Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2020 3:49:05 PM EDT
I was one of the lucky Floridians who managed to get an approved unemployment claim. It took like 40 attempts but I finally got one through and they started paying me - everything was good.

Now I am back working full time again and I don’t need unemployment anymore, hopefully not ever again.

Well, the state apparently decided to reduce strain on their filing website by waiving the weekly claim requirement to get paid; they are just sending the payment out every week automatically. The previous method to stop claiming unemployment payments was literally just to not physically claim unemployment anymore once you get back to work. Now, they just pay you every week without being asked to do it each time.

There is not a “Please Stop Paying Me” button on their website and their call center is unreachable. As much as I like getting money, I don’t like theft by taking.

How do I get the State of Florida to stop sending me money I’m not owed?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was one of the lucky Floridians who managed to get an approved unemployment claim. It took like 40 attempts but I finally got one through and they started paying me - everything was good.

Now I am back working full time again and I don’t need unemployment anymore, hopefully not ever again.

Well, the state apparently decided to reduce strain on their filing website by waiving the weekly claim requirement to get paid; they are just sending the payment out every week automatically. The previous method to stop claiming unemployment payments was literally just to not physically claim unemployment anymore once you get back to work. Now, they just pay you every week without being asked to do it each time.

There is not a “Please Stop Paying Me” button on their website and their call center is unreachable. As much as I like getting money, I don’t like theft by taking.

How do I get the State of Florida to stop sending me money I’m not owed?
View Quote

Document what they've sent you when compared to when you started working or perhaps started getting paid from starting working.  Don't spend it, just stick it in a savings account.  Send 'em a snail mail letter.  If you have a buddy who is a lawyer or can get a cheap/free consult ask if you can give them a time frame to respond before the $ stays as yours.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eye-gor:

Document what they've sent you when compared to when you started working or perhaps started getting paid from starting working.  Don't spend it, just stick it in a savings account.  Send 'em a snail mail letter.  If you have a buddy who is a lawyer or can get a cheap/free consult ask if you can give them a time frame to respond before the $ stays as yours.

View Quote

Oh sure, I’m keeping track of it and I won’t spend any of it. They do clearly outline that overpayments must be paid back so there’ll be no keeping the money.

I just think it would be pretty convenient if there were some way to make them stop.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
You know how on a Windows computer if you want to turn the computer off, you begin the process by pressing a button marked "Start"? Well, this is one of those, I suspect.

Go onto the website as if to file a claim for another week.  One of the first questions you will be asked about the chosen week is something like "Did you work this week?".  Answer "Yes", and you should solve the problem, at least for that week.  Whether or not you have to do that every week, I do not know.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Been having the other problem, that is not getting any payment yet or getting the application complete due to the outdated website. In the process came across a listing of phone numbers yesterday for all county unemployment offices in the state (107 in total).  No luck under the jobseeker listing, either busy number or the automated press a number system that goes nowhere. Then tried the employer column. Talked to a live person within three rings, very helpful in directing me to the new official COVID unemployment fla.gov website, to fill out applications. May be beneficial in your circumstance.

Www.fileunemployment.org/Florida/office-locations
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]
{Sarcasm} You could act like a lot of Arfcom now....hey! They sent it to me! I'm gonna spend it!! I have no shame. {sarcasm}

Kudos to you for at least trying to be honest and having pride in yourself!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top