Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2021 5:36:29 PM EDT
Hey wanted to ask the FL members what is the best time to visit Orlando for the warmer weather and to avoid hurricane season?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Florida starts to get hot about May or so.  And Florida heat is hot - oppressively hot in the summer time, especially if you're not used to it.  

Most years it rains for 10-15 minutes in the afternoon, just enough to get the humidity back to 99%, then the sun comes out to roast you alive.

So now to May is better than the height of summer if you don't like the heat.  Everyplace has AC so it depends what you're doing.

For the parks, sometimes the heat can clear things out.  It wears out the Yankees such that after a 125 dollar dinner of fries and burgers, Dad is hot, tired, and PO at having spent a fortune that day, so it's back to the room, leaving the park much less crowded at night.

Orlando is far inland enough that it won't get a direct hurricane hit like a place on the coast.  Height of hurricane season is August and September.  Not much chance of one really impacting your visit, and worst case, you just leave early, so I would not bother factoring that in.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Florida starts to get hot about May or so.  And Florida heat is hot - oppressively hot in the summer time, especially if you're not used to it.  

Most years it rains for 10-15 minutes in the afternoon, just enough to get the humidity back to 99%, then the sun comes out to roast you alive.

So now to May is better than the height of summer if you don't like the heat.  Everyplace has AC so it depends what you're doing.

For the parks, sometimes the heat can clear things out.  It wears out the Yankees such that after a 125 dollar dinner of fries and burgers, Dad is hot, tired, and PO at having spent a fortune that day, so it's back to the room, leaving the park much less crowded at night.

Orlando is far inland enough that it won't get a direct hurricane hit like a place on the coast.  Height of hurricane season is August and September.  Not much chance of one really impacting your visit, and worst case, you just leave early, so I would not bother factoring that in.

View Quote

Great info thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you constrained by the school schedule at all?
Best time to visit is when the kids are in school.
Worst times are Spring Break, start and end of summer, Christmas and Thanksgiving.
Late January to the end of February are the best times if visiting the parks are in your plans.
It might be cold, but it's Florida cold, typically 60 degrees during the day.
First two weeks of November (between Halloween and Thanksgiving) are the second best choice.
Hurricanes have closed the parks, by the time they get to Orlando they aren't hurricane force anymore but it's still a nasty storm and can spawn tornadoes.
Overall a minor worry.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah we're planning on going to Disney world. Call me crazy but I want to go when it's hot and humid. Want to enjoy the pool. Also, I assume FL isn't goin full retard on masking? Will people trip if I don't wear a mask?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah we're planning on going to Disney world. Call me crazy but I want to go when it's hot and humid. Want to enjoy the pool. Also, I assume FL isn't goin full retard on masking? Will people trip if I don't wear a mask?
View Quote

Disney will trip if you don't mask up. They have mask nazis everywhere. Elsewhere it depends on the business. Some care, some don't. Out in public, generally nobody cares.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Disney just announced that it's okay to lower your mask to take a picture...they are still all in.
Outside of there sanity is slowly returning.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah the masking in Orlando follows the likely political bend of the business. Gun stores and harley dealerships less mask-y than Disney.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

1. Okay, I'll call you crazy.  I'm born and raised in Orlando. You really don't want to come when it's hot and humid.  Hot? Sure - Humid- NO!!!!

2. Why are you really coming?  Bringing the family/kids/grandkids to Disney? Or a treat vacation for you and your wife? Serious question as you don't want to be at Disney in the middle of summer when most schools are out. I am not exaggerating when I say wait times for rides are 45-90 minutes per ride, and lines for a "quick bite" for lunch are 30min+, so you will get to go on 3-4 rides per day standing in miserable heat.  It really is not enjoyable. You will only see a fraction of the park and wish you weren't born the next day after you realize you forgot to put sunblock on and you are lobster red and it hurts to blink. Then the rest of your week is screwed.  Best times at the park; depending on what passes you have: Opening to 11:00am and after 4:00pm.  You would be surprised how it empties after 4pm.  April/May are good times so are Sep/Oct.  June-Aug are the worst as they are busy and can reach capacity quickly. I am not sure if they are still running on lowered capacity due to Covid.  Check the websites.

3. Floridian's secret:  Look at the annual pass "Blackout Dates" for Florida residents for Disney.  DO NOT GO on those dates. That's when it is most crowded and you get the least bang for your buck.

4. For the pool at the resort.  Get out to the pool early and put your towels out on some loungers with an umbrella to mark your spot.  It gets crowded quick, so claim your spot early. As stated in #1 - swear sunscreen and re-apply. Also - when dining - make reservations well in advance when ever possible and be willing to eat a little earlier or later than you are used to.  There is a good chance that a table at where you are eating for dinner one night had a reservation made a year in advance by a travel agent.

5. Masks - For the park, yes, they enforce it. Anywhere else outside people are mask-less. Resorts most likely have indoor policies but pool areas should be fine.

Enjoy your time down here!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

1. Okay, I'll call you crazy.  I'm born and raised in Orlando. You really don't want to come when it's hot and humid.  Hot? Sure - Humid- NO!!!!

2. Why are you really coming?  Bringing the family/kids/grandkids to Disney? Or a treat vacation for you and your wife? Serious question as you don't want to be at Disney in the middle of summer when most schools are out. I am not exaggerating when I say wait times for rides are 45-90 minutes per ride, and lines for a "quick bite" for lunch are 30min+, so you will get to go on 3-4 rides per day standing in miserable heat.  It really is not enjoyable. You will only see a fraction of the park and wish you weren't born the next day after you realize you forgot to put sunblock on and you are lobster red and it hurts to blink. Then the rest of your week is screwed.  Best times at the park; depending on what passes you have: Opening to 11:00am and after 4:00pm.  You would be surprised how it empties after 4pm.  April/May are good times so are Sep/Oct.  June-Aug are the worst as they are busy and can reach capacity quickly. I am not sure if they are still running on lowered capacity due to Covid.  Check the websites.

3. Floridian's secret:  Look at the annual pass "Blackout Dates" for Florida residents for Disney.  DO NOT GO on those dates. That's when it is most crowded and you get the least bang for your buck.

4. For the pool at the resort.  Get out to the pool early and put your towels out on some loungers with an umbrella to mark your spot.  It gets crowded quick, so claim your spot early. As stated in #1 - swear sunscreen and re-apply. Also - when dining - make reservations well in advance when ever possible and be willing to eat a little earlier or later than you are used to.  There is a good chance that a table at where you are eating for dinner one night had a reservation made a year in advance by a travel agent.

5. Masks - For the park, yes, they enforce it. Anywhere else outside people are mask-less. Resorts most likely have indoor policies but pool areas should be fine.

Enjoy your time down here!
View Quote

Good info thank you. Yes my Wife wants to take our son and we've both always wanted to go to Disney world just once. My wife wanted to go in Nov but I fear it'll be too cold then. Sept would seem like a good compromise.  Looking to stay at the Disney springs area.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#10]
November usually isn’t bad, weather-wise.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Probably about perfect right now, in month or later not so much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top