Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2022 3:48:27 PM EDT
Trying to get my bearings around pensacola for hunting this year as well as bass fishing (kayak). Any places anyone willing to share ?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
As a serious hunter I will highly recommend you save your $$$ and seek out a reputable hunt club/lease vs. hunting public lands.

Either that or luck up and make friends with someone who has land.

What are you after hunting wise?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Bass fishing take a day and go up to Eufala There are lots of small lakes along the way
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a pass to hunt/fish on Eglin AFB.  Go to Jackson Guard, create an account, take an online class on UXO (Unexploded Ordinance) and buy a permit.  There is good hunting along 87.  That is a dog hunt area so take a stand and wait for Billy-Bobs dogs to chase a deer to you.  

The class/test is a joke:
While hunting you find an unexploded bomb.  YOU:
A.  Take a selfie with it.
B.  Kick it to see what happens
C.  Back off and shoot it to render it safe.
D. Leave the way you came and report it to Jackson Guard.

There is also good fishing/dove hunting on base.
Jackson Guard is the Eglin AFB Natural Resources Division.  The name goes back to when the base was Andy By God Jackson national forest.

The Sportsman permit; Authorizes hunting, fishing, trapping, and participation in general outdoor recreation activities plus access to the Hurlburt Trap/Skeet and Paintball Complex.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a pass to hunt/fish on Eglin AFB.  Go to Jackson Guard, create an account, take an online class on UXO (Unexploded Ordinance) and buy a permit.  There is good hunting along 87.  That is a dog hunt area so take a stand and wait for Billy-Bobs dogs to chase a deer to you.  

Jackson Guard is the Eglin AFB Natural Resources Division.  The name goes back to when the base was Andy By God Jackson national forest.

The Sportsman permit; Authorizes hunting, fishing, trapping, and participation in general outdoor recreation activities plus access to the Hurlburt Trap/Skeet and Paintball Complex.
View Quote

The answer is obviously B.

Why even put that on a test??
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As a serious hunter I will highly recommend you save your $$$ and seek out a reputable hunt club/lease vs. hunting public lands.

Either that or luck up and make friends with someone who has land.

What are you after hunting wise?
View Quote

I know the stressors of public land I don’t care doesn’t bother me. Making friends or finding a club is unlikely for me. Near the finish line of a divorce just wanna be alone and hunt. Whitetail does only, bucks too tricky to know if the meats bad from the rut. Hogs while tasty I don’t care to kill unless a farmer needs help.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bass fishing take a day and go up to Eufala There are lots of small lakes along the way
View Quote

Eufala thanks I’ll try that really appreciate, I’m not asking for peoples “secret spots” just some fresh water places to relax, loose some expensive s bass lures and laugh about it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks I never would have known that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks never would have known that. I’ll look into that for sure, I still gotta hunt down a bow shop.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know the stressors of public land I don’t care doesn’t bother me. Making friends or finding a club is unlikely for me. Near the finish line of a divorce just wanna be alone and hunt. Whitetail does only, bucks too tricky to know if the meats bad from the rut. Hogs while tasty I don’t care to kill unless a farmer needs help.
View Quote

I hear ya on the being alone for a while... best wishes for you one that.

Bad from the rut? Not sure if you're serious. Killed many rutting buck, taste just fine. Nasty ass boar, now that's another story.

Doe days are limited in FL, depends on where you are. I have no idea what's up with antlerless deer on public lands. Be careful, the rules change from location to location.

Good luck going forward.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bad from the rut? Not sure if you're serious. Killed many rutting buck, taste just fine. Nasty ass boar, now that's another story.

Doe days are limited in FL, depends on where you are. I have no idea what's up with antlerless deer on public lands. Be careful, the rules change from location to location.

Good luck going forward.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck going forward.

Dead serious last few bucks that I was given meat from processed by my dad or the local processor it just was excessively gamey but does killed in the same time frame and location where fine. I also have all the horns a guy could need.

Thanks for the tips advice and wishes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top