Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2020 4:05:39 PM EDT
I start a new job in May. I have some family who is helping me out by putting me up for a few weeks to a month while I get myself settled in at the new job.

The job is on the north end of Jacksonville in Imeson Park. I'm a fan of living in a rural setting. Any housing within 30 minutes of that area?

I'm into bass fishing and it looks like the lower basin is going to be mostly brackish water. Am I going to have to drive an hour or more to get to good fresh water bass fishing in the middle basin? What are taxes like on boats?

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You will want to live on the Southside of Jacksonville, near Baymeadows/St.Johns area.....just commute to Northside for work and then hurry back to the Southside lol.

I'm in Jax now for a little while after being in Tampa for a few years, I like it here and the beaches are better than I expected

Taxes on boats I'm am unsure of but I know you should be able to find a deal on one with the amount usually being listed
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Taxes on boats?  Other than sales tax when you buy it, as far as I know it is just an annual registration just like your car.   I pay $10/year for my canoe w/ numbers so I can run it w/ an electric trolling motor....

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
i’ll clarify. in sc, at least, there’s property tax on boats every year like on a car.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I start a new job in May. I have some family who is helping me out by putting me up for a few weeks to a month while I get myself settled in at the new job.

The job is on the north end of Jacksonville in Imeson Park. I'm a fan of living in a rural setting. Any housing within 30 minutes of that area?

I'm into bass fishing and it looks like the lower basin is going to be mostly brackish water. Am I going to have to drive an hour or more to get to good fresh water bass fishing in the middle basin? What are taxes like on boats?

View Quote

Look up the road off of yellow bluff down maybe the black hammock area, if you go a little further north  to Yulee/Nassauville there is some nice fishing spots and there are some pretty rural areas there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicles-tags-titles/vessels/vessel-titling-registrations/

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
i saw that and figured i had to be missing something. since had it confirmed by someone else. just registration fees annually.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where in SC are you coming from? An old coworker and I both left the state and came to FL around the same time. He ended up in the Jax area and I'm in the Daytona area now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#8]
i’m from a small community about an hour north west of charleston. about six months ago i moved to santee, sc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotcha, where he lives in great compared to where I'm at. He lives in the green cove springs area. I lived in Lugoff for 12 years and I'm ready to go back.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#10]
i’m going to try to keep my place in the lake here, because i’d like to retire here, but if i have to sell it is what it is.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i’m going to try to keep my place in the lake here, because i’d like to retire here, but if i have to sell it is what it is.
View Quote

Definitely try, I kept my house there. Currently renting it out to a nice mil family.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Yulee should fit the bill.  Callahan if traffic doesn't stretch the time.  

It's a shame you don't like salkwater mud flat fishing as it's some of the best in the country.

I have a vacancy at a rental on the west side.  Not ideal but it's a roof.  Not sure of the rental markets out in the more rural areas.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I salt water fish, but my boat is strictly fresh water.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd definitely look around the New Berlin area. I have or have had several friends that live in the area and they speak well of it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#15]
If you like really rural, Hilliard area.  St. Mary's River is fresh enough and good for small boats.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I still sorta kick myself for not buying a place in Hilliard. It was 5 acres with a pole barn and a pond. The house was the same size we were in, though. Hindsight 20/20.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for Yulee and Callahan areas. I own a condo on Amelia Island but I'm looking to buy property in the Callahan/Hilliard area to build when I retire in five years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top