Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2020 6:50:05 AM EDT
What type of portable A/C unit do you keep on hand specifically for the hurricane season.

Since it will probably get used 2-3 times every 10 years, I don't want to spend a lot of cash but just something to keep comfortable in the rare occasion that power is actually lost.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
We keep a 120V window unit which is big enough for our master bedroom. It stays in the box in the closet. We've used it 3 times over the years and it's been worth every penny. And it's not too demanding on the 6500W generator.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CS223:
We keep a 120V window unit which is big enough for our master bedroom. It stays in the box in the closet. We've used it 3 times over the years and it's been worth every penny. And it's not too demanding on the 6500W generator.
View Quote

I got one of those ones that roll around on wheels from Wal-Mart but I have not tried it out. Would rather have the window unit but at the time (poor planning) that's all I could find.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Window units are surprising effective ive had one for years as a back up. Quick and easy to put in with no drain pan to empty.  Cost a little over $100 during winter at a big box clearance. It doesn't store well but the rolling floor models dont either. Window units are generally cheaper by a lot. My central AC went out mid summer a while back and my dealer was back logged so my little window unit kept parts of the house pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
What room size does the unit cover and what BTU?

Checked Lowes this weekend and they had :
Window unit 8,000btu up to 300sq ft for $390
Portable unit 8,500 btu up to 500 sq ft for $500
Portable unit 9,500 btu up to 600 sq ft for $600
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Ouch... those prices suck..my little one us actually a 5000 which is tiny  but it worked. I was doing a 20x15 room and used fans to make most of the house ok for a few days im in north FL. I was using Walmart. The smaller units are managable for smaller people. My little one was under 50 pounds. It allowed kids and smaller people to manage it. Some of us may not be able to be at home during a mess to keep everything working, smaller gen sets, smaller gas cans, smaller  AC units. Walmart has some 8000s for $238. Its all made in china stuff anyway I think.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#6]
5k-6k btu window units are very efficient. The portable style stand up units are 25% less efficient than that standard lil window unit. Mini split systems are the most efficient system but requires more of a permanent installation.

I bought a ge 5k unit for 120 at Walmart and it can keep a bedroom cool enough to get through the days. I ran my fridge, that 5k btu and TV with occasional microwave and coffee maker on 24hrs a day x 4 days on 10gals a day with my dewalt 7k genny.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
My .02, with a little help from experience, is a 5gal bucket w/lid and a battery powered fan. Fill the bucket half full of ice and mount the fan so that is blows air across the ice and on to you. It's surprisingly effective, and people won't be as motivated to steal it as they would a real AC unit. The first thing that will show up after the storm are truck loads of ice and water. Fuel and elec. will take a lot longer. So you should have plenty of ice to feed your contraption.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Frigidaire 8000 btu window unit.  Only uses 700 watts when the compressor is on.  I paid right at $200 for it on sale last year.  Before that, I had an older unit  that I borrowed from a family member.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Just saw THIS on Woot.

Any feedback on these?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JThompson:
Just saw THIS on Woot.

Any feedback on these?
View Quote

Again they are 25% less energy efficient. Also very loud compared to window units. I have both but there are very good videos on YouTube that explains why they don't work as well. Check one of them out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I get what you are saying.
Its the "portable" part what I like.
Easier than moving a window A/C unit from room to room.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a portable since the window in my master slides sideways to open and is about 58" tall. I cut a piece of 5/8 plywood and cut a hole for the vent. Painted it white to match the frame and wrapped it in weather stripping. Easy to pop in and out. I bought the AC right before Irma. The wife and I like to sleep cold so I've left it there ever since Irma. Been running every night. It's a 10k BTU Honeywell.
View Quote

Similar here.
Ordered a portable. During canes our slider door gets boarded up. Simple way is roll portable to the door attach vent to pre cut hole, run cord to a small inverter gen for night use.
My house had a old thru the wall unit. Huge monster, it took a shit last year. I replaced it this spring with a small 8k+ 110v unit. Between the two i can pick and choose where to cool. 4k gen and 1k gen/inverter to power them.if need be.
Plus.
Fans......lottsa fans lol.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Check the amp ratings on the A/C Mod & Ser # sticker to see what wattage you need to run it. Amps times 120 volts gives you wattage.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Saw a palet of small window units at Walmart this morning for $130 a unit. 5k btu.. just saying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top