Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2021 6:46:23 AM EDT
Does anybody on here have any property near Ocala national Forest?

I'm hoping to buy a small piece of land to do some camping on. Trying to figure out exactly what I'm getting myself into.

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have property near there but I'm sure some members here do.

Depending on where you're talking about, expect anything you build or leave behind will get stolen or damaged. There's A LOT of transient traffic associated with the area due to the remoteness of some areas.

Good luck, it's nice to have a get away place.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
We bought up in the NE corner of ONF 11 years ago and have been full timing out here for the last 4. We're roughly 5 mi west of Lk George. We're on a beautiful lake 2.5 mi down a lime rock singletrack and we and our neighbors have never had any crime in our little community. Guess even the dumbest methbilly knows better than to do rip offs with only one way to escape. Dear friend has a off grid cabin in Ft McCoy and just got robbed of 4 PV panels, 4 Trojan batteries and 2 gas gennies. Deputy told him the larceny crime in this area is among the highest in the state. The shitbirds are thick out here.

We're actually looking for waterfront on the St Johns now. Something with enough water out front for a small trawler.

Do your homework, good luck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]
With that amount of crime it'll be just like living here in Miami
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Sending you a PM.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sending you a PM.

Dan
View Quote

It won't let me message you back it keeps selling my mailbox is full it's not

But I'm trying to figure out what all is really involved in buying land up there..

I know at the very least I'll need to get it partially cleared.
I'll need to figure out how much and how difficult installing a well getting electricity and a septic tank will be.

I'll need to know if there's any zoning regulations that prohibit me from putting a camper there.

Will the land need to be surveyed or are they already marked pretty well?

There's probably about a thousand other questions I haven't even thought of yet
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you are stuck on that area, consider the stretch of nothingness between Gainesville and Cedar Key. I see lots of for sale signs when I drive from Newberry to Trenton to Chiefland and then the back roads to Shell Mound or CK proper....

My mom's neighbor has 30 acres out near Rosewood he uses for bow hunting...
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It won't let me message you back it keeps selling my mailbox is full it's not

But I'm trying to figure out what all is really involved in buying land up there.. Not much difference than any other area of Florida

I know at the very least I'll need to get it partially cleared.Non cleared land will be cheaper.  You can get a lot which has little to no clearing and save money.
I'll need to figure out how much and how difficult installing a well getting electricity and a septic tank will be.This depends on the area.  If there is power in the area it shouldn't be to hard.  Most of the Forest is Clay Electric Co-op.  A septic and well shouldn't be to much of an issue as long as you can get power there.

I'll need to know if there's any zoning regulations that prohibit me from putting a camper there.You see a lot of people living in campers in the forest.

Will the land need to be surveyed or are they already marked pretty well?Get the land surveyed and a title search completed on it.  There is a lot of issues that can arise depending on what area you purchase land in.

There's probably about a thousand other questions I haven't even thought of yet
View Quote

I answered in red type your questions.

As far as the crime portion it is not as bad as it seems.  (I have inside knowledge of the crime rate) The forest has its fair share of drugs but that is anywhere. The upside to the forest is there can be great locations if you search and due your research. The down side is it can take a while to get any type of supplies.  There are numerous campgrounds in the forest which are a mix of private and public.  Drag your camper up here and use the it as a base to look for an area to purchase.  I can probably answer most of your questions due to my employment.  If you buy up here made good friends with the neighbors and they will look after your property.  If you have anymore questions you can shoot me an email at my screen name at embarqmaildotcom.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Unless you are stuck on that area, consider the stretch of nothingness between Gainesville and Cedar Key. I see lots of for sale signs when I drive from Newberry to Trenton to Chiefland and then the back roads to Shell Mound or CK proper....

My mom's neighbor has 30 acres out near Rosewood he uses for bow hunting...
View Quote

Agree 1000%... Dixie, Gilcrest, Lafayette, Suwannee, Union, Bradford, Taylor, Madison, Jefferson, Hamilton, Columbia, and Baker are the counties I'd be looking at. For the most part, these areas are relatively untouched by the growth in Florida's population.

My brother and I have 63 acres in Jefferson and it's well off the beaten path, it's where I host my firearms classes and it's a fantastic place to get a way. Great hunting and I also lease an adjoining 110 acres. Many times when I go there I simply don't want to come back to where I live now. My brother now lives on the property in a house that was initially built in 1895... my dad started the restoration process years ago but passed away before completion, my brother and I finished it. Now we have a homestead exemption on it to lower the taxes.

We've had the place since the mid 1980's and (knock on wood) we've never had any issues even though no on lived on the property for years.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I would love to do that, let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you Dan that's some good information!!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I just got off the phone with a real estate agent...... Looks like the county will not even issue a permit for electric well or septic without approved plans to build a residence on a property.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well I just got off the phone with a real estate agent...... Looks like the county will not even issue a permit for electric well or septic without approved plans to build a residence on a property.
View Quote
Not that I condone this, but you can normally buy generic plans affordably online to skirt this issue. The permit office just needs to check a box on a form saying you have plans.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not that I condone this, but you can normally buy generic plans affordably online to skirt this issue. The permit office just needs to check a box on a form saying you have plans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubt it.  The approved plans part is usually understood to mean permit is being issued.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

A work around might be a piece of property which has a crappy trailer on it.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/16841-27th-Pl_Lake-City_FL_32024_M90607-07256

Check out the satellite view - looks like you have a pre-built shooting range, borders of oaks next to open fields, and a pond on the next lot over.

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Only time I was in Ocala a 65 year old woman tried to rape me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Just remember, Ocala has a special kind of crazy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Only time I was in Ocala a 65 year old woman tried to rape me.
View Quote

She hot?
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#20]
reach out to me if you need some help on vacant land near ocala
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got undeveloped property in St Johns County. It's zoned Open Rural (OR) and I got a permit for electric and well without a building plan.

Open Rural zoning allows private (not commercial) raising of animals and agriculture without a residence. You need water (a well) for the animals and garden, therefore you need electricity to power the well pump.  

I was only allowed a 20 amp service at the box, but that's plenty if you're only running a camper.

St Johns County is a real pain in the ass about anything building/permitting/taxes, etc... so I can't see Marion County being worse.

The building department didn't want to issue me the permits, but I had highlighted copies of the relevant County zoning ordnances in hand and after a few rounds of "Let me call my boss" they were obliged to write me the permits.

As far as a septic permit, I can't think of a work around for that permit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A work around might be a piece of property which has a crappy trailer on it.

Dan
View Quote

We looked for this for a few years, we came close but never found the right one to pull it off. We were gonna build a 24' by 30' pole barn behind the trailer. Put our TT under one side and screen in an outdoor living area/cook shack under the other. We gave up and decided to look for fresh water waterfront (no storm tidal surges). Glad we did, there is nothing that completes the Florida dream than a place on the water with a boat accessible 24/7.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:36:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a friend tell me about the rainbow people in the Ocala National Forest. I thought he was joking. Later, I was camping on some private land that was adjacent to the O.N.F. and at some point in the evening, a large group of hippies came by banging on drums, tambourines, etc. They made a decent sized bonfire, danced around it, sang, smoked weed, etc. Had their own little burning man. Some point the next day, they marched out. One of them got into it with one of the guys from our group when the stranger tried to come over onto the private land, but nothing really came of it.

The thing I remember most was just the surprise that my friend wasn't making these rainbow people up. I told my wife about them later and she had the same initial reaction I did, skepticism. It was I like told her I saw bigfoot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#24]
It's doable.
I live on the eastern border " in town" if that's what you'd call it lol.
Raw land is there.
Biggest issues.

Cell /internet- check providers.
Crine- well it's the ONF. , methbillies to rainbows to drunk college kids , and locals.
Distance- depending on where you look...its gonna be 40 miles to any box store or " city".

Spend the day driving around......you'll see it all.

As to rainbows.
That's q to 2 months a year ( Jan thru March (and they aren't like the used to be...its smaller more spaced out groups vs let's burn half of salt springs down like in the past.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top