Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2020 7:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spartacus2002]
So hurricane season is upon us, and I'd like to have a consolidated post for resources to understand the probability and magnitude of danger.  Here are some useful links, if you have links to suggest then please post them and I'll add them to the op.  Maybe a mod can tack it.

National Hurricane Center website.

National Weather Service Doppler Radar images.

Windy.com.  Can use overlays for wind direction, rain, thunder, temperature, air pressure, etc.

National Storm Surge Hazard Maps.  This one is cool and frightening at the same time.    You can zoom in on an area and click from Cat 1 through Cat 5 to see where and how deep the hurricane storm surge would be.  Hand-in-hand with that is the Florida "Know Your Zone" evacuation zone mapping tool.  

State of Florida power outage maps.

Florida disaster geoportal from Florida Division of Emergency Management

Mike's Weather Page, aka SpaghettiModels.com.  This is a very busy website, but has a lot of good info.

Tropical Tidbits.  An Atlantic-hurricane blog by a guy with a PhD in meteorology.  Lots of great tools.

WTVT Fox-13 Tampa Bay's hurricane center.  Lots of great info about Florida/Caribbean hurricanes here, including computer models, wind forecasts, etc.

Down Detector  with info on cell network coverage.  Pick your provider, find the map.

For those traveling or bugging out, GasBuddy Gasoline Availability Tracker allows you to put in your location data and get info as to fuel availability, and Florida Traffic Map shows you where traffic is bogged down as you plan your travels.  

Zello app.  For voice comms over smartphone, push-to-talk similar to CB radio.  We can set up event-specific channels with passwords.  We used this in FL during Irma in 2017, it was useful to trade info re gas availability, which sections of interstate were jammed, etc.  NOTE: it's best to password-protect the channel and give out the password by PM thru the site so it doesn't get taken over by jokers who interfere (yes, that happens).  The App is free for personal use, this website gives general info on the app.

Hope this helps!

PS any other state regularly affected by hurricanes is free to copy/paste this into a similar thread in your own HTF.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Great post!  Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Invest 92 is a good warm up of things to come.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LastRites:
Invest 92 is a good warm up of things to come.
View Quote

never heard of it. Link?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:10:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LastRites] [#6]
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:

never heard of it. Link?
View Quote
Pulled from my often viewed Mikes Weather page
I-92
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I-92
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

never heard of it. Link?
I-92

that's actually a Tropical Tidbits page about one specific storm.  I already have Tropical Tidbits listed above.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Great post. Let's hope we don't have a big one this year.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:48:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skopsko07734] [#10]
I'll share some of my favorite weather links with you guys.

Earthnull:  It shows winds and other things, you can play in the menu and change the values monitored, you can also change the units of measure for the wind speed:

Earthnull

SSEC Geostationary Satellite imagery:

Satellite Imagery

Live Lightning Map:

Live Lightning

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
For Hams...

https://www.sarnetfl.com/

Continual updates during storm. Statewide repeater system.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
EchoLink app for iphone

Must be a ham to use.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys, great links. Make sure you have current pics of all your shit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
So hurricane season is upon us, and I'd like to have a consolidated post for resources to understand the probability and magnitude of danger.  Here are some useful links, if you have links to suggest then please post them and I'll add them to the op.  Maybe a mod can tack it.

National Hurricane Center website.

National Weather Service Doppler Radar images.

Windy.com.  Can use overlays for wind direction, rain, thunder, temperature, air pressure, etc.

National Storm Surge Hazard Maps.  This one is cool and frightening at the same time.    You can zoom in on an area and click from Cat 1 through Cat 5 to see where and how deep the hurricane storm surge would be.  Hand-in-hand with that is the Florida "Know Your Zone" evacuation zone mapping tool.  

State of Florida power outage maps.

Florida disaster geoportal from Florida Division of Emergency Management

Mike's Weather Page, aka SpaghettiModels.com.  This is a very busy website, but has a lot of good info.

Tropical Tidbits.  An Atlantic-hurricane blog by a guy with a PhD in meteorology.  Lots of great tools.

WTVT Fox-13 Tampa Bay's hurricane center.  Lots of great info about Florida/Caribbean hurricanes here, including computer models, wind forecasts, etc.

Down Detector  with info on cell network coverage.  Pick your provider, find the map.

For those traveling or bugging out, GasBuddy Gasoline Availability Tracker allows you to put in your location data and get info as to fuel availability, and Florida Traffic Map shows you where traffic is bogged down as you plan your travels.  

Zello app.  For voice comms over smartphone, push-to-talk similar to CB radio.  We can set up event-specific channels with passwords.  We used this in FL during Irma in 2017, it was useful to trade info re gas availability, which sections of interstate were jammed, etc.  NOTE: it's best to password-protect the channel and give out the password by PM thru the site so it doesn't get taken over by jokers who interfere (yes, that happens).  The App is free for personal use, this website gives general info on the app.

Hope this helps!

PS any other state regularly affected by hurricanes is free to copy/paste this into a similar thread in your own HTF.
View Quote

IM Sent
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]
To all FL members that can help or may need help a Zello channel is set up IM me for channel name  and password

https://zello.com/personal/download/
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MrHold:
To all FL members that can help or may need help a Zello channel is set up IM me for channel name  and password

View Quote

We should be OK.
Going to move in to the house tomorrow night in case the stabbin cabin winds up in the pool.

Bridges are going to be closed, just no announcement yet as when it's going to happen.
We have a place to go on the west side of US#1 but the Mrs won't move.

Got everything outside stored as of now , well almost.

Merritt Island checking in !
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the links. I'm at the point I'm ready to welcome my overlord coronacane masters

2020 needs to fuck off.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 1:54:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrHold] [#18]
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

got it. thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Elsa Zello channel in team

Channel name  arfcomelsa

password set IM for password
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

I believe that goes up to 2018.

I've no idea how to even begin to remember where I found it on the net.

Obviously doesn't show strength of the hurricane.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:10:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: badredfish] [#23]
I will add this one to the mix....

Ventusky

https://www.ventusky.com/

Really neat - you can set the wind to what elevation that you want to look at then work with the date and time to what the model is showing.

This is one of the models that the NHC is using - lots of good info.

Red
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MrHold:
Elsa Zello channel in team

Channel name  arfcomelsa

password set IM for password
View Quote

Great. I'm back in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve been assigned to a Shelter if it’s needed. Hope it isn’t.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top