Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2022 9:12:57 AM EDT
Title sums it up.
Looking at building a vacation/rental for our family.

Looking at the Punta Gorda, Burnt Store, and Cape Coral areas.

Important points:

Family Activities:  1 hour or less away
Beaches: Any notable spots in a reasonable driving distance.

We usually do Bradenton and Orlando/Kissimmee flying into Tampa or Orlando and splitting two weeks between the two.
So we have been looking to buy a lot or two and build a vacation/rental in a year or two.
Wife’s uncle moved to Burnt Store, likes it a lot, says the major down side is a lack of beaches in the area.

I have learned that we have to have assessments for protected wildlife and stuff of that nature.
Any other property buying tips or need to knows for the area would be great too.

Let me know what you Floridians have to say.

Thanks

ETA:

For us, road trips to do things aren’t a big deal.
But local activities and beaches are important for us or for a kick back and relax short term rental.

Link Posted: 7/26/2022 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If you see a Sandhill Crane or a gopher tortoise, run.

Check FEMA flood zone info and watch out for areas where you might need extra insurance. Might also be good to check for maps of reported sinkholes and be careful about areas where they may be likely.

Oh - if you get the chance, go look at the property and nearby areas after it rains. Poor folks behind me bought into a property that basically turns into a muddy lake after a mild to moderate storm...
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check FEMA flood zone info and watch out for areas where you might need extra insurance. Might also be good to check for maps of reported sinkholes and be careful about areas where they may be likely.

Oh - if you get the chance, go look at the property and nearby areas after it rains. Poor folks behind me bought into a property that basically turns into a muddy lake after a mild to moderate storm...
View Quote

Thanks for the tips

The whole protected species thing is definitely an interesting thing to have to take into account when you’re looking at land.
We are aware for the insurance needs that may arise.
Sinkholes, yep, didn’t think about those though.
Elevation and flooding concerns, we’ve discussed those.
We’re planning a weekend to fly down and spend two full days exploring and viewing the areas to get a feel for them and see how everything is situated.

We are leaning towards existing developments or older areas where lots may pop up.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Draw a line from about just N of Tampa - say, Brooksville area - and zap it up to the middle of the state to just about where Wildwood is (Turnpike start/end), and from there across to the Atlantic somewhere S of Daytona but relatively close to it.

North of that line is mostly Old Florida, laid back, great place to be.  We've got lovely rivers, springs, national forests, great Gulf fishing an hour or so drive in one direction (or less) or the beaches of the Atlantic an hour or so drive in the other.

South of that line is an interesting blend of New York, Puerto Rico and Cuba with some S. and Central Americans thrown in for flavor.  Personally I'd avoid it like the plague.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately lots are double what they were 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for the tips

The whole protected species thing is definitely an interesting thing to have to take into account when you’re looking at land.
We are aware for the insurance needs that may arise.
Sinkholes, yep, didn’t think about those though.
Elevation and flooding concerns, we’ve discussed those.
We’re planning a weekend to fly down and spend two full days exploring and viewing the areas to get a feel for them and see how everything is situated.

We are leaning towards existing developments or older areas where lots may pop up.

View Quote

It's not likely to be a huge problem if you aren't getting acreage, but it's something to watch for if you have, say, a "hey that big asshole bird is eyeing my dog funny" or "what is this strange hole in my yard oh look a turtle" moment. Thank God I haven't seen any tortoises in my neighborhood, but I do remember watching a couple Sandhill Cranes pecking at a terrified neighbor's back door like the dude owed them money I keep a super soaker on the porch for the occasions where they start getting pissy with me or threatening the dog. Safe, effective, and discreet

Gopher tortoises don't do much beyond leave an obnoxious hole in your yard, but don't touch them or the burrow. You can still do ordinary lawn maintenance and stuff around it, but you'll want to put in a call to FWC if you see one so they can come relocate it. I don't know if there's a cost to the property owner for them doing it, but I do know there's a fine if you take the initiative.

Also, the environmental folks at work told me they shoot urine from their nose when they feel threatened. So, uh... Maybe just leave 'em to do their thing until the nice people from FWC come deal with it

Oh, speaking of animal stuff, the Tampa Bay area has had scattered but increasing sightings and incidents involving coyotes, and we have some local birds that won't think twice about trying to snatch a cat or small dog. Indoor pets or supervised on a leash would be a pretty good idea.

And if you happen to find yourself in Ybor, don't touch the chickens. Long story. Just leave them be.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's not likely to be a huge problem if you aren't getting acreage, but it's something to watch for if you have, say, a "hey that big asshole bird is eyeing my dog funny" or "what is this strange hole in my yard oh look a turtle" moment. Thank God I haven't seen any tortoises in my neighborhood, but I do remember watching a couple Sandhill Cranes pecking at a terrified neighbor's back door like the dude owed them money I keep a super soaker on the porch for the occasions where they start getting pissy with me or threatening the dog. Safe, effective, and discreet

Gopher tortoises don't do much beyond leave an obnoxious hole in your yard, but don't touch them or the burrow. You can still do ordinary lawn maintenance and stuff around it, but you'll want to put in a call to FWC if you see one so they can come relocate it. I don't know if there's a cost to the property owner for them doing it, but I do know there's a fine if you take the initiative.

Also, the environmental folks at work told me they shoot urine from their nose when they feel threatened. So, uh... Maybe just leave 'em to do their thing until the nice people from FWC come deal with it

Oh, speaking of animal stuff, the Tampa Bay area has had scattered but increasing sightings and incidents involving coyotes, and we have some local birds that won't think twice about trying to snatch a cat or small dog. Indoor pets or supervised on a leash would be a pretty good idea.

And if you happen to find yourself in Ybor, don't touch the chickens. Long story. Just leave them be.
View Quote

No shit I had one start pecking my lanai door while I was out there cleaning a machine gun so I wouldn’t stink up the house with oil. Scared me half to death lol !

https://imgur.com/a/tcLoYdW
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Cape Coral real estate is still on fire.  My city inspector friends tell me, 8 months minimum for new construction permits.
I've lived here since '04.  It's not getting better.  Population went from 82k in '04, to 206k as of last year.  That does not include snow birds in season.
The place is turning into
me-yammy.  Illegals coming in from Texas, dump trucks and tractor trailers parked everywhere, apartment buildings and duplexes popping up in residential neighborhoods, you get the picture.
If that doesn't bother you, and hearing Spanish everywhere doesn't bother you, by all means look here.
We're looking to sell by this time next year.
Good luck in Florida !
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cape Coral real estate is still on fire.  My city inspector friends tell me, 8 months minimum for new construction permits.
I've lived here since '04.  It's not getting better.  Population went from 82k in '04, to 206k as of last year.  That does not include snow birds in season.
The place is turning into
me-yammy.  Illegals coming in from Texas, dump trucks and tractor trailers parked everywhere, apartment buildings and duplexes popping up in residential neighborhoods, you get the picture.
If that doesn't bother you, and hearing Spanish everywhere doesn't bother you, by all means look here.
We're looking to sell by this time next year.
Good luck in Florida !
View Quote

But you're just a hop, skip and a jump from some of the best inshore fishing in the SE. During the week of course, no one in their right mind would try and fish there on the weekends.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or an Indigo snake.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are not on the water, you are not on the water.  I am on the Okaloosa Sound.  30 feet from my back door and I am in the water.  My neighbors across the street can see the water but have a 30-minute drive to an access point. My and all my neighbors on the water have our yards posted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top