Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2021 3:52:29 PM EDT
Desantis signed the start date to be July 1.

Make your big internet purchases soon.  Govt needs more of your money.

(Of course, remit all taxes you must on your own.)
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Only seems fair.  Out of state companies should not be able to skirt paying sales taxes.

And they are using the revenue to cut taxes for Florida businesses.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I suggest reading the article before trashing Desantis. He is making them cut taxes elsewhere instead of just spending the new money. I would love to not pay sales tax on my business rent each month.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Florida Senate Finance and Tax Committee approved a bill Thursday requiring out-of-state retailers to collect sales tax on internet purchases.
Economists estimate it will bring in more than $1 billion a year, but a new twist being added means the extra cash won’t go toward solving the pandemic created budget shortfall.
Florida is one of only two states that don’t require out-of-state retailers to collect the sales tax due from online purchases.
“We’re down to Missouri and Florida,” said Grace Lovett with the Florida Retail Federation.
Instead, Floridians are supposed to fill out a form four times a year and pay what they owe.
A Senate committee was told that’s not happening.
“We only have about 3% compliance right now, and really what we are doing is putting consumers in a position where they are not following the law,” said Senate sponsor Joe Gruters.
Under the bill, most retailers selling more than $100,000 a year online will have to start collecting Florida’s 6% sales tax at the point of sale, starting July 1.
“We are voting here to force people (to pay) what they owe us, and that is it. This is not an increase,” said Sen. Janet Cruz.
But the governor has shaken things up.
He wants any added revenue from the collection of internet sales tax to be offset by tax cuts elsewhere.
The Governor didn’t include that money in his budget announcement last month.
“Well, look. If they want to do internet sales, what’s the revenue increase? Just reduce the overall sales tax and make it revenue neutral if they think that’s something that will help mom-and-pop stores. I just don’t want them to use that as a way to try and raise taxes on Floridians,” Gov. Ron DeSantis said.
The likely recipient is businesses who rent space, but Democrats on the committee questioned the logic of a tax break during a pandemic.
“We have a lot of social services that we’re talking about having to make cuts to,” said Sen. Lori Berman.
But without an offsetting tax break, the idea could die on the governor’s desk.
Florida is the only state that collects a sales tax on commercial rent payments.
Tenants currently pay 5.5%.
View Quote

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/2021/02/18/collecting-internet-taxes-in-florida-has-a-new-twist/
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suggest reading the article before trashing Desantis. He is making them cut taxes elsewhere instead of just spending the new money. I would love to not pay sales tax on my business rent each month.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/2021/02/18/collecting-internet-taxes-in-florida-has-a-new-twist/
View Quote

Using a revenue neutral model is something I support here... and I definitely support removing the commercial "rent" tax because that's exactly what it is. Seems like its original intent was to target all the import companies in Miami that were importing tax free and using the Florida Infrastructure but then as all good intentions tend to do, they start punishing the small business all over.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#5]
So how many small businesses in other states will know or follow Florida law?  Say I buy something from a Mom and Pop vendor in Montana, are they going to charge sales tax?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So how many small businesses in other states will know or follow Florida law?  Say I buy something from a Mom and Pop vendor in Montana, are they going to charge sales tax?
View Quote

they will if they are using an exchange of some kind. The exchange will automatically collect the tax for them in most cases of E commerce business platforms.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Yay team, screw people least able to comply.

Taxes and death taxes...

Pardon  "death and taxes."
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Most places online already do this. At least the ones I have bought from.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a fan of this nor a fan of how it was done in the dead of night when nobody has access to the house and senate floor. RPOF was behind this but Desantis should have vetoed. Really the first thing I can say he's done wrong thus far, though we need him to start pushing for 2A rights restoration such as constitutional and campus carry, open carry, 2A sanctuary state status, etc.

“We are voting here to force people (to pay) what they owe us, and that is it. This is not an increase,” said Sen. Janet Cruz.
View Quote

Gotta love that Dem logic. what we owe you? not an increase? Ok Janet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Did someone say Dem logic?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Internet sales tax is the biggest tax hike that's been applied to citizens for years.  

Yet, for the all incessant whining from the Republican party about how they are the party of low taxes, they've been quiet as a church mouse for all it.

Maybe, just maybe, all they really care about as a party is low taxes for their donor base of corporations and high income people.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Out of state companies should not be able to skirt paying sales taxes.
View Quote

Yes they should, just as Florida companies should be able to sell tex free to other states.
The internet became what it is because it was free.
Now, as always the government shows up after we've built something with their hands out despite the fact that they contributed nothing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

retailers selling more than $100,000 a year online
 >$100K  not exactly mom and pop.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

retailers selling more than $100,000 a year online

100k gross is really not that much for an online sales number. My mother does over 8k per month part time on Etsy making wool mittens and slippers. And that's really just a hobby for her!
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes they should, just as Florida companies should be able to sell tex free to other states.
The internet became what it is because it was free.
Now, as always the government shows up after we've built something with their hands out despite the fact that they contributed nothing.
View Quote

Essentially, this is a tax on amazon.  Amazon has essentially monopolized online sales.  

Tax the hell out of them.

Even better, make them close for a year "to stop the spread of Covid".  This will allow the smaller stores to catch up since they were shut down a year.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Internet sales tax is the biggest tax hike that's been applied to citizens for years.  

Yet, for the all incessant whining from the Republican party about how they are the party of low taxes, they've been quiet as a church mouse for all it.

Maybe, just maybe, all they really care about as a party is low taxes for their donor base of corporations and high income people.
View Quote

Not sure how they have been able to skirt sales taxes for years.  As sales move online, that means less revenue for states.  They have got to recapture that revenue somehow.

Florida is using that money to cut other taxes, which makes perfect sense to me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Personally all this is going to do for me is just curtail my purchases, or buy private at flea markets and Craigslist. I bet I'm not the only one.

Good job, government.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not sure how they have been able to skirt sales taxes for years.  As sales move online, that means less revenue for states.  They have got to recapture that revenue somehow.

Florida is using that money to cut other taxes, which makes perfect sense to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the "Economics 101" part that is being missed. There is no Income tax, no inheritance tax and no estate tax in FL. Coming from the North East I can tell you those taxes are killers.

There is the basic appearance that somehow all taxes are either illegal or inherently evil. What I would say is that you can have a government or infrastructure. Florida is near the bottom third of the US for Property tax rates and load as well. You can't keep all these rates low without making up that revenue somewhere else.

Sales tax and tourism taxes are a huge reason for the low rates.... And I personally am ok with that. You can choose to moderate what you purchase if you want to pay less tax. When you have an income tax, the better you do, the worse you feel!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Essentially, this is a tax on amazon customers.  Amazon has essentially monopolized online sales.  

Tax the hell out of them.

Even better, make them close for a year "to stop the spread of Covid".  This will allow the smaller stores to catch up since they were shut down a year.
View Quote

Fixed it for you.

Amazon won't feel any pain from this at all.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Amazon won't feel any pain from this at all.
View Quote

Why is anyone on this forum still buying anything from amazon???  They are not on our side.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why is anyone on this forum still buying anything from amazon???  They are not on our side.

View Quote

I have this fight with my wife every day. I heard that Mike Lindell was starting a new marketplace - and since the man DOES ACTUALLY appear to understand economics, i am at least a tiny bit hopeful that there could be some opportunities coming for competition.

Just remember one thing: amazon makes almost no real money through their resale marketplace. All their revenue comes through their cloud and web hosting services.... and you might be surprised how many of the websites you touch on a daily basis could be turned off by that company on a whim (i.e. the Parler Fiasco)
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't, but millions of people still do.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought this was already law. Every purchase I make online has FL sales tax included.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:49:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I thought this was already law. Every purchase I make online has FL sales tax included.
View Quote

No. USSC ruled that states could collect sales tax from internet sales. As I understand it, FL didn't have a law on the book explicitly allowing them to do so, and it hasn't been enforceable until they recently passed this new law.

Some internet stores automatically just added the tax if you lived in a state with a sales tax. I found many did not, and went out of my way to shop from them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is the country where whatever device you posted this from on our side?

People buy from Amazon for the same reason you bought the foreign made computer/phone you used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top