Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2020 1:52:53 PM EDT
Hey all, i have two questions.

#1 I'm a CCRN planning in moving to the panhandle early next year (dont worry I'm not a dirty yankee Ohio native, born/raised republican redneck in NC)... for any nurses that obtained the FL license, dod yiu have to do hard fingerprint cards and then have them convert to digital? The license site is misleading and gives two sets of instructions,  and their phone wait is super long since its through the health department...
#2 I've done some basic research,  but where should I be looking when I come down that way to scope out housing and living areas? I prefer semi rural to full rural but short(ish) drive to water access and marinas, definitely looking panhandle but may consider somewhat more southern, although I'd rather be back with my countryfolk.... and obviously needs a decent hospital to work at nearby....
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife went to this place:  Fast Fingerprints

She went to the one on Bethel Road in Columbus.  I got the feeling they did a lot of those for people getting their FL license.

Can't help you with Panhandle living though.  I moved to Tampa last fall from Ohio, couldn't be happier with the decision, although we're considering moving a bit further south (Bradenton/Sarasota) to get into a smaller city.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By copperhead035:
My wife went to this place:  Fast Fingerprints

She went to the one on Bethel Road in Columbus.  I got the feeling they did a lot of those for people getting their FL license.

Can't help you with Panhandle living though.  I moved to Tampa last fall from Ohio, couldn't be happier with the decision, although we're considering moving a bit further south (Bradenton/Sarasota) to get into a smaller city.
View Quote

Thanks! Tampa must be short some RNs... I get recruiting emails almost daily from that area...
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the "shortage" is everywhere. It seems to be a great career path. My Daughter and SIL are both OR RNs and moved to Tn. a couple years ago. They had their choice of hospitals, shifts, pretty much whatever they wanted.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't help with the fingerprint issue.  But, if coming to the panhandle, don't overlook: Eglin AFB, Ft. Walton Beach, Gulf Breeze.  All have hospitals and are more laid back areas than Pensacola, but close enough to P'cola to go to the bars/dining/shopping.  All offer quick access to  semi rural to full rural but short(ish) drive to water access and marinas.

FWIW: My wife(FNP) worked at the Eglin AFB hospital till she retired.  She loved the work conditions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#5]
OP  In case you did not know.  The 4 counties normally considered the panhandle are (west to east) Escambia (Pensacola) Santa Rosa (Gulf Breeze & Navarre), Okaloosa (Mary Esther, Fort Walton Beach and Destin) and Walton (I rarely go there, so I’ll leave it for others).

Look at the map at the link.  Click on the link, then click on the square  with Public Access Map.  On it, Blue is water (duh), white is civilian and EVERY other color is Military.  Pensacola is just off the left edge.

Eglin AFB Public Access Map

The area below Eglin AFB is suburban with pockets of semi-rural.  This is where I live and all houses are on 1.1+ acre lots 1/2 to 1/3 thickly wooded with the southern remainder lawn/house/beach. North of Eglin AFB is suburban to semi-rural the north of I10 is mostly full rural.  

Jackson Guard is the natural resources division of Eglin AFB.  Anyone can take an online class and buy a pass to hunt & fish there.  You have to go to the link above to review the map for daily closures for training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top