Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2020 1:34:38 PM EDT
Relocating soon™ to the Tampa Bay area once this COVID-19 insanity dies down. What areas should I avoid?

Location-wise somewhere in South Tampa near MacDill would be ideal to be close to work, but my dollars don't seem to go as far as I'm used to in that part of town.

Leaning towards renting as it doesn't seem like a great time to be buying... though I don't know the Tampa Bay market. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a tough spot as anything south of Kennedy Ave. is going to be on the high side, or not much house for the money. You may find a diamond in the rough, but those are becoming very hard to find in that area. Also, be careful of flooding south of Kennedy Ave.

Some will tell you Brandon/Valrico area would be good, but then you face the traffic there. Anything across the bay would put you back in traffic again. It really depends on what you are willing to put up with.

Oh, do not listen to the people who will try to tell you traffic is not that bad in Tampa Bay(you can go from south Tampa to Clearwater in 20 min.), they are delusional. Really doesn't matter what part of The Bay area you are in, that is the reality of it.

There are lots of nice areas, but there are trade offs with any of them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly renting first and feeling out the area isn't a bad idea. There are 1001 variables. Schools, price range, commute, and another 998. Tampa is a big town. Traffic can be a bitch, it has both toll and no toll routes, and it is a bit tough to nail down what is acceptable to you. Most of the better options are going to be a bit of a commute. E. Tampa (Brandon, Valrico), Carrolwood, NOK (North of Kennedy), SOK, the options are endless.

If I am able to swing my next big move, I am gonna rent first. A year lease is just about right to figure out the area. Tougher on Kids though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of South Tampa will be expensive.
Traffic sucks here, it's really bad, no it's very bad, thanks to all the New Yorker's moving here.
Did I say traffic sucks here?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
South of Gandy near Macdill is still a rough area.

Good luck lol.

North St Pete is nice. Brandon is a bedroom communities. Pass.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh, do not listen to the people who will try to tell you traffic is not that bad in Tampa Bay(you can go from south Tampa to Clearwater in 20 min.), they are delusional. Really doesn't matter what part of The Bay area you are in, that is the reality of it.
View Quote

I live next to Clearwater, this man is correct.  If you commute across the bay for work, you will hate your life.

Look at the NOAA hurricane flood maps, try to avoid flood zones.  Irma came very close to the nightmare scenario of coming precisely into the bay as a Cat 4-5, which would have flooded vast portions of St Pete and Tampa.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Traffic sucks here, it's really bad, no it's very bad, thanks to all the New Yorker's moving here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is that only the "normal" 8-5 commute or would that also be true at 6AM? Google maps looking back in January/February pre-COVID-19 seems like 6AM traffic isn't nearly as bad.

Quoted:

I live next to Clearwater, this man is correct.  If you commute across the bay for work, you will hate your life.

Look at the NOAA hurricane flood maps, try to avoid flood zones.  Irma came very close to the nightmare scenario of coming precisely into the bay as a Cat 4-5, which would have flooded vast portions of St Pete and Tampa.

Thanks for the tip. Looked at NOAA and at the "Know Your Zone" evac maps and it looks like that's enough reason for me to look outside of south Tampa.

Any issues with Citrus Park, Temple Terrace or Carrollwood/Lake Magdalene? Seems like commute from those areas wouldn't be too bad. Tampa Palms area looks nice but might be stretching it a bit on the commute and it's far from everything else...

Quoted:
Honestly renting first and feeling out the area isn't a bad idea. There are 1001 variables. Schools, price range, commute, and another 998.

No kids yet. Priority is a safe, quiet neighborhood - schools don't matter as I will likely lease for a bit before I consider any opportunities to buy.

Thanks to all for the info so far.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:33:53 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as areas to avoid, I'd stay out of the area east of 275 between downtown and MLK. I don't know that you'd want to be this far north anyway, but the general area west of USF and north of Fletcher is a well-known and long-standing bad part of town. In my experience that area can be extended southward to Busch Blvd as well. Carrollwood always seems pretty nice when I drive through, and Temple Terrace is pretty decent.

We're actually getting a new home built in Riverview for only a little more than what we were seeing for resale homes in the area. Riverview/Gibsonton may work for you if you don't mind paying the toll for the Selmon. Valrico is pretty nice but your commute starts getting pretty bad from there I'd imagine. North Saint Pete might be a good option as well with the understanding that the level of suck for your commute will depend entirely on traffic on the Gandy or Howard Frankland bridges. If you're on the road at 6-630 you should be able to avoid the morning rush but things will start picking up rapidly and stay clogged until probably 10 from there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is that only the "normal" 8-5 commute or would that also be true at 6AM? Google maps looking back in January/February pre-COVID-19 seems like 6AM traffic isn't nearly as bad.

Thanks for the tip. Looked at NOAA and at the "Know Your Zone" evac maps and it looks like that's enough reason for me to look outside of south Tampa.

Any issues with Citrus Park, Temple Terrace or Carrollwood/Lake Magdalene? Seems like commute from those areas wouldn't be too bad. Tampa Palms area looks nice but might be stretching it a bit on the commute and it's far from everything else...

No kids yet. Priority is a safe, quiet neighborhood - schools don't matter as I will likely lease for a bit before I consider any opportunities to buy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Honestly renting first and feeling out the area isn't a bad idea. There are 1001 variables. Schools, price range, commute, and another 998.

most people associate "rush hour traffic" as 8am and 5pm. our area is different. we have rush hour from sun up to sun down. it is usually decent after 7-8pm. my wife has lived here for 20 years (from small town alabama) she tells me all the time "we're gonna miss the 5pm rush hour" (when she is running late), i usually reply "just in time for the other rush hours".
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Ruskin, Apollo Beach area called South Shore.

Straight up hwy 41 to crosstown to McDill area.

Not as crowded as Tampa area and most certainly stay out of Brandon area. South shore is taking off like a rocket though.

Lots of real estate and rentals. Have a few guys that work at McDill AFB living in my AO.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know what your budget is. Look in 33625 and 33626.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not as crowded as Tampa area and most certainly stay out of Brandon area. South shore is taking off like a rocket though.

Lots of real estate and rentals. Have a few guys that work at McDill AFB living in my AO.  

View Quote

Commuting is a cast iron bitch from South Shore.  There are only three ways to cross the Alafia River without driving way east: US 41, I-75 and US 301.  All are packed during rush hour.

I live in Valrico and commuted to Downtown Tampa until April 1 when I retired.  I worked 7am to 4pm, and the drive was about thirty minutes in the morning and forty minutes in the afternoon for a 12 mile commute along SR 60.  Commute times jump dramatically later you leave home/work.  A 5pm commute for me would be over an hour.

Look at elevation/flood maps.  Any roads in those may get flooded on a regular basis during the rainy season.   We average around 45 inches of rain a year.  Some afternoon thunderstorms can dump a couple of inches in an hour.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Commuting is a cast iron bitch from South Shore.WRONG  There are only three ways to cross the Alafia River without driving way east: US 41, I-75 and US 301.  All are packed during rush hour.

I live in Valrico and commuted to Downtown Tampa until April 1 when I retired.  I worked 7am to 4pm, and the drive was about thirty minutes in the morning and forty minutes in the afternoon for a 12 mile commute along SR 60.  Commute times jump dramatically later you leave home/work.  A 5pm commute for me would be over an hour.

Look at elevation/flood maps.  Any roads in those may get flooded on a regular basis during the rainy season.   We average around 45 inches of rain a year.  Some afternoon thunderstorms can dump a couple of inches in an hour.

View Quote

That flooding comment
That not true. I've lived here on W. Shell Point Rd for 22 years. It flooded here at my home once in 22 years. That was in 1996. Did not quite make it to my home but was close.

My FIRE RESCUE stations I worked at 99% of the time was Sun City Center #28 Ruskin #17 Apollo Beach #29 I think can't remember and Gibsonton #12 right across from Wal-Mart and about a 100 yrs or so down from it.

Yes there are rds that flood because of drainage. But that is very far and few in between. Working for Hillsborough County Fire Rescue and living here on W. She'll Point Rd for 22 years. I'd think I would know about the floods here. Plus area traffic all the way to Brandon area. Since I transport patients to Brandon. Also St Joseph, Tampa General ect.

There are places that do flood in Hillsborough County exactly like you described and Ruskin, Apollo Beach is not one of them. Sure there are very old low housing areas.

Mostly retirement trailor parks. That have flooded during extreme weather condition. But not bad unless it was a hurricane or topical storm and they are right on the Little Manatee river inlet areas.

Heck Riverview and the lower lying areas flood really really bad during rainy season. They are in the NEWS every year.

Now if it rains alot. It will flood in alot of places in Hillsborough County. Even in your area. The new subdivisions they have and are building is at least 11ft above flood level now per codes. Either that or are stilt houses.

But you are way out of line on your comment on flooding here. I live right on the water here and it has never been any water under my home. My house is about 20ft from the water too.

Traffic on st rd 41 down to the crosstown is way better than driving in the Valrico/Lithia and Brandon area.

I grew up in PLANT CITY and saw the over development of those areas destroy a once beautiful part of Hillsborough County.

There is one thing I'm positive of. If you gave me a house in Valrico, Lithia or Brandon I'd not take or sell it immediately. Because there is no way in hell with the traffic I'd live there.

Yes you morning commute at that time is great. 4pm is not too horrible. But at 5pm or later screw that.

I worked a few stations in that area. I hated it other than it was a nice change of scenery from South county.

But to compare South county to Valrico, Lithia and Brandon or Tampa area is ridicules and silly. You can't.....like I said. I grew up in those areas and worked them all my life. Except while I was in the Army.

Sure we've gotten more traffic here in South Shore area. Than when I first moved here. Because the county is trying to destroy it by over building. Just like they did in Valrico, Lithia and Brandon.

It really sucks what they are doing here. But it's nothing like you described. Yes there are 3 major rds. State Rd 41, I-75 and 301. Just forget about 301 going through Riverview at rush hour. It's as bad as hwy 60 (Adamo Dr)

But we still have an accounting office in PLANT CITY and it takes about 45 mins to drive there from here. Oh yeah going to PLANT CITY to can take State Rd 674(college rd) to State Rd 39 and on into PLANT CITY love that drive.

I've traveled to a station at Dale Mabry and Waters Ave. Back behind the BURGER KING several times. I practically could not leave the FIRE station parking lot because of morning traffic and the butt heads would not let you out.

It took me an hour to drive to and from Ruskin to Waters and Dale Maybry.

But it's absolutely nothing like you described. Except for 301 screw that. But they are 4 or 6 laning 301 from Sun City Center to Summerfield. Oh yeah forgot worked station #3 also at Summerfield.

South County is a great place to live. Close to skyway bridge and fishing piers. Simmons county park is right here. Little Manatee River state Park.

Oh yeah also an outdoor private gun range. Membership is required it's like 35.00 a year. Guncraft on 24th ave or 21st street depending on which address they use. Great little range.

Plus a really nice park at end of Apollo Beach Blvd. To the right. Boat ramps everywhere. Crime is better than alot of areas.

It's way better than Valrico, Lithia and Brandon and even Plant City which I love. I've lived in all those areas too when younger.

But to McDill area. Just down 41 to Causeway Blvd. Turn left and take it to crosstown. It dead ends on Gandy go right and McDill Blvd is just down the rd. I've driven that is as little as 35 mins and yes I was speeding.

But again it's nothing like you described. Most certainly nothing like Valrico, Lithia and Brandon. I do not know how people can tolerate living there with the traffic and do many people.

I'm not being a smart ass towards you. But you do not know anything about South Hillsborough County. I've lived, worked here for over 22 years. I'll be 59 this year and have lived in Hillsborough County all my life.

I've ran emergency calls in pretty much all of Hillsborough County. Valrico, Lithia Pinecrest and Brandon is by far they worst area for congestion. Except for Malfunction junction. I-4 and I-275 interchange.

Also lived and worked in you AO.  Never in a million years would I live in that area again. I've sit at the traffic light at 301 and 60 (Adamo dr) a few times for at least 45 to 60 minutes during rush hour and that.  

But because of the times you leave for work and leave work for home is pretty good time. Again yes 301 is horrible now because of all the new subdivisions they've built there between Riverview and Sun City Center.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That flooding comment
That not true. I've lived here on W. Shell Point Rd for 22 years. It flooded here at my home once in 22 years. That was in 1996. Did not quite make it to my home but was close.

My FIRE RESCUE stations I worked at 99% of the time was Sun City Center #28 Ruskin #17 Apollo Beach #29 I think can't remember and Gibsonton #12 right across from Wal-Mart and about a 100 yrs or so down from it.

Yes there are rds that flood because of drainage. But that is very far and few in between. Working for Hillsborough County Fire Rescue and living here on W. She'll Point Rd for 22 years. I'd think I would know about the floods here. Plus area traffic all the way to Brandon area. Since I transport patients to Brandon. Also St Joseph, Tampa General ect.

There are places that do flood in Hillsborough County exactly like you described and Ruskin, Apollo Beach is not one of them. Sure there are very old low housing areas.

Mostly retirement trailor parks. That have flooded during extreme weather condition. But not bad unless it was a hurricane or topical storm and they are right on the Little Manatee river inlet areas.

Heck Riverview and the lower lying areas flood really really bad during rainy season. They are in the NEWS every year.

Now if it rains alot. It will flood in alot of places in Hillsborough County. Even in your area. The new subdivisions they have and are building is at least 11ft above flood level now per codes. Either that or are stilt houses.

But you are way out of line on your comment on flooding here. I live right on the water here and it has never been any water under my home. My house is about 20ft from the water too.

Traffic on st rd 41 down to the crosstown is way better than driving in the Valrico/Lithia and Brandon area.

I grew up in PLANT CITY and saw the over development of those areas destroy a once beautiful part of Hillsborough County.

There is one thing I'm positive of. If you gave me a house in Valrico, Lithia or Brandon I'd not take or sell it immediately. Because there is no way in hell with the traffic I'd live there.

Yes you morning commute at that time is great. 4pm is not too horrible. But at 5pm or later screw that.

I worked a few stations in that area. I hated it other than it was a nice change of scenery from South county.

But to compare South county to Valrico, Lithia and Brandon or Tampa area is ridicules and silly. You can't.....like I said. I grew up in those areas and worked them all my life. Except while I was in the Army.

Sure we've gotten more traffic here in South Shore area. Than when I first moved here. Because the county is trying to destroy it by over building. Just like they did in Valrico, Lithia and Brandon.

It really sucks what they are doing here. But it's nothing like you described. Yes there are 3 major rds. State Rd 41, I-75 and 301. Just forget about 301 going through Riverview at rush hour. It's as bad as hwy 60 (Adamo Dr)

But we still have an accounting office in PLANT CITY and it takes about 45 mins to drive there from here. Oh yeah going to PLANT CITY to can take State Rd 674(college rd) to State Rd 39 and on into PLANT CITY love that drive.

I've traveled to a station at Dale Mabry and Waters Ave. Back behind the BURGER KING several times. I practically could not leave the FIRE station parking lot because of morning traffic and the butt heads would not let you out.

But it's absolutely nothing like you described. Except for 301 screw that. But they are 4 or 6 laning 301 from Sun City Center to Summerfield. Oh yeah forgot worked station #3 also at Summerfield.

South County is a great place to live. Close to skyway bridge and fishing piers. Simmons county park is right here. Little Manatee River state Park.

Oh yeah also an outdoor private gun range. Membership is required it's like 35.00 a year. Guncraft on 24th ave or 21st street depending on which address they use. Great little range.

Plus a really nice park at end of Apollo Beach Blvd. To the right. Boat ramps everywhere. Crime is better than alot of areas.

It's way better than Valrico, Lithia and Brandon and even Plant City which I love. I've lived in all those areas too when younger.

But to McDill area. Just down 41 to Causeway Blvd. Turn left and take it to crosstown. It dead ends on Gandy go right and McDill Blvd is just down the rd. I've driven that is as little as 35 mins and yes I was speeding.

But again it's nothing like you described. Most certainly nothing like Valrico, Lithia and Brandon. I do not know how people can tolerate living there with the traffic and do many people.

I'm not being a smart ass towards you. But you do not know anything about South Hillsborough County. I've lived, worked here for over 22 years. I'll be 59 this year and have lived in Hillsborough County all my life.

I've ran emergency calls in pretty much all of Hillsborough County. Valrico, Lithia Pinecrest and Brandon is by far they worst area for congestion. Except for Malfunction junction. I-4 and I-275 interchange.

Also lived and worked in you AO.  Never in a million years would I live in that area again. I've sit at the traffic light at 301 and 60 (Adamo dr) a few times for at least 45 to 60 minutes during rush hour and that.  

But because of the times you leave for work and leave work for home is pretty good time. Again yes 301 is horrible now because of all the new subdivisions they've built there between Riverview and Sun City Center.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/94613/DSCN2199_zpsb6fccb7e-847765.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/94613/17-262110.jpg

View Quote

Ok.  Since you didn't quote my post, I'll put it in a code block.

Commuting is a cast iron bitch from South Shore.  There are only three ways to cross the Alafia River without driving way east: US 41, I-75 and US 301.  All are packed during rush hour.

My comment about commuting from South Shore was directed to OP who mentioned he would be working on the Interbay Peninsula.  Driving from Ruskin or even Gibsonton would be a timely drive, especially since 41 is under construction near Riverview Drive.

My flood comment is above, and I don't see any inconsistencies in it.

I'm also a native, turned 62 this month. However, I did leave the area for fifteen years while on active duty.

I grew up in Clair-Mel City up to 1974 when my old man bought some acreage at Big Bend and 301. Graduated from East Bay High.  There was nothing there.  I remember when Jerry Bowmer told my old man that that part of the County would never be developed.  

My last job was in Real Estate as part of the team that had Chief Jones (among others) as customers.   I've driven on just about every road in the County at every time of day and I'm aware of just about all the develop growth.

South Shore (gawd I hate that name) has enough programmed growth to make Brandon look like a ghost town.  Again, only three routes North unless you want to take 39.  Up to a couple of weeks ago, PUD was certifying 200 water meters a day in the South Shore area.  

Now it's a great area if you don't have to leave it.  Everything is right there.   Just like Valrico.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That flooding comment

View Quote

Not really on topic, but you and I are not far from each other.  I’m on the extreme north edge of technical Riverview per the post office at 301 & Falkenburg.  Thankfully I travel the state for work and am not really affected by “regular” commute-time traffic.

Just wanted to identify myself as local to you- I’ve been on here for years and have seen you around this place forever.  I also have a good friend who works for HCFR and another who is a district chief for Tampa Fire.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ok.  Since you didn't quote my post, I'll put it in a code block.

My comment about commuting from South Shore was directed to OP who mentioned he would be working on the Interbay Peninsula.  Driving from Ruskin or even Gibsonton would be a timely drive, especially since 41 is under construction near Riverview Drive.

My flood comment is above, and I don't see any inconsistencies in it.

I'm also a native, turned 62 this month. However, I did leave the area for fifteen years while on active duty.

I grew up in Clair-Mel City up to 1974 when my old man bought some acreage at Big Bend and 301. Graduated from East Bay High.  There was nothing there.  I remember when Jerry Bowmer told my old man that that part of the County would never be developed.  

My last job was in Real Estate as part of the team that had Chief Jones (among others) as customers.   I've driven on just about every road in the County at every time of day and I'm aware of just about all the develop growth.

South Shore (gawd I hate that name) has enough programmed growth to make Brandon look like a ghost town.  Again, only three routes North unless you want to take 39.  Up to a couple of weeks ago, PUD was certifying 200 water meters a day in the South Shore area.  

Now it's a great area if you don't have to leave it.  Everything is right there.   Just like Valrico.
View Quote

OK sorry if I offended you
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

OK sorry if I offended you
View Quote

It's all good.  I'm jelly of your view though....
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not really on topic, but you and I are not far from each other.  I’m on the extreme north edge of technical Riverview per the post office at 301 & Falkenburg.  Thankfully I travel the state for work and am not really affected by “regular” commute-time traffic.

Just wanted to identify myself as local to you- I’ve been on here for years and have seen you around this place forever.  I also have a good friend who works for HCFR and another who is a district chief for Tampa Fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That flooding comment

Me also, when things loosen up. Let go shoot and if my buddy will let me we can go hog hunting. I'll furnish night vision and weapon with thermal scope.

I just found it unjust for what was said about South Hillsborough County. But we are good to go.

I am truely sorry for my stupid comments. I apoligize for them. I wish you the best of luck and stay safe with this dumb virus.

I over stepped my bounds.

Mack

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry if I offended you.  Was not my intention.  I'm out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me also, when things loosen up. Let go shoot and if my buddy will let me we can go hog hunting. I'll furnish night vision and weapon with thermal scope.

I just found it unjust for what was said about South Hillsborough County. By someone that knows nothing about it.

Like it floods and traffic is so bad. I found that funny coming from someone living in the Valrico. Lithia and Brandon area.

But I guess I  insulted his intelligence. Which was not what I meant to do. I just wanted to educate him.

Either way I'll keep you in mind when everything gets back to normal. I'm unsubscribing from this post. Because I live in a horrible area and have no need to leave it or some stupid comment like that.

Plus this comment.

Really I'm stopping here because I do not need a COC violation. When's the last time you we're here. You live in the most traffic congested area in the county. I grew up there not where you did.

But I've can't stand real estate agents who think they know areas. Btw besides owning an accounting office. My wife is a broker with THIS SOLD HOUSE. I know the market very well. I buy and sell houses.

Also South Hillsborough County is no longer a ghost town. Well maybe if compared to the over populated area your in. With traffic from hell.

I'm gone good luck working off of commissions.

You did not offend me. Please accept my apology. I'd have a beer with you anytime. I was out of line. I changed that post. It was rude and IM sorry.
I feel horrible for saying that. I was so wrong.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just found it unjust for what was said about South Hillsborough County. But we are good to go.

I am truely sorry for my stupid comments. I apoligize for them. I wish you the best of luck and stay safe with this dumb virus.

I over stepped my bounds.

Mack

View Quote

Now you’re talking my language.  I’m all set up with a Trijicon thermal and PVS-14 and regularly hunt coyotes and hogs with a couple of friends, one being @Bowhntr6pt .  It’s always good to grow the network of like-minded people so maybe we can hook up one of these days.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are going to work at Macdill you may want to rent first to get the vibe of the area.   There are some nice apartments off of Westshore near Macdill.  

Buying in South Tampa will cost you but you can still find some deals.

The area South of Gandy blvd is changing fast.   The trash down there is being forced out by the pricing.

You may want to look at North St Pete, the commute on Gandy and the bridge will be shorter once the overpass/cut is done in about a year.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread has my interest. Talking with a company in St Pete (do locals say that?).

Interesting opportunity to move away from the Left Coast.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This thread has my interest. Talking with a company in St Pete (do locals say that?).
View Quote

Yep. Nobody calls it St Petersburg.  Just “St Pete”
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Interesting opportunity to move away from the Left Coast.

Thanks
View Quote

Even though I moved, I can give you info on St Pete
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

X2, living in the same area for another month or two.  Wife has been at MacDill for 2+ years now.  Commute with traffic can be 40-60 minutes, with this virus crap going on the commute is 30 minutes or less no matter the time of day unless there is an accident.

For about a month or two we lived right outside the gate of MacDill, the house was a dump and the community even more so.  One night had two random black guys jump the yard fence and knock on the door asking to use the phone(wife's friend answered it ), were obviously going to rob us until they noticed I was armed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

X2, living in the same area for another month or two.  Wife has been at MacDill for 2+ years now.  Commute with traffic can be 40-60 minutes, with this virus crap going on the commute is 30 minutes or less no matter the time of day unless there is an accident.

For about a month or two we lived right outside the gate of MacDill, the house was a dump and the community even more so.  One night had two random black guys jump the yard fence and knock on the door asking to use the phone(wife's friend answered it ), were obviously going to rob us until they noticed I was armed.
View Quote

I had no idea it had gotten that bad over there. I went with my wife last week to put up a realtor sign, measure and take pictures of a house on Rogers St.

Drove down McDill and on some side streets to look at what was listed, all I can say is wow. If you gave me a place I would not live there.

But house on Rogers St has already sold believe it or not. Did not last a week. Old house too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By amediocreshooter:
South of Gandy near Macdill is still a rough area. 

Good luck lol. 

North St Pete is nice. Brandon is a bedroom communities. Pass.
View Quote

True about some SOG areas. If I had a crystal ball I'm positive the area of tiny homes around Madison Jr High and around Robinson high will eventually be torn down and replaced by McMansions. There are still some modest bargain fixeruppers but you have to be willing to put in the work. I predict the entire peninsula will one day be like a huge high end Davis Islands. We're both Ex life long Palma Ceia residents, we cashed out and downsized to our lakeplace in ONF back in mid '18. I could never live in the city again.

Good luck shopping!

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Just moved here in February and snagged a house in Ruskin on a pond built in 2015 for $1500/month. Obviously the trade off is driving through traffic but I sometimes wonder if the “Tampa traffic is terrible” people lack perspective.

I came from Austin and traffic here is a dream.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just moved here in February and snagged a house in Ruskin on a pond built in 2015 for $1500/month. Obviously the trade off is driving through traffic but I sometimes wonder if the "Tampa traffic is terrible" people lack perspective.

I came from Austin and traffic here is a dream.

View Quote
*Quarantine traffic is a dream.

Give it some time.  You'll love being on I-75 at Big Bend when everyone is back to work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By copperhead035:
*Quarantine traffic is a dream.

Give it some time.  You'll love being on I-75 at Big Bend when everyone is back to work.
View Quote

No kidding. He’s lived here like six minutes.

>PantherArms moves to FL in February
>Governor Shutdown schools and businesses in March.
>PantherArms: “Traffic is a dream!”

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Consider Thonotosassa. It's like Florida from 50 years ago. Commute would likely be not much more than Brandon.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By amediocreshooter:

No kidding. He’s lived here like six minutes. 

>PantherArms moves to FL in February
>Governor Shutdown schools and businesses in March. 
>PantherArms: “Traffic is a dream!” 

View Quote

I was here a month before anyone even uttered the word Covid.

And Im on the road all for my job so I got to take a good look from Ruskin to New Port Richey.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#33]
He said areas to avoid:

Clair-Mel
Seminole Heights
Progress Village
University Area
Temple Terrace
Gibsonton  

Someone needs to help me out with the bad parts on the West Side
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By disparcher91:
He said areas to avoid:

Clair-Mel
Seminole Heights
Progress Village
University Area
Temple Terrace
Gibsonton  

Someone needs to help me out with the bad parts on the West Side
View Quote

Town N' Cuba ain't what it used to be.

I'll warn anyone, the only 275 exits to take are Dale Mabry and Westshore/Airport. Any others, keep your head on a swivel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By stpeteaustin:
If you are going to work at Macdill you may want to rent first to get the vibe of the area.   There are some nice apartments off of Westshore near Macdill.  

Buying in South Tampa will cost you but you can still find some deals. 

The area South of Gandy blvd is changing fast.   The trash down there is being forced out by the pricing. 

You may want to look at North St Pete, the commute on Gandy and the bridge will be shorter once the overpass/cut is done in about a year.  
View Quote

If working on MacDill,  use their campground until permanent thing is figured out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I lived in Temple Terrace up until about a year ago and I'm not sure why people are saying it's bad. Decent area that is pretty close to everything and not the worst traffic.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Please nuke the I4/I75 interchange.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
He said areas to avoid:

Clair-Mel
Seminole Heights
Progress Village
University Area
Temple Terrace
Gibsonton  

Someone needs to help me out with the bad parts on the West Side
View Quote

I'm right between Clair-Mel, Progress Village and Gibsonton   luckily just renting though. What would be some nicer, safe, solidly middle class areas that would be good choices to live in?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By copperhead035:

I'm right between Clair-Mel, Progress Village and Gibsonton    luckily just renting though. What would be some nicer, safe, solidly middle class areas that would be good choices to live in?
View Quote

Are you wanting to stay in Tampa, or are you willing to go across the bay?  In Tampa, Palma Ciea and Bayshore are nice (though they can be expensive).  Go across the bay, and Safety Harbor is amazing (ahem, i would know.. ), as is Dunedin. Largo also has good areas right by the bay if you want to stick closer to the water.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Are you wanting to stay in Tampa, or are you willing to go across the bay?  In Tampa, Palma Ciea and Bayshore are nice (though they can be expensive).  Go across the bay, and Safety Harbor is amazing (ahem, i would know.. ), as is Dunedin. Largo also has good areas right by the bay if you want to stick closer to the water.
View Quote

I'd certainly rather be closer to the water, right now it's an hour drive to Clearwater, Siesta Key, Anna Maria Island, Fort De Soto, or Honeymoon Island.

My wife works for Baycare and in 6 months would be eligible to transfer to another hospital (she's at St. Joes main right now), I work in north Tampa just off I-75 so Pinellas county would wreck my commute.  We've thought about going further south, maybe as far as Sarasota, and I wouldn't be against finding a new job down there, but if I were to stay in Tampa I'd probably stick with where I'm working at for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top