Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2020 6:48:57 PM EDT
My CCW expires in July, I haven't received any renewal paperwork. Should I worry? If I should what do I need to do?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My CCW expires in July, I haven't received any renewal paperwork. Should I worry? If I should what do I need to do?
View Quote

Around here, we just go to the DMV and renew, and it takes all of about 20 minutes. You might call ahead, tell them when it expires, and ask when you can come and renew. I think you can renew as much as 90 days prior to expiration. However, I am certain they will not let you do it over a year before expiring. I tried that once, didn't work.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You won't get any paperwork.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Florida-concealed-carry-license-courtesy-legallyarmed.com_.jpg

Democrat Nikki Fried, Florida's Commissioner of Agriculture & Consumer Services, is in charge of processing the state's concealed carry permit applications. She has announced through a press release that her office is halting the processing of all conceal carry permit applications through at least April 19 due to the Chinese coronavirus pandemic.
View Quote

I am in Nassau County. We can just go to the DMV and renew if we want. Is it different elsewhere in FL? I understand the current situation would halt processing of new applications, but I'm not understanding how it halts renewals. Help me out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Florida-concealed-carry-license-courtesy-legallyarmed.com_.jpg

Democrat Nikki Fried, Florida's Commissioner of Agriculture & Consumer Services, is in charge of processing the state's concealed carry permit applications. She has announced through a press release that her office is halting the processing of all conceal carry permit applications through at least April 19 due to the Chinese coronavirus pandemic.

Florida Carry is challenging the move. Why? Because a right delayed is a right denied.

They're calling on Governor Ron DeSantis to waive the fingerprinting requirement or, short of that, temporarily make Florida a constitutional carry state during the emergency.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/1101.jpg
Courtesy - Email blast from Florida Carry, March 23, 2020.

TTAG Article

No word from Marion Hammer or the NRA on this issue. Since Florida has no Unrestricted Method of Carry like other states. It is a CCW or nothing. We don't have unrestricted non permit required Open Carry. Hell, Open Carry is illegal except for when you're on your property or actively hunting, fishing, or camping. If you're just going about your day like let's say to Publix to get baby formula. Nope, you can't legally open carry and if you don't have a CCW pemrit, you can't legally conceal carry either.

View Quote

I have emailed and tried to call Desantis and ask that he wave the waiting period to buy a firearm during this state of emergency also, and I called Florida Carry and asked if they could help contact the Governor.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Local DMV is closed of course...
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#6]
@GaryM

Once they open back up go to the one on 19. 29399 U.S. Highway 19 N., Clearwater. Make an appointment a head of time. I just did mine 2 weeks ago, it took longer to park then to get my renewal permit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am in Nassau County. We can just go to the DMV and renew if we want. Is it different elsewhere in FL? I understand the current situation would halt processing of new applications, but I'm not understanding how it halts renewals. Help me out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the offices are CLOSED, some have been for near a week now. ymmv.

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like what Florida carry is doing asking the Governor to suspend open carry and concealed carry enforcement  during a state of emergency, I'm hoping that that they also include waving the wait time/cool off period after purchasing a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I like what Florida carry is doing asking the Governor to suspend open carry and concealed carry enforcement  during a state of emergency, I'm hoping that that they also include waving the wait time/cool off period after purchasing a firearm.
View Quote

Nice idea, but it will never happen. He would receive way too much flak for even suggesting it. Too many have acquired a taste for feel good 'gun control' that achieves nothing else.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Tried using the online renewal?  May be a longshot

https://cwrex.freshfromflorida.com/
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Somewhat of a thread hijack.

I need to get fingerprinted so I can apply by mail for my CCW (NOT renewal, first time).  Can I use a Silencershop Kiosk for this if I can't get a police/sheriff department to do it right now?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I need to get fingerprinted so I can apply by mail for my CCW (NOT renewal, first time).  Can I use a Silencershop Kiosk for this if I can't get a police/sheriff department to do it right now?
View Quote

I have a kiosk and as far as I know none of that 'personal information' can be used outside of the SS system, aside from NFA Branch receiving it, of course. Maybe a shop near you can do some ink rolled ones for you. I keep FD-258 cards and ink here, but have never tried it. The kiosk eliminated the need to do it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
DeSantis in my opinion will do no such thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DeSantis in my opinion will do no such thing.

OMG they be blood in the streets.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Department  of AG issued a bulletin to Law Enforcement that CWPs were extended 30 days past expiration dont remember if it is plus 30 during state if emergency till it ends but the idea is its obvious you can't renew so its a quick fix.

For a Florida CWP you have to have fingerprints taken by a law enforcement agency if you are using a hard card according to the website dont think that has always been the case but it is now and that aint gonna happen till this shit is over with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Department  of AG issued a bulletin to Law Enforcement that CWPs were extended 30 days past expiration dont remember if it is plus 30 during state if emergency till it ends but the idea is its obvious you can't renew so its a quick fix.

For a Florida CWP you have to have fingerprints taken by a law enforcement agency if you are using a hard card according to the website dont think that has always been the case but it is now and that aint gonna happen till this shit is over with.
View Quote

Great info, especially that last bit about prints by LE only.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine expires in June and I just got the paper work in the mail on March 21st.You will  be about a month behind me. I would not be worried at this time . And I think they are giving you an extra month past the expire date because of the virus.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well poop.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have a kiosk and as far as I know none of that 'personal information' can be used outside of the SS system, aside from NFA Branch receiving it, of course. Maybe a shop near you can do some ink rolled ones for you. I keep FD-258 cards and ink here, but have never tried it. The kiosk eliminated the need to do it.
View Quote
Are you near Tampa?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want anything out in the open.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are you near Tampa?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want anything out in the open.
View Quote

No, I'm in Yulee, FL, North of Jax.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Guess I will watch for a renewal notice and if not then get in line first thing on the morning of April 19th.
I swear, I thought it would take some sort of unprecedented disaster for things to get this fucked up but yet here we are.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Guess I will watch for a renewal notice and if not then get in line first thing on the morning of April 19th.
I swear, I thought it would take some sort of unprecedented disaster for things to get this fucked up but yet here we are.
View Quote

It doesn't take much. I suppose the good news is that if it gets bad enough none of us will need to renew our carry license
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This makes it sound like that is no longer an option:

Florida shuts down online concealed-weapon license app

Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried has shut down the online app for a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License, (CWFL).

There’s no reason given for the unusual move, other than a brief note: “Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) precautions, you will not be able to apply online for a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License.”

Instead, applicants are told they can download the CWFL application and mail it to Fried’s department.

Now I’m certainly not an epidemiologist, but lately I’ve read enough about the coronavirus to understand it lives on the surfaces of things, like paper envelopes or paper CWFL applications.

I haven’t yet heard that the virus can be transmitted online so, to me, Fried’s thinking is a bit backwards.

I could understand — in an abundance of caution — cancelling paper CWFL applications to safeguard her employees, but certainly not the online app, right?

This makes no sense from an antivirus perspective.

However, it makes perfect sense from an anti-gun perspective.

In my humble opinion, Fried wants to slow down the CWFL application process because it’s one facet of her office she’s never supported. She is decidedly anti-gun.

Online apps are much faster than snail mail, and she knows this.

Shame on you, Commissioner Fried. Your actions and the reasons behind them are blatantly obvious.

I hope Gov. Ron DeSantis holds you accountable.

Fried’s office did not immediately return calls seeking comment for this column.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Low hanging fruit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just got fingerprinted for some NFA stuff at a local place that does it.

Not electronic like at the state offices...

They will accept those as far as I know with a mailed in application.

Where about in FL are you?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has been a while since I paid any mind to this stuff but, I think there was a calander limit on how old the prints could be, or it may have been the picture? Can't remember but it was stated some where in the package of paperwork.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:50:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I just got fingerprinted for some NFA stuff at a local place that does it.

Not electronic like at the state offices...

They will accept those as far as I know with a mailed in application.

Where about in FL are you?
View Quote
I'm in the Tampa Bay area
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#28]
The article mentioned above  seems to refer to new applications only. I just googled " fresh from florida ccw renewal " and it appears that the page is still up for renewals , although  you will need the tracking number from the renewal card you were mailed. This is exactly how I renewed mine last time and it was very fast.

https://cwrex.freshfromflorida.com/apply/LicenseFind.aspx
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm in the Tampa Bay area
View Quote

I'm down in the Fort Lauderdale area...

I googled fingerprinting services near me and went from there..
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I just received my renewal application in the mail. It lists a web address you can renew online. You will need the renewal letter, there are a couple of numbers you will need from it. Tracking and license numbers. You will also need an appropriate passport type photo. (Cell phone and a basic photo editor to get it to the right size). I think it took me less than 20 minutes for the whole thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Check with your local DMV, I live in Pinellas County and you can do everything through our North County DMV,  the renewal process is easy
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Well that went well. Received my renewal paperwork in the mail on the 19th (18th?) promptly went online and did the needful and today my new permit arrived in the mail. I am safe for another 7 years!
Actually rather impressed at how fast it all went.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#33]
@GaryM

Quoted:
Well that went well. Received my renewal paperwork in the mail on the 19th (18th?) promptly went online and did the needful and today my new permit arrived in the mail. I am safe for another 7 years!
Actually rather impressed at how fast it all went.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat as you were. My CCW expires on 5/5. You received your renewal letter in the mail on the expiration date? I still have not received mine.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@GaryM

I'm in the same boat as you were. My CCW expires on 5/5. You received your renewal letter in the mail on the expiration date? I still have not received mine.

View Quote

Mine was set to expire this coming July. I think the letters are supposed to go out 6 months before expiration. You might be able to renew at the DMV or whatever office but I think you are going to need to make a few phone calls.
@lestat77
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#35]
I never received a renewal notice because I moved and my mailing address was never updated.

This might be helpful for some:

https://www.fdacs.gov/
I used the live chat found all the way on the bottom of the page.
I asked for my Tracking number (found on the renewal notice that I didn't get, see above)
Chat agent needed my DOB, license number, and the address they have on file.
Agent located the Tracking number and gave it to me.

Use all that info and Renew here (as already posted):
https://cwrex.freshfromflorida.com/apply/LicenseFind.aspx

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering that you did get your CCW permit it actually only takes just takes one anti-gun democrat to be in charge of CCW to fuck things up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#37]
As others mentioned above, the renewal website was really easy. Also you can use a free passport photo app on your smartphone to upload a updated picture of yourself. Save yourself a few bucks from going somewhere to get it taken. Submitted my renewal on Monday and it came today in the mail.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Marian hammer chimed in today:
Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody sent a letter to Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried asking her to stop delaying the processing of Concealed Weapons & Firearms License applications. Warned she is opening Fl to a lawsuit

I think those that have been disenfranchised of their rights need to sue Fried in a class action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top