Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2022 4:27:13 PM EDT
I have a friend that moved from upstate NY to the Ft Myers Florida area about 3 years ago.  While in NY he was convicted of a Felony DWI, he did not cause property damage or strike a person but he blew a .38 (.038?).  He had other DWIs but they were violations.  His last offense, his felony was over 10 years ago.  He was on probation for 5 years and never did anything illegal during those 5 years.  Now that he is in Florida and owns a business and is doing well, and has been sober for over 5 years or longer at this point he would like to find an attorney to potentially try to restore his gun rights.  I know a person in NY who did it,  It cost him several thousand dollars and took about a year.  I have no idea how Florida works.  Does anyone have any recommendations regarding a specific attorney?   Has anyone attempted this process in Florida that has any advice?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The felony needs to be expunged. Since he caught it in New York, and it's a state felony (as opposed to a Federal one), he'll need to go through New York State to expunge it. I'd have him contact an attorney (or several attorneys) up there and get a rough estimate of costs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Florida does not need another alcoholic, New Yorker, felon with a gun.
Urge him to move back north of the Mason and Dixon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Florida does not need another alcoholic, New Yorker, felon with a gun.
Urge him to move back north of the Mason and Dixon.
View Quote

People make mistakes--you aren't the worst thing you've ever done. We're talking about a 10 year old charge for a victimless crime bud.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

People make mistakes--you aren't the worst thing you've ever done. We're talking about a 10 year old charge for a victimless crime bud.
View Quote
You need to back up...he's a badass.

On the internet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do not consider DUI a victimless crime.  He is lucky he did not kill someone.  Also, he has multiple DUIs.  That is not a mistake, that is an alcoholic.  Welcome him if you want, but that is how FL will turn Blue.

I am not a badass in any way shape or form.  I just don't suffer fools gladly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I do not consider DUI a victimless crime.  He is lucky he did not kill someone.  Also, he has multiple DUIs.  That is not a mistake, that is an alcoholic.  Welcome him if you want, but that is how FL will turn Blue.

I am not a badass in any way shape or form.  I just don't suffer fools gladly.
View Quote

Well said
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#8]
But....it's for a friend ..right??  ??
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
is your friend sober?  Still drinking?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#12]
see above
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top