Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2022 7:33:53 PM EDT

We’ve got a renovation project which includes a hearth on a fireplace.

Basically, one side will be facing the living room which has a hard wood floor.

Rebuilding the hearth facing the living room, is there a specific fire code for a new hearth or fire proof material inlay out from the fire place?

Local code or state code?
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Rebuilding the hearth facing the living room, is there a specific fire code for a new hearth or fire proof material inlay out from the fire place?

View Quote

Didn't read all of this... maybe it has some answers...

https://up.codes/viewer/florida/fl-residential-code-2014/chapter/10/chimneys-and-fireplaces#10

https://www.ortalheat.com/blog/rules-governing-fireplaces-florida
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Send me a copy of your plans or a drawing... My company is kind of an authority on fire in homes lol
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
This is great. Bowhntr’s post gave me some direction and I did some digging, found it.

Basically 20” from face of fireplace and 12” on either side, non flammable.

Thanks for the offer on the plans though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is great. Bowhntr’s post gave me some direction and I did some digging, found it.

Basically 20” from face of fireplace and 12” on either side, non flammable.

Thanks for the offer on the plans though.
View Quote

no problem!

if you get stuck let me know. Ill have my engineers look at it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]
What I can tell you is it is better to have extra in front of the fireplace. The house I just bought has a fireplace with a burn spot in the carpet almost 45 inches from the front of the fireplace. I was curious and put a tape measure on it. My new plan is tile at least 4 feet out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Did your contractor pull a permit?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Im a fireplace professional have been building servicing and repairing them or 45 years  Your answer is in the NFP211 fire-codes.  Where in Florida are you? If you want to PM me your email I will dig up the relevant page that gives all the clearance to combustibles that are required and email you…… Should have read all the posts I see you found it
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im a fireplace professional have been building servicing and repairing them or 45 years  Your answer is in the NFP211 fire-codes.  Where in Florida are you? If you want to PM me your email I will dig up the relevant page that gives all the clearance to combustibles that are required and email you   Should have read all the posts I see you found it
View Quote
This man knows and they do call him Sweep for a reason!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top