Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2021 7:10:27 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me about this area? Pro's and con's, I might be taking a job there soon.

I have looked on Zillow for houses, and as everyone knows, prices are crazy right now. Anyone have a suggestion on where to buy that is a reasonable distance from Sarasota?
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me about this area? Pro's and con's, I might be taking a job there soon.

I have looked on Zillow for houses, and as everyone knows, prices are crazy right now. Anyone have a suggestion on where to buy that is a reasonable distance from Sarasota?
View Quote

What type of place are you looking for OP?  Do you want something near a school, or with over an acre?  I've lived in the Sarasota / Bradenton area all my adult life.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What type of place are you looking for OP?  Do you want something near a school, or with over an acre?  I've lived in the Sarasota / Bradenton area all my adult life.
View Quote

Anything under $200k if possible, but I may have to increase my budget or commute an hour. Also, it seem many of the Condos have crazy HOA fees ($500), so I'd rather just buy a house.

It's just me, no family or pets or anything.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Anything under $200k if possible, but I may have to increase my budget or commute an hour. Also, it seem many of the Condos have crazy HOA fees ($500), so I'd rather just buy a house.

It's just me, no family or pets or anything.
View Quote

Unfortunately $200K isn’t going to get you far in Sarasota.  Honestly it won’t get you into a house at all unless it’s a complete gut job, a condo/townhouse, or somewhere in the hood.  I would stay out of the city limits as well.  

Look South in North Port with that budget, or North in Parrish, it’s more affordable, but will also be a 30-45 minute commute.  Hell, houses in Venice are $275k+ nowadays.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unfortunately $200K isn’t going to get you far in Sarasota.  Honestly it won’t get you into a house at all unless it’s a complete gut job, a condo/townhouse, or somewhere in the hood.  I would stay out of the city limits as well.  

Look South in North Port with that budget, or North in Parrish, it’s more affordable, but will also be a 30-45 minute commute.  Hell, houses in Venice are $275k+ nowadays.
View Quote

I think Venice or North Port are going to be his best bet. And I definitely second what you said about staying out of the city of Sarasota.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys! I'd rather not commute but I probably won't have a choice considering a decent house in Sarasota is 350k or more.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks guys! I'd rather not commute but I probably won't have a choice considering a decent house in Sarasota is 350k or more.
View Quote

My girlfriend and I just started the construction process on a place in a nicer development in Fruitville. The price went up $35k between when I put down a deposit in April to get on the list and today when my lot was assigned. It will be the last house I ever build, period.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think Venice or North Port are going to be his best bet. And I definitely second what you said about staying out of the city of Sarasota.
View Quote

$200k is gonna be tough even in Venice/N Port unless it's tiny and/or a fixer upper.  If you do find one you better jump on it.  I'd suggest using a realtor because some places hit the market and sell before they ever make it to Zillow.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Op, sarasota is a nice town, it's not too big and not too small. As far as buying a house, can you rent for a while? Rentals as well as housing prices are pricey but I think we are headed for a market crash or at least an adjustment downwards. The same thing happened in 2008. It was bloody.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Op, sarasota is a nice town, it's not too big and not too small. As far as buying a house, can you rent for a while? Rentals as well as housing prices are pricey but I think we are headed for a market crash or at least an adjustment downwards. The same thing happened in 2008. It was bloody.
View Quote

Of course I can rent, I’d prefer not to. If this works out and I can’t find something, I may just buy a travel trailer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#11]
maybe head north to manatee county?
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m in Palmetto and work in Sarasota. If I get an early start it’s about 30 minutes down 41. House we bought was 3 BR with a huge detached workshop with AC for just under 200K about 5 years ago. Of course now it’s more like 350K….no HOA. Not a buyers market round here anywhere, really….
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I live and work in Sarasota. The majority of people I work with live in North Port, Manatee County, and even Port Charlotte. Sarasota, Lakewood Ranch, and Venice are just too expensive for most especially right now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#14]
You can score deals close to the hood off fruitville, it's not that bad. If you are on 12th street, you are too close, you'll want to go back south a couple blocks at least.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/458-N-Jefferson-Ave-Sarasota-FL-34237/47615524_zpid/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top