slow and easy, once they start moving they can be real bears to stop.  Your back and hands are worth more than the safe.

BTW Sportsman Safes down in Long Beach delivered free (to Orange County) when I got mine 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Well did ya get it done? Anything broke?  fess up!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The easiest way is to have Turner's deliver it to you for free! haaaahaa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top