Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2022 6:31:33 PM EDT
Proud of his "pro-gun" bills:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts regarding the Second Amendment. Understanding your views helps me to better represent Florida in the United States Senate, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states that “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” That is why I have always supported the right of law-abiding Americans to bear arms to protect themselves and their families.

All too often, we see politicians who want to exploit tragedies – both here in Florida and across the country – as an excuse to erode that constitutionally protected right. I am committed to working with my colleagues in the Senate to create a more effective system to prevent senseless gun violence, but we must do it in a way that protects the rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment.  

The Congress has previously come together, in a bipartisan manner, to make our schools safer. The 2018 Valentine’s Day senseless massacre of 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland shocked the nation. It also served as a catalyst for action, and my bipartisan Student, Teachers and Officers Preventing (STOP) School Violence Act (P.L 115-141) became law just five weeks later. Within that same law, we were also able to improve the National Instant Criminal Background Check System by passing the Fix NICS Act.

And in Florida, the Republican-led state legislature and Republican governor created a system of Extreme Risk Protection Orders, which help law enforcement and families by providing the ability to temporarily prevent individuals who pose a threat to themselves or others from purchasing or possessing firearms. The Florida law also contains critical due process protections, something I would require under my bipartisan Extreme Risk Protection Order and Violence Prevention Act (S. 292), which would establish U.S. Department of Justice grants to states that enact extreme risk protection order laws with robust due process protections. I first introduced S. 292 in the 116th Congress, and look forward to working with my colleagues to advance this commonsense legislation.

Often, the media and politicians believe weakening the Second Amendment is the only way to prevent future tragedies. I believe we must be proactive and utilize a multi-pronged approach to identify and stop threats.  

After the Parkland tragedy, I met with the families and friends of those who lost loved ones. I met with school resource experts, and convened a roundtable discussion of what can be done to prevent future tragedies from happening. I then led a bipartisan group of members of Congress in calling for the Trump Administration to create a federal clearinghouse on best practices for school safety. SchoolSafety.gov launched in March 2020, and I am optimistic that this initiative will respond directly to the needs of schools to improve safety protocols. I recently also reintroduced the Luke and Alex School Safety Act of 2021 (S. 111), which seeks to codify the clearinghouse effort. I am also an original cosponsor of the EAGLES Act of 2021 (S. 391), which would reauthorize and expand the U.S. Secret Service’s National Threat Assessment Center to help communities proactively mitigate threats of violence at schools. You may also be interested to know that last Congress, I introduced the bipartisan Threat Assessment, Prevention, and Safety (TAPS) Act of 2019 (S. 265), which would create a task force of experts to provide recommendations for a national strategy to keep communities safe from targeted violence through threat assessment and management. I look forward to reintroducing this legislation in the new Congress.

I will always fight to make Florida, its communities, and its schools safer, and I am confident we can do so in a bipartisan way that protects an individual’s right to own firearms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve as your United States Senator. I will keep your thoughts in mind as I consider these issues and continue working to ensure America remains a safe and prosperous nation.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder where Brian "I support the 2nd Amendment, BUT" Mast stands on all of this, now...  He tried to distance himself from the editorial he wrote for the NYT.  I wonder if he has flipped back again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#2]
The whole purpose of those red flag laws is to bypass due process.

If he votes for any of this crap will not vote him in November
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, he states he is a co-sponsor of these bills so he will definitely be voting yes on them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, neither of the Florida senators can be counted on.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
One nice thing about calling them is that you don't get some dumb canned form letter back. Next time I call them about this dumb shit they want to pass, I'm thinking I'll mention that if Republicans choose to vote for red flag laws I'll be forced to side with Democrats who want to get rid of police entirely to make sure I'm safe from getting no-knocked by a neighbor with a grudge. Hopefully that will get a bit more of their attention than the usual platitudes.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL got the same format letter from him also.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

and damn the GOP for always giving us a candidate that we dislike, but is "better than what the dhimmicrats are running".  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top